Just picked this up

Wyrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just got DA in the mail today, and I must say, I'm pretty impressed. I got into this whole computer grognard hobby about six months ago when I discovered Tacops (great game).

After tooling around with DA for a bit, I've found that I really like it. The interface is clean and there is a lot of depth to the sim, yet it doesn't seem too hard to learn (to play if not to win). Very professional. And hard :crosseye: .

So, I am assuming that DA is rather dead these days, judging by the forum usage. Is anyone still playing that would be interested in a game? Any tips for a complete newbie?

I'm kind of surprised that this game hasn't accrued more attention from the community. It seems like a damn nice sim, and the editor looks fully featured. Maybe I'll make a scenario after I get my feet wet. Anyone still interested?

Wyrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! I also managed to find the old file archives here and got all of the scenarios that were posted there. Not that it helps much, as I'm still getting spanked. Got the interface figured out though, and figured out why my attack helos were getting shot down without fighting back. I'm just beginning to learn how to execute the whole modern 'combined arms' strategies necessary to play these games. I must say it's nice to be playing a game that actually teaches as well as entertains.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got DA close to a year ago. Other than piddling around a bit I honestly have not done much with it. I have heard some great things about it though. Gonna have to dig it out and start messing with it.

Although I'm of the bigger is better camp for TacOps I was looking for something that could handle larger battles which is what led me to purchase DA.

Wyrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I hear what you are saying dhuffjr. The interface is pretty intimidating at first, but if you take the time to figure it all out, it's actually quite elegant. I printed out the manual and all the starter guides from the archives here, and I've been able to look up anything I need to do. Actually doing it well.... that's another story :angry:

The main difficulty that I am having is learning how to think like a modern field commander. Most of my wargaming experience comes from close, tactical fighting. You know, run your last Tiger around the base of that hill to catch the Sherman platoon with their pants down while your infantry takes the bridge from the engineers. That kind of thing. So thinking in operational terms is pretty foreign to me, as is modern combined arms theory. I'm just starting to win at Tacops after picking it up again. It's gonna take awhile to get good, I think.

Still, that's why I like these games. I learn stuff as well as have fun. I'd be glad to help you out with DA, or maybe even play a game if you want. LMK.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I hear what you are saying dhuffjr. The interface is pretty intimidating at first, but if you take the time to figure it all out, it's actually quite elegant.
Well, I wouldn't call DA's interface "elegant." In fact, it's just about a perfect example of what a game design school would teach as how not to design an interface! That said, the game itself is elegant in some ways.

My main complaint with DA isn't that it is too complicated, but that it is just a tad too abstract in certain areas. Nevertheless, it is a good game and a worthy addition to the collection of any serious wargamer. It really is a shame that it didn't get more attention from the community. Then again, there was never any serious attempt from the publisher to get DA the attention it deserves.