JP/Legion Pegasus Bridge AAR Set-up

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished reading both of your AARs. They're good; it's especially interesting to see both players do one separately about the same scenario.

The German set-up WAS possibly "fishy", but there's not necessarily enough info in the AARs to make a definite decision. (Reepicheep and I have just finished some PB play, so the NightII set-up is fresh in my mind.) The set-up areas are considered separate: we found an errata or 'Perry Sez'(I forget which)[Reepicheep, do you remember?]stating, for example, that SSR I-2(p.Q8)only refers to the bridge garrison--ie. >1MMC may initially stack together in Benouville or Le Port.

That said, it's not clear how the cloaks from Le Port could get to Benouville. I don't believe the set-up areas are connected for set-up(it doesn't say in the AAR)and 'shifting' isn't mentioned either. Any survivors from NightI could have ended up in the Benouville set-up area--and it sounds like a couple did--but if, say, two MMCs did then the Germans would have two cloaks for Benouville and 12 for Le Port(or however many squad equivalents are in Le Port.)

The word "may" adds unnecessary confusion to CG4b. I would say that some of the Le Port garrison could set up concealed and some cloaked, say 12 cloak counters and up to 12 concealed stacks as well. If there were 12 1/2" concealment counters, however, ALL of the cloaks would HAVE to be 'dummies'; with 6 1/2" concealment markers, at least half of the cloaks would be dummies, etc.

For what it's worth, I would say that if some of those Benouville cloaks are from the Le Port set-up area and no one shifted, then the set-up was in error. It's too late to go back, it didn't make 'all the difference in the world' and there's a long way to go--so I hope that neither of you feels too badly about it. Then again, maybe you think I'm wrong :)
Did I miss something? Any other comments?

Regards,
Alan

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Bugger, just lost my reply! :cry:
Starting again...

I shall try to get JP's opinion here as i am sure he will be more than willing to agree with your criticism. And in after-thought and away from the emotion of the game i have to say that my not-so-orthadox interpretation of the rules is certainly suss... but i am just not sure there is a rule that prevents it. And to tell the truth, as i mentioned in the AAR, if units escape into Benouville (Night I AAR) it is only the omni-potent British player's reading of the relevant rule that still prevents him from guarding his back against all but the escaped units.

I did not shift the cloaking counters, they were the cloaking counters that come from the Benouville garrison. Hence they would be useless in a normal game as they would be sitting on units that have already been exposed and are No Move. Yet as the word 'may' states that units do not have to be cloaked i interpreted this to say that the counters were available but did not have to be placed on the units, it was only the presence of the MMC and leader that escaped the landing carnage that made the movements of these counters relevent.

While i think this is historically fair, certainly the Ox and Bucks had no idea that Benouville would not be spewing units at them, especially after they saw the conscripts and their leader running in that direction with their tails between their legs (see Night I AAR, posted soon i hope). I agree that the legal reason for this is tenuous to say the least. It is testament to my playing partners tolerance, good-will and arrogance of certain victory anyway that let him agree to this i am sure.
Thank you for your comments
Legion

J P

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J P's thoughts

While i am still not 100% on the cloaking counters from benouville, had i been able to stop any of his mmc from escaping then the CC's would have not been an issue as they couldn't control strategic locations etc. Besides, i will use the same tactic when i am the germans!!! :devil:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The spirit in which you both replied is duly noted and will, I am sure, make your future games enjoyable!

I fully agree that the Brits had no idea where the counter-attack would come from; the rules seem to be uncharacteristically vague about this one issue, too. I was mostly relating what Reepicheep and I did with that situation.

Alan