July 1944

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Just a couple of thumbnails to illustrate that the scenario can still be challenging even if the Axis don't take Moscow in Autumn 1941.

This one's got to July 1944 and still has plenty of play in it. The Axis failed to knock out the USSR in 1941 and has been on the strategic defensive ever since. It still holds Germany itself, most of France, the Low Countries, Finland, Italy, Norway and Denmark, the three Balkan satellites, and the Soviet Union from Leningrad down to the Ithmus of Perekop (at the mouth of the Crimea).

The Western Allies have cleared North Africa, and - having declared war themselves - have conquered Spain and broken into south-western France with largely US forces. The southern end of the Pyrenees are still held by a motley collection of Vichy and Italian troops, backed up by some German mountain corps. An early 'Overlord' failed in 1943, with heavy Commonwealth losses, and the French coast is reasonably well garrisoned.

The Commonwealth is now concentrating on the other end of the Mediterranean and, having liberated Athens, is slowly grinding its way north through the mountains. The Yugoslav guerillas are annoying but under control, and the Warsaw rebellion has just been put down.

On the Eastern Front the lines have been static for a long time. Things are still quiet in the north and centre, with the German front on the outskirts of Leningrad. The real action is in the south, from Kiev - still Axis - down to the Black Sea coast. Very powerful Soviet forces are across the Dneiper in strength, but are being held by German armoured and mechanised units, particularly the Waffen SS, and what's left of the Rumanians.

As the Axis player, I have to believe that the Western Allies don't have the forces for another major landing, only subsidiary operations against the flanks of the defenders, and that it's a long way from the Spanish and Rumanian borders to Berlin. I'm still finding this a very interesting game, although any chance of 'winning' in the normal sense is long gone. Juggling my scarce resources, wondering where to send newly raised reinforcements, and trying to keep open the railway lines in the face of a ferocious Allied bombing campaign make every turn a nightmare, let alone the combat along the front lines.

For what it's worth the VPs still call it an Axis marginal victory, but I'll be glad if I can better the historical result by May 1945.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just a couple of thumbnails to illustrate that the scenario can still be challenging even if the Axis don't take Moscow in Autumn 1941.

This one's got to July 1944 and still has plenty of play in it. The Axis failed to knock out the USSR in 1941 and has been on the strategic defensive ever since. It still holds Germany itself, most of France, the Low Countries, Finland, Italy, Norway and Denmark, the three Balkan satellites, and the Soviet Union from Leningrad down to the Ithmus of Perekop (at the mouth of the Crimea).

The Western Allies have cleared North Africa, and - having declared war themselves - have conquered Spain and broken into south-western France with largely US forces. The southern end of the Pyrenees are still held by a motley collection of Vichy and Italian troops, backed up by some German mountain corps. An early 'Overlord' failed in 1943, with heavy Commonwealth losses, and the French coast is reasonably well garrisoned.

The Commonwealth is now concentrating on the other end of the Mediterranean and, having liberated Athens, is slowly grinding its way north through the mountains. The Yugoslav guerillas are annoying but under control, and the Warsaw rebellion has just been put down.

On the Eastern Front the lines have been static for a long time. Things are still quiet in the north and centre, with the German front on the outskirts of Leningrad. The real action is in the south, from Kiev - still Axis - down to the Black Sea coast. Very powerful Soviet forces are across the Dneiper in strength, but are being held by German armoured and mechanised units, particularly the Waffen SS, and what's left of the Rumanians.

As the Axis player, I have to believe that the Western Allies don't have the forces for another major landing, only subsidiary operations against the flanks of the defenders, and that it's a long way from the Spanish and Rumanian borders to Berlin. I'm still finding this a very interesting game, although any chance of 'winning' in the normal sense is long gone. Juggling my scarce resources, wondering where to send newly raised reinforcements, and trying to keep open the railway lines in the face of a ferocious Allied bombing campaign make every turn a nightmare, let alone the combat along the front lines.

For what it's worth the VPs still call it an Axis marginal victory, but I'll be glad if I can better the historical result by May 1945.
Is this the one against Raver?
That front line in the east has some similarities to our front line in SUmmer '41, eh? :D

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Well I must say this has turned out to be a really interesting game, and has challenged a lot of my preconceptions about EA. Every other game I've played has involved a 100% do-or-die german assault against the soviets. Players almost always deplete the west to have a real crack at knocking out the soviets, and the result is usually that if russia doesnt fall, the axis are in serious trouble almost immediately the tide turns.

What Mark appeared to do here was to deliberately hold back from a reckless assault in the east. And while the result remains to be seen, it has to this point stood him in good stead. Certainly my early overlord came to complete grief against the strongest western defences that I have ever laid eyes on. And the result of that was that it took me until 1944 to work up the courage to try something again.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is an excellent outcome thus far, Mark! *That* is the balance that we've been hoping to see in EA. It doesn't have to be over by spring '42, with Russia dead, or the Axis depleted to nothingness. It would be good to see a few more games go like this - it makes be feel like the results we typically see (as above - game over in '42) is only a result of Axis players employing an all-or-nothing approach (guilty :laugh: ), and not an indication of the scenario's balance.

Well done! Hold on, Mark, hold on!

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
She was blitzing, and Mark was low on 'supply'...

:laugh:

His readiness seemed to be lower than 33% somehow! ;) (Did it really drop only 10% after each impulse?)

Hahahahaha, I better stop here... :D

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Never could be bothered to handle the micromanagement, just put all my efforts into one big, unsuccessful push (and the wargaming wasn't much different).

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Never could be bothered to handle the micromanagement, just put all my efforts into one big, unsuccessful push (and the wargaming wasn't much different).
Attempt at reapproaching TOAW (TOAW#3) after time off and putting computer on 1 disadvantage point setting (to eliminate default comp cheat?), refusing micromanagement; still no joy kick. Enemy will only budge by repeated attacks as with the supply drain as intention, any side chosen, it is the foremost dominating game parameter still, in my view, and destructive. TOAW for me doesn't even work as solitaire simulation without - weighted - hot-seated micromanagement despite so many great well thought-out and designed scenarios.

Been trying out EA for the first time solitaire, i.e. macromanagement, I am amazed by the scope! Trying to recreate a passive Germany in the face of agressive Britain and France. (now how do I get the poles and germans to cooperate).

Last edited:

leehunt27

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my game with Serge (our first, thanks to all who developed this!) we are in a very well balanced situation as of mid 1942. The Axis (Serge) marched through Turkey and took Egypt & Syria and most of North Africa, inciting Stalin to intervene. Canadian troops holding Morocco.
And so a massive stalemate between the Russians and Germans exists all the way from Narvik down to the Tigris-Euphrates. Spain entered the war on the Axis side and so the Med and Gibralter is closed to the Allies. American landings at Trondheim & Bergen were briefly successful but the troops had to pull out as supplies did not pick up in time. Only significant Allied success is in Finland, where the combined threat of American troops and the human wave assaults by the Red Army threaten Helsinki. So the Axis's successful expansions are balanced by the completely intact Red Army (there never was a Barbarossa assault). What will happen? I have no idea, so far the Allies can't really budge the Axis and vice versa....

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In my game with Serge (our first, thanks to all who developed this!) we are in a very well balanced situation as of mid 1942. The Axis (Serge) marched through Turkey and took Egypt & Syria and most of North Africa, inciting Stalin to intervene. Canadian troops holding Morocco.
And so a massive stalemate between the Russians and Germans exists all the way from Narvik down to the Tigris-Euphrates. Spain entered the war on the Axis side and so the Med and Gibralter is closed to the Allies. American landings at Trondheim & Bergen were briefly successful but the troops had to pull out as supplies did not pick up in time. Only significant Allied success is in Finland, where the combined threat of American troops and the human wave assaults by the Red Army threaten Helsinki. So the Axis's successful expansions are balanced by the completely intact Red Army (there never was a Barbarossa assault). What will happen? I have no idea, so far the Allies can't really budge the Axis and vice versa....
Very interesting!
Given time I am sure the Allies will be able ot succeed!
How close to Baku/Grozny did the Axis get?