Junior Seau found dead at California home

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is too bad. He was a beast in his prime. Read an article on it yesterday and the piece that caught my eye was off of the San Diego Superbowl team, there were like 6 players who are now dead. Just one of those stats that's completely meaningless, but nonetheless, catches your eye as odd given how young most of those guys were when they died.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sad news indeed. I heard the number of dead from that S.D. superbowl team was 8. Not that it matters. Mark Schlereth on ESPNs NFL Live was saying one day that the average life expectancy for NFL players was 20 years less than that for the rest of the U.S. male population. I don't know how correct that is but it was surprising to me.
Wathced Junior all through his career at USC, and was just sad to hear the news when it broke.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sad news indeed. I heard the number of dead from that S.D. superbowl team was 8. Not that it matters. Mark Schlereth on ESPNs NFL Live was saying one day that the average life expectancy for NFL players was 20 years less than that for the rest of the U.S. male population. I don't know how correct that is but it was surprising to me.
Wathced Junior all through his career at USC, and was just sad to hear the news when it broke.
The story I hear is that most pro football players suffer traumatic brain damage from the sheer number of concussions they take. Helmets prevent skull fractures, but don't prevent your brain from sloshing around in your skull every time you take a hit. result - mental illness, instability, early death and it seems suicide. It's being reported that Seau shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain for autopsy; he suspected the damage had destroyed his life.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, he did shoot himself in the chest, as did another ex NFL player last month(Dave Duerson?) along with the request for his brain to be studied. Juniors family is requwsting that his brain be studied. Interesting that you should bring up helmets. There has been a debate for at least 4 years now that the NFL is not using the most effective helmet possible. For years there has been a helmet available to the NFL that is reported to reduce both the severity and frequency of concusion/brain trauma. Why this isn't gettiing more press with all that has happened in the last 16 months or so is anyones guess. There are High Schools and Colleges that are using this helmet with pretty dramatic results.
Then you've got to bring up the NFL flat out denying the results of a Brain trama/Concusion report that they themselves commissioned. The report/study was done by one of the countrys leading neurologists specializing in the study of head trama, sorry, can't recall his name. But the NFL came out and in a statement bascically said the report was not scientific and that the conclusions reached in the report could not be verified.This is where the NFL gets the sh*t sued out of it.You have gopt to be smarter than that.It was about that time the the lawsuits started to be filed in massive numbers, from what I here over 1500. Some of the suits have been combined, about 600. It was also about that time that Goodell started with his emphasis on "Player Safety" campaign. Most likely to cover there "its all about the money" arses.
I found it interesting that several prominent sports analysts said that in 10 to 20 years the NFL will not be recognised when compaired to todays game. The unfortunate thing is that there are kids lining up to play that will sacrifice their futures for the money offered.