Just a bit disappointed in the ASL Starter Kit

Leftenant

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I already have BV, P, FKaC plus a few others. But, it's been a while since I've played so I thought I would get the Starter Kit. It couldn't hurt. What I hoped to get was something like the original Squad Leader. The "step" method (that's what I am calling it) was great IMHO and very effective for learning the system. Basically though all they've done is cut and paste and scale down the rules into a smaller version.

It seems they could have used a similar approach to SL. Introduce some rules, have a scenario, then some more with another scenario etc..

Just my opinion. :p

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules in the Starter Kit are the core of the infantry game--not unlike the first six pages that let you play the Guards Counterattack in the original SL. Not sure how you would break that up into smaller "steps." Want a scenario that just features movement around the boards or LOS checks? Sounds a lot like Chapter K.

Where are you in Maryland?

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The programmed idea was discussed many moons ago, way back when "Intro" ASL (or "iASL") was in the works...but it never really was effective. Unlike Squad Leader, ASL requires you to have a minimum "base" knowledge before you can really play.

I think the ASLSK rules are incredible because they really manage to synthesize and distill most of the MOST important concepts into 12 pages. Amazing.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Isn't the article which discussed the Programmed Instruction approach for ASL available for download from the MMP site?

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
AdrianE said:
Isn't the article which discussed the Programmed Instruction approach for ASL available for download from the MMP site?
Yes. The 8 Steps to ASL article is available at their site. It originally appeared in the 90 Annual.

- Rick

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ASLSK rules are extremely simple. I can teach it to someone A-Z in 30 minutes, 20 if they once played SL. Thirty minutes and they are right in the swing of things, playing a scenario. I've done this many times. That's not so bad.

byouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why don't I hear from you Maryland guys when we're looking for playtesters!?!?

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
byouse said:
Hey I played one of the partisan scenarios for J6 over the summer! Couldn't make the most recent one, but I'm sure I'll be back.

On a related note, there are lots of ASLers in Northern Virginia and up by Baltimore, but is anyone in or near Silver Spring? I'd love to find a regular opponent that lived within 10-15 minutes.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
purdyrc said:
Yes. The 8 Steps to ASL article is available at their site. It originally appeared in the 90 Annual.

- Rick
I just picked up a copy of the ASLRB 1st ed and going off that article LINK I've begun to add the rules that he specifies for each lesson into a Windows Help File. I noted that Lesson 1 is almost exactly the same rules covered in the SK, save for 2 additional rules that the SK didn't include. Just FYI.

Leftenant

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alright, I'm a bit dense...

No they wouldn't need to do a scenario on LOS. Very very funny. But the original SL allowed you to play The Guards Counterattack or something after a few short pages. Just was looking for something a bit more instructive or something.

Guess they couldn't do that here. I probably would appreciate it a bit more if I hadn't spent 800 hours last summer learning the rules.

:confused:

byouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Leftenant said:
No they wouldn't need to do a scenario on LOS. Very very funny. But the original SL allowed you to play The Guards Counterattack or something after a few short pages. Just was looking for something a bit more instructive or something.

Guess they couldn't do that here. I probably would appreciate it a bit more if I hadn't spent 800 hours last summer learning the rules.

:confused:
All you had to do was call, we can't be -that- far away. Learing ASL from someone is so much easier than any other method...

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
byouse said:
I was slated to visit the Youse House but my Mother-in-law took ill that morning. It would not have been wise to tell my wife I needed to duck out to do a little J6 playtesting. I will be there any other time you need me though. I'm in Fairfax in VA so I'm not too far away.

- Rick

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I won't play the starter kit, but it brought one new member into our regular ASL group. He bought the kit, but we just started teaching him out of the 2nd edition rulebook.

Unfortunately, he has a knack for the game. :nuts:

Mike

ATStatham

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Starter Kit was a motivator for me

Years ago, I bought a bunch of ASL stuff. Read the rules a couple of times. Decided it was to complex for me given my time constants. Mentally decided I like old SL better.

This year, I bought the Starter Kit, read the rules, joined a local club, played one SK scenario. Re-read the ASL Ch A & B rules. Realized I remembered alot of the rules -- IT CLICKED. I got the general concept at the heart of the game. The SK had focused my understanding enough that I could start to see when the EXC were really the exceptions.

Gave SK to my 13 year old son who is working thru the rules. Looking forward to playing him. Another generation exposed to what began with SL.

I just signed up for the WarfareHQ mini tourney.

Years ago, I spent $200 on ASL stuff I never used.
This year, I spent $20 on SK and now I can't get enough of ASL.

Priceless......

Alan

Last edited:

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Folks, we are now running four Mini-Tournaments, one of which is for the Starter Kit. So head over to the Tournaments thread and jump in if you're interested.