.jpg map to VASL Map?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a .jpg of a proposed HASL map that i need to do work with in VASL. Is there a way to convert the .jpg to be a VASL Board. I checked the "Ye Old Booke of VASL Map Making Secrets" and didn't see anything on how to do this or if it can even be done. Can you tell me how to do this?

Thanks.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Uses a graphics program to convert to a gif then proceed? I can do that for you if need be. The conversion tgat is.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks, I was able to convert it to .gif in IrfanView. Not sure what to do next.
Name the .gif bdWhateverNameYouWant.gif. You need to make a file called BoardMetadata.xml. I don't know if there is a template or not. I grab one out of an existing map. Remove the stuff that doesn't apply and change the stuff that does, but leave the xml structure the same. There are comments in existing maps, so you should be able to figure out most of what you need to put in. I think you also have to include a file named "data". As I understand it this is no longer used but vasl might be confused if it isn't found. I add it just in case, again changing the values to match the map. Take all three files (the .gif, BoardMetadata.xml and data) and add them to a .zip archive named bdWhateverNameYouWant.zip, then get rid of the .zip extension.

JR

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Name the .gif bdWhateverNameYouWant.gif. You need to make a file called BoardMetadata.xml. I don't know if there is a template or not. I grab one out of an existing map. Remove the stuff that doesn't apply and change the stuff that does, but leave the xml structure the same. There are comments in existing maps, so you should be able to figure out most of what you need to put in. I think you also have to include a file named "data". As I understand it this is no longer used but vasl might be confused if it isn't found. I add it just in case, again changing the values to match the map. Take all three files (the .gif, BoardMetadata.xml and data) and add them to a .zip archive named bdWhateverNameYouWant.zip, then get rid of the .zip extension.

JR
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A more detailed explanation of how to create a vasl board is available here.
That is a good and very complete explanation. Although it says that there are four additional files (beyond the .gif and the two I listed), “colors”, “colorSSR”, “overlaySSR”, and “SSRControls”, those are not necessary, as far as I can tell, if you are creating a bare-bones vasl map to use, for example, for proof-of-concept or playtesting.

JR

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is a good and very complete explanation. Although it says that there are four additional files (beyond the .gif and the two I listed), “colors”, “colorSSR”, “overlaySSR”, and “SSRControls”, those are not necessary, as far as I can tell, if you are creating a bare-bones vasl map to use, for example, for proof-of-concept or playtesting.

JR
As you say, it is meant to be a complete explanation for creating vasl boards that could then be shared widely and support all of the vasl functionality such as los checking. Not all boards need to be of this calibre especially in the development stage.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Okay has anyone here switched the Brickworks map to a VASL map.......and would be willing to share a copy.............I am not a computer guru.

Thank you

Shane