Journal 8?????????????????

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am a little confused. Blood and Jungle has about 6 threads going, one now on 49 pages. Two are look what I got threads all of their own. Whilst hardly any muttering over Journal 8 at all. What gives? I would have thought we would have seen some talk about the product. I am waiting for it to arrive in blighty so I can snap it up.

Cheers
Ian

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Beats me! I would really lo0ve a review of J8 so I can determine if I should get it or not.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was wondering if anybody who DID NOT go to WO has their copy yet.
Nothing yet here in, "not far from Maryland"

(not that I'm done with all my Christmas toys, but...)

Jerry Simmons

ntasl.com
Reaction score
Last I read MMP were still working out if they'll be combining shipment of J8 and DB3. Perhaps AP6 is almost ready and they're waiting for that? I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer to save some shipping cost.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I am a little confused. Blood and Jungle has about 6 threads going, one now on 49 pages. Two are look what I got threads all of their own. Whilst hardly any muttering over Journal 8 at all. What gives?
Ian
I suppose it's because B&J is such an exceptional product (surpassing a year or so of exceptional products, LFT's OpCh, CH's BO, BFP's BtB2 & BFP2). It (I have yet to see mine, UK retailer order) promises to be way beyond what we would expect from a TPP.

A Journal? We have seen 7 of those already. :stirthepot:

We have become jaded and spoilt and it takes something exceptional or very unusual to get us excited.

I will still order my 2 x J8 and am looking forward to it, just not with the same hunger that I had in the years when a good ASL item was rare.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I suppose it's because B&J is such an exceptional product (surpassing a year or so of exceptional products, LFT's OpCh, CH's BO, BFP's BtB2 & BFP2). It (I have yet to see mine, UK retailer order) promises to be way beyond what we would expect from a TPP.

A Journal? We have seen 7 of those already. :stirthepot:

We have become jaded and spoilt and it takes something exceptional or very unusual to get us excited.

I will still order my 2 x J8 and am looking forward to it, just not with the same hunger that I had in the years when a good ASL item was rare.

I too awaite B&J with all the excitment it deserves but I still want a brand new Journal as soon as I can (without pre-ordering as the tax colection is a killer). I just would have thought we would have had a bit of "Played x from the new journal and it......"

But you are right, this last two years has been heavy on the good stuff. Maybe we nee to bring back a few retro threads to remind us what lucky boys we are.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We're installing a new billing system which will allow all those who pre-ordered both J8 and DB3 to be billed/shipped together. This will save everyone a few bucks and speed up shipping since the ladies will be able to group items together.

dachda

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We're installing a new billing system which will allow all those who pre-ordered both J8 and DB3 to be billed/shipped together. This will save everyone a few bucks and speed up shipping since the ladies will be able to group items together.
Fantastic! Any word then on when the combined orders will start shipping? It looks like last Tuesday my credit card was hit for J8 but not for DB3, so should I stop eagerly checking my mailbox for J8, 'cause it will now ship with my DB3?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Debriefing: oh boy, errata! HIP units can now claim Wall Advantage.

A view from the bench: Blah, blah, blah, blah ;-)

Crosstown Traffic: Carl Nogueira takes you so far into OVR (ten pages worth) that if you didn't know better, you might think the rest of the game is an appendix to OVR. Lots of meat.

The Agony of Defeat: Mark Pitcavage explores the tactics of ASL, and why a typical newbie can be easily beaten by a more experienced player. It probably won't help first-timers, but players with a few games under their belts should be able to recognize problems they have had in their games. Because ASL scenarios can be so different, the advice can't be too specific (such as suggesting that a player shouldn't stack unnecessarily). It will give learning players tactical points to look for. Probably the best attempt at exploring the tactics of ASL I've read.

A Preview of Hakkaa Päälle!: Lars Thuring & Tuomo Lukkari present a two-page ad. Strictly speaking, it is not necessary as the product will have "ASL" printed on it.

Maczek Fire: J.R. Tracy and Bret Hildebran set up the defense.

Scenarios: sixteen. Some are from other publications (e.g. Friendly Fire's "Elephants Unleashed"), two are deluxe, and three are VotG.

Turning the Tide: Jim Stahler provides historical and tactical notes on the "Turning the Tide" pack scenarios

Normandy 1944: Ian Daglish writes designer notes on AP4.

A Place for your STUFF: David Olie explores the rules of setting up.

Tips for Making the Transition from ASL Starter Kit to ASL: John Slotwinski gives a few tips on how to spend more time reading a rulebook.

Priests on the Line: Matt Shostak breaks down this ASL Journal scenario. He evaluates strengths, weaknesses, and shows a potential setup and first turn attack.

JR

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I look forward to hearing if there's a particularly awesome (and I mean awesome, not the usual "replayable, good") scenario inside J8, because the content lists I've thus far are pretty snooze-central. No special maps, no mini-HASL, no SASL campaign, no underrepresented theaters, bleh. The latest LFT magazine is more interesting, with its Anzio SASL campaign inside.

Compared to DB3, B&J, and the TPP products released in the last 6 months, people should only be looking at J8 if they have too much $$ to throw around, IMHO. BTW - The J8 errata in sticky format can be found for free online.

Last edited:

Barryrk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Latest LFT w/SASL anzio???? That was #11. LFT#12 is all PTO (great timing with B&J). Hoping to see Desert in the future from all producers. JMO B.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Latest LFT w/SASL anzio???? That was #11. LFT#12 is all PTO (great timing with B&J). Hoping to see Desert in the future from all producers. JMO B.

You mean to say Portal doesn't know what he is talking about?!?! Shocking! :laugh:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I look forward to hearing if there's a particularly awesome (and I mean awesome, not the usual "replayable, good") scenario inside J8, because the content lists I've thus far are pretty snooze-central. No special maps, no mini-HASL, no SASL campaign, no underrepresented theaters, bleh. The latest LFT magazine is more interesting, with its Anzio SASL campaign inside.

Compared to DB3, B&J, and the TPP products released in the last 6 months, people shoulld only be looking at J8 if they have too much $$ to throw around, IMHO. BTW - The J8 errata in sticky format can be found for free online.
If you don't have DB, you should get DB3.

I have all three of the latest 3 magazines. First, if you are not interested in PTO (although I am not in that number, there are some of you), then you are definitely buying J8 rather than B&J or LFT12. If VotG is all you dream about, then again you are picking up J8 for the three scenarios. If you play PTO but not exclusively, I'd say that comparing price per pound of content, these three are very close. The Journal does not include any maps, but the prices reflect this. If your interests match Portal's, then J8 may not be your first choice. But for me, it wouldn't be my last choice.

JR

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Are The three VotG scenarios reprints from DftB? IE Sturmgashultz Forward, Soldiers of the 62nd Army and one more I cant remember off the top of my head.

Scott

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've been only focusing on B&J for PTO stuff that I didn't realize LFT 12 had come out. Thanks for the polite corrections. :p

Can't say I need more VotG stuff. The map isn't that great to play on, although the campaigns are good fun.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are the guys at WO not allowed to rave about MMP products purchased at the Con?
Makes you wonder, dunnit? I came in Monday expecting to see reviews of DB3, not to mention J8, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... Really really odd. Typical East Coast "The World Ends At The Delaware Water Gap" attitude?

HEY WO DUDES. HOW ABOUT A FEW WORDS ON THEM THAR PRODUCTS, HEY?

russum frussum...