Just for those players...

Panzerpelle

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
JAMiAM said:
I've been trying to pick up a game of the latest rev, as the Allies. No luck, so far. Would you have time to take on another, Raver? The only games that I've played of any versions of this scenario have been as the Axis, and I'd like to see it from the other side for a change.
I´m available....in pace of 3-4 turns a week.

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Panzerpelle said:
I´m available....in pace of 3-4 turns a week.
Sounds great, Pelle! Thanks. If you'd like to hash out any house rules, I'd like to start with what I proposed in my Axis game against Bdr. Mallette and found here on this post.

Here is my proposed set of house rules.

1) Briefing to be amended as follows:

House Rules (Player enforced), 1st paragraph, 3rd sentence to be changed from:

Play as if an exclusion zone covers non-participating countries until they join either side, although you may ship units through (not to) the ports of a friendly neutral (except for Istanbul).

to:

Play as if an exclusion zone covers non-participating countries until they join either side, although French and Commonwealth units may be sea transported through each others ports. No other neutral ports may be entered, or passed through.

2) No restrictions on entrenching.

3) 20 hex range for airdrops. Air transport that is strictly between two airbases that began the player turn in friendly control is not restricted in range.

4) Naval units which shore bombard, either directly, or indirectly, must remain in the hex from which they shore bombarded throughout the end of their player turn. They must wait until their following player turn to move from the hex which they attacked from. A naval unit may attack/support from only one hex per player turn. These restrictions also apply to naval units used to make airbase attacks.

5) Axis Naval Assault Limit of 1500 tons exists for all target hexes west of the (37,xxx) hex column. This restriction lifted if Gibraltar is controlled by the Axis, or if Spain enters the war on the side of the Axis.

6) Axis Naval Assault Limit of 1500 tons exists for all Mediterranean Sea target hexes east of the (87,xxx) hex column. This restriction lifted if the Axis control Alexandria or any hex of the Suez Canal.

7) No Axis Naval Assaults may be launched in the Indian Ocean, or Red Sea, until Alexandria and ALL hexes of the Suez Canal are Axis-controlled.

8) All Naval Assaults (sea invasions) must be made into anchorage hexes. No disembarking of sea transported units into non-anchorage hexes.

9) Soviet units may not stack with Commonwealth, or US, units. If forced to stack by enemy action, then at the next opportunity they should be unstacked.

10) Minor Allies geographical restrictions, as per the briefing.

11) A hex containing Allied guerrillas in Yugoslavia, or Greece, may not be attacked on the turn that they appear. If the Allied player wishes, they may disband the unit, on their turn. However, regardless of newly arriving reconstituted, or reinforcing units, any such hex that has Allied guerrillas a second turn in a row may be attacked.

Note: This is to allow the Allied player the option to avoid the "reconstituting partisan trap". On the turn that reinforcements arrive, they always arrive supplied. If the Allied player disbands the units on the turn that they arrive, he will get back all of the equipment. If he waits until the following turn, the units will be unsupplied, and they will permanently lose any equipment lost from combat, stragglers, etc. Partisan and Guerrilla icon types will not "bleed off" equipment over time if marked unsupplied, like regular units do, but all other effects of being out of supply still apply to them.

12) There will be no restrictions on types of attacks, bridge-blowing, and other methods of combat, other than those listed above.

If you're happy with this set of house rules, then let me know, in email, or here. If not, then feel free to suggest alternatives.​

Panzerpelle

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
JAMiAM said:
Sounds great, Pelle! Thanks. If you'd like to hash out any house rules, I'd like to start with what I proposed in my Axis game against Bdr. Mallette and found here on this post.

Here is my proposed set of house rules.

1) Briefing to be amended as follows:

House Rules (Player enforced), 1st paragraph, 3rd sentence to be changed from:

Play as if an exclusion zone covers non-participating countries until they join either side, although you may ship units through (not to) the ports of a friendly neutral (except for Istanbul).

to:

Play as if an exclusion zone covers non-participating countries until they join either side, although French and Commonwealth units may be sea transported through each others ports. No other neutral ports may be entered, or passed through.

2) No restrictions on entrenching.

3) 20 hex range for airdrops. Air transport that is strictly between two airbases that began the player turn in friendly control is not restricted in range.

4) Naval units which shore bombard, either directly, or indirectly, must remain in the hex from which they shore bombarded throughout the end of their player turn. They must wait until their following player turn to move from the hex which they attacked from. A naval unit may attack/support from only one hex per player turn. These restrictions also apply to naval units used to make airbase attacks.

5) Axis Naval Assault Limit of 1500 tons exists for all target hexes west of the (37,xxx) hex column. This restriction lifted if Gibraltar is controlled by the Axis, or if Spain enters the war on the side of the Axis.

6) Axis Naval Assault Limit of 1500 tons exists for all Mediterranean Sea target hexes east of the (87,xxx) hex column. This restriction lifted if the Axis control Alexandria or any hex of the Suez Canal.

7) No Axis Naval Assaults may be launched in the Indian Ocean, or Red Sea, until Alexandria and ALL hexes of the Suez Canal are Axis-controlled.

8) All Naval Assaults (sea invasions) must be made into anchorage hexes. No disembarking of sea transported units into non-anchorage hexes.

9) Soviet units may not stack with Commonwealth, or US, units. If forced to stack by enemy action, then at the next opportunity they should be unstacked.

10) Minor Allies geographical restrictions, as per the briefing.

11) A hex containing Allied guerrillas in Yugoslavia, or Greece, may not be attacked on the turn that they appear. If the Allied player wishes, they may disband the unit, on their turn. However, regardless of newly arriving reconstituted, or reinforcing units, any such hex that has Allied guerrillas a second turn in a row may be attacked.

Note: This is to allow the Allied player the option to avoid the "reconstituting partisan trap". On the turn that reinforcements arrive, they always arrive supplied. If the Allied player disbands the units on the turn that they arrive, he will get back all of the equipment. If he waits until the following turn, the units will be unsupplied, and they will permanently lose any equipment lost from combat, stragglers, etc. Partisan and Guerrilla icon types will not "bleed off" equipment over time if marked unsupplied, like regular units do, but all other effects of being out of supply still apply to them.

12) There will be no restrictions on types of attacks, bridge-blowing, and other methods of combat, other than those listed above.

If you're happy with this set of house rules, then let me know, in email, or here. If not, then feel free to suggest alternatives.​
I fell like some of my students after the task has been dilivered. Any objections or questions :cheeky: I´ll accept the house rules....just have to print them and learn thme by heart.

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Panzerpelle said:
I fell like some of my students after the task has been dilivered. Any objections or questions :cheeky: I´ll accept the house rules....just have to print them and learn thme by heart.
Great! Send me the first turn, whenever you are ready.

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Panzerpelle said:
I assume we are playing the standard version and not the eastern crusade?
German tourists report a distinct lack of construction along the French-Belgian border, during the 1930's. In fact, the only thing that is of note in the region is that the land seems very suitable for road rallies and tractor races... ;)

In other words...yes!

Karri

Reaction score
Country
llMalta
Raver said:
i.e. probably 75% of the time the axis can expect to beat Russia in a 1 on 1 fight in1941, regardless of whether they've taken north africa or the pre-war builds.
I'm in a rather funny situation, it's the winter of 1942-43 now and the war has been raging for a few years. I started by playing normal, conquering countries a bit ahead of time, then I brought Spain into the war and a little later invaded Turkey. As a result of this Stalin declared war to me in 1941...and what happened?

Well, after I advanced to the Riga-Kiev-Crimea line in 1941 the frontline in Russia has changed by maybe 1 or 2 hexes. I have an infantry corps in each hex, almost all full strenght, and 1 panzer corps every 5-10 hexes in the rear, with occasional infantry corps also in reserve.

The Atlantic wall is well guarded with some infantry corps and 2-3 panzer korps.

Norway I have lost, couldn't keep it with the continued allied pressure...should have placed more garrisons there I guess.

Turkey. Now this is where almost ALL of the action has been going on. I have been throwing in secondary units, and pretty much everything I could find that's not already needed elsewhere...my enemy has twice managed to encircle and destroy significant forces(4-6 infantry corps) and has pushed the frontline back 10-20 hexes in depth. But still despite all these problems and overwhelming enemy units, I still have a continous defensive line that won't be broken down easily, and even if it is, I can still retreat to Istanbul and defend there...

I can only say that the Axis is too strong...it has too many units.

My suggestion is that you remove Coastal garrisons. This would tie down significant Axis forces.

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We need to hear of a few Barbarossa campaigns without the prewar builds, and a few with them, so we can hear what the Russians manage with all those extra, high prof. units. I'm very curious to see what the outcome of Jam's game will be.

(Too bad it takes so long to get results from a new version!)

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
"I can only say that the Axis is too strong...it has too many units."

Karri,

Although you'll be seeing a reasonable stream of Axis reinforcements, your opponent will be getting a great deal more, plus the one-off 'Overlord' bonus, and his supply level, sea and airlift will be getting higher as the game progresses.

If you play on, I'll be interested to see whether you feel the same in the winter of 1943-4. What's happening in the Middle East, by the way?