Just another Rout Phase question

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
It is a woods hex, and has only one Location (as far as I know) - so it would see a tad odd (IMO) if that Location is not a woods Location.

But there's always a the possibility to send in a Q&A.

Last edited:

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
I am not convinced at all.
Here's the best I can do...

This rule tells us it's a woods hex/location. Road or no road, moving on the road or not moving on the road.

B13.1 Woods represent a forested area with dense undergrowth. A dark green background covered with black woods symbols such as 1C9 or 18J3 is considered a woods hex, as is 19X1 which also contains a road.

This tells us about roads and interdiction:

B3.3 The other terrain in a road hex determines any TEM of that hex. However, if a unit moves into a hex via the road rate it would be subject to Interdiction/FFMO (in the case of Infantry) instead of the TEM of the other terrain in the hex unless the LOS was traced through other non-Open Ground terrain between the firer and target points. The possible target points are increased when firing at an Infantry unit using the road movement rate in a combination/Non-Open Ground terrain hex (as per A4.132).

I read this that after this unit routs into the woods road, it might take interdiction. Player makes the roll. Once it is done moving/routing in that hex, the other terrain determines the TEM and it's done, in the woods.. Or, the player can say, 'no not done, keep headin on down the road to the next woods hex' per the rout rules allowing ongoing movement.

It seems good enough to me -- the unit routs to the woods then dives for the side of the road after it ends moving. It doesn't cost anything to do that MF-wise, just as A4.132 example doesn't force the infantry using the road to pay extra to claim the building TEM once it stops moving (or routing) :

Similarly, Infantry could use the road in 5I10 to enter the building in I9 at a cost of one MF but if it did, it would be subject to the FFMO DRM (and no building TEM) for fire from any adjacent hex (except I8, whose LOS cannot reach either the hex center dot or any point on the road depiction of the I9-I10 hexside without first encountering the building obstacle).

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Here's the best I can do...

This rule tells us it's a woods hex/location. Road or no road, moving on the road or not moving on the road.

B13.1 Woods represent a forested area with dense undergrowth. A dark green background covered with black woods symbols such as 1C9 or 18J3 is considered a woods hex, as is 19X1 which also contains a road.

This tells us about roads and interdiction:

B3.3 The other terrain in a road hex determines any TEM of that hex. However, if a unit moves into a hex via the road rate it would be subject to Interdiction/FFMO (in the case of Infantry) instead of the TEM of the other terrain in the hex unless the LOS was traced through other non-Open Ground terrain between the firer and target points. The possible target points are increased when firing at an Infantry unit using the road movement rate in a combination/Non-Open Ground terrain hex (as per A4.132).

I read this that after this unit routs into the woods road, it might take interdiction. Player makes the roll. Once it is done moving/routing in that hex, the other terrain determines the TEM and it's done, in the woods.. Or, the player can say, 'no not done, keep headin on down the road to the next woods hex' per the rout rules allowing ongoing movement.

It seems good enough to me -- the unit routs to the woods then dives for the side of the road after it ends moving. It doesn't cost anything to do that MF-wise, just as A4.132 example doesn't force the infantry using the road to pay extra to claim the building TEM once it stops moving (or routing) :

Similarly, Infantry could use the road in 5I10 to enter the building in I9 at a cost of one MF but if it did, it would be subject to the FFMO DRM (and no building TEM) for fire from any adjacent hex (except I8, whose LOS cannot reach either the hex center dot or any point on the road depiction of the I9-I10 hexside without first encountering the building obstacle).
Thanks for the effort, i understand your reasoning. However the consequence of that interpretation is that woods-road hexes become magnets for brokies, which makes no sense for me, as routing units are looking for cover, not the "safety" of a nice little road. If a unit is equidistant to two woods hex and one woods-road hex five hexes away (four OG location in between for instance), it must go towards the woods-road hex.

There is even the case where the brokie would be forced to face interdiction in the woods-road hex because it still has one MF to spend while otherwise he would not have to.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If a unit uses the woods-road for its movement, and an enemy unit able to interdict is has its LOS to the brokie without crossing a woods depiction, it would interdict the routing unit.
But if the LOS crosses the woods depiction, there would be no interdiction - quite similar to a DFF situation when it comes to apply FFMO or not.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks for the effort, i understand your reasoning. However the consequence of that interpretation is that woods-road hexes become magnets for brokies, which makes no sense for me, as routing units are looking for cover, not the "safety" of a nice little road. If a unit is equidistant to two woods hex and one woods-road hex five hexes away (four OG location in between for instance), it must go towards the woods-road hex.

There is even the case where the brokie would be forced to face interdiction in the woods-road hex because it still has one MF to spend while otherwise he would not have to.
Yes, this is a consequence of the MF aspect of the rule, whether it makes sense or not to you. It's about the rule, not my interpretation of it. What's your rationale based on rules you will cite? Maybe routing units are trying to get the hell out of dodge. Or they can low crawl, too. Maybe the player shouldn't have so much control over routing units, anyway. There are more than one ways to skin this cat, I am just trying to do it by the rules, not by my personal preference.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Maybe the speed of the road would surpass the advantage of slowly moving through heavy cover? humans that are in panic mode do not behave logically, unless you know something I don't. I totally get using the ASL rules to explain a given point, but when you talk about real-world actions, soldiers do weird things when under enemy fire...trust me.