Just bought Genesis III and Magach '73.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have Genesis and all the other mods but am still waiting for Magach 73 as CH is awaiting a shipment of those counters. I spent a number of years deployed in the Middle East and the area and it's history are of great interest to me.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Oh dear. How long have you been waiting?

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not too long...just since June. Certainly not as long as I have been waiting for the Volga 3 and 4 mods!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Not too long...just since June. Certainly not as long as I have been waiting for the Volga 3 and 4 mods!
Are there T-55 counters in Genesis III? I know they have the T-54...but what about the T-55?

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There must be...I have 30 x T55A counters, and I don't yet have Magach. So some of them must have come in Genesis. But some of the more modern vehs were in Lebanon. I also have the CH Annual 5 which have a good number of veh counters.
You don't happen to have Uncommon Valor/Motoyama Airfield by any chance do you?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Yes I have Uncommon Valor and the 2nd edition.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So I received Genesis 3. No T-55 counters, but there are 6x T-54B tanks, 5x T-10 tanks and a couple of IS-IIIM. That is enough post war Russian AFV to consider creating a WP vs Nato CG set in the early 50's. The Brit and US AFV from the FW module would be their counterparts. Genesis 3 contains various post war Brit and US AFV in Israeli colours. Plus some Brit and US post war AFV in Egyptian colours. Plenty to be getting on with.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was advised today from Maureen that the Magach 73 counters sheet re-print is in and should ship out to me shortly. I will let you know if the T-55s are in there as well as Annual 5.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I was advised today from Maureen that the Magach 73 counters sheet re-print is in and should ship out to me shortly. I will let you know if the T-55s are in there as well as Annual 5.
Hi Steve, I have seen the countersheets at the DM website. There are T-55s and T-62s and even some T-54s...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi Steve,

Has your Magach 73 order been shipped yet?

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Nope. Talked to them yesterday and those counters have not arrived yet. Neither have my Volga 3 and 4, nor my Toktong Pass or Pork Chop Hill.
But they shipped my Operation Olive, Gustav Graveyard, Maxim Gorki and the fortification counters I need for Mike Red/Green.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Nope. Talked to them yesterday and those counters have not arrived yet. Neither have my Volga 3 and 4, nor my Toktong Pass or Pork Chop Hill.
But they shipped my Operation Olive, Gustav Graveyard, Maxim Gorki and the fortification counters I need for Mike Red/Green.
About 50/50 then.....sigh.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How long could it take for shipment from garage to the house? :)

Seriously, CH has always been an order and wait (z, Z, Z...) company. Even when I purchased from them I always knew that I was going to wait for quite some time before I got my package. I may even purchase Genesis II & Magach 73.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really like both Genesis and Magach. Now waiting on the latest Annual the last few GWASL modules to ship. Inshallah something for Thanksgiving perhaps.

g_young

Reaction score
So I received Genesis 3. No T-55 counters, but there are 6x T-54B tanks, 5x T-10 tanks and a couple of IS-IIIM. That is enough post war Russian AFV to consider creating a WP vs Nato CG set in the early 50's. The Brit and US AFV from the FW module would be their counterparts. Genesis 3 contains various post war Brit and US AFV in Israeli colours. Plus some Brit and US post war AFV in Egyptian colours. Plenty to be getting on with.
OK, sounds cool. The T-54b would put you in 1957 at the earliest (small batch runs in the preceding 2yrs for testing new systems etc). What are the armour stats? And is the gun stabilised in horizontal and vertical planes?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The armour is a squared 18 at the front and a squared 8 at the sides. I think the stabiliser is a possibility for the later modules. The T-54A is not much different except for the gyro. I have seen counters for the early T-54. I think they come in Magach '73.

g_young

Reaction score
The armour is a squared 18 at the front and a squared 8 at the sides. I think the stabiliser is a possibility for the later modules. The T-54A is not much different except for the gyro. I have seen counters for the early T-54. I think they come in Magach '73.
I suppose it's up to you if you want to put the frontal armour at 20, assuming that the Asl model of counting each factor as 10mm of armour is correct. (the front hull and turret on the real tank is 200mm LOS).

Looking at the Korean ASL AP #'s for the 90L, it would make the front more or less immune. I suppose having a boxed "18" would do the job too, but would kick the turret front too high.

From what I've read, T33 AP fired from an M3a1 90mm gun fails to penetrate the T-54 frontal aspect (turret and glacis) at point blank.

The M304 HVAP fired from the same gun could perforate the front turret of the T-54 at 600m, but fails at point blank vs the glacis. Results are slightly better if fired from an M36 90mm gun (turret perforated at 750m, but glacis is still immune at any range). [Yugoslav test data from the late 50's apparently ].

So, looking at the KW module AP #'s the 90L (assuming M3a1 gun firing T33) at 21 would not be powerful enough to trouble the T-54 at any range, whether the frontal armour is 20, or [18].

For 90mm APCR (I'm assuming this is meant to represent M304), at 27, it becomes a different matter. With the range mod it goes to 30 at 1 hex which is more than enough to perforate the previously immune front glacis let alone the turret.

So, I suppose the question that needs to be asked is how are the APCR/APDS #'s arrived at, because it would seem they are too high going by the numbers here. Or is the solution having a circled 26 front armour factor for the T-54 given that it's glacis is stronger due to its consistent 60° slope? 😑😂