JPEG file 'too large'

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi, I am trying to write an AAR in the ASL forum section, and when I attempt to upload a photo, an error message comes up stating that the file is too large.

They are only ordinary digital photos, is there anything I can do to allow the images to be uploaded for my AAR?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How large are they? I use a free program, Gimp, to resize photos and exported VASL images (edit: I use the last stable version of Gimp, 2.8.18; there is a newer version, but I don't want bleeding edge, I want stability). I don't know the size limit on this forum, but I compress the images to under 100k for any forum I use as a matter of courtesy to those that do not have broad band access to the net, and for the owners of the forums, as they are charged (usually) by the bandwidth they use. If I can do so without too much loss of detail, I even try to keep it under 50k.

Also some forums limit the dimensions of the picture. I try to keep the width of images to below 1,000 pixels. This usually keeps images within a reasonable size, but sometimes it's better to have a bigger picture for detail. In Gimp, re-scaling an image is found under the Image menu. I then export the image as a jpeg file, as I think that that is the most common form of picture compression file type (although I may be wrong as I don't keep up with these things as much as many others here), which allows me to choose how compressed I want the file.

I am not a very technical person, but this is the way I post pictures on forums that don't force the members to use hosting sites for their pictures.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Brain,
Many thanks for your reply, I will try and resize the photos, and test them first.
Hayman.