Journal 2 with copied map and counters

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a Journal#2 for sale on ebay (#5955090135)and this is the description: "I bought this copy from someone off ebay and the map is a copy of the original. It looks exactly the same as my personal copy. The counters were not included with the magazine. I took my personal counters and scanned them onto some adhesive paper so you can cut them out and mount them yourself".

It has a 'buy it now' price of $150.00.

What do loyal ASLers feel about this?

GVL

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Not legal.
Not honest.
I should never buy this.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
MMP should contact E-bay.

Apparently only the holder of the copywrite can register a copyrite violation with E-bay.

I also would not buy it.

$150 for a color COPY?!

Peace

Roger

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
kdalton said:
We were advised of the situation yesterday, and are working on it.
Good! As you know, I would like a copy, but I would never get it this way!

Zoetrope

Reaction score
First name
Adrian
Country
llAustralia
I'd really like to get my hands on a copy of Journal 2, but the price (ignoring this ridiculous auction) is always excessive!

I just want to read the publication and get a hold of the scenarios. Is there any chance the scenarios could be made available for download? Perhaps even a copy of the articles online?

Heck, I'd even pay for a PDF download! :)

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Keith,

as an E-bay Cruiser, do you want me to e-mail you when things like this are on E-bay or do you get there often enough?

Just trying to help.

Peace

Roger

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Zoetrope said:
I'd really like to get my hands on a copy of Journal 2, but the price (ignoring this ridiculous auction) is always excessive!
Every so often a copy will go up on eBay with a Buy It Now price well below current market value (for whatever reason, most likely the seller just doesn't know what it's worth). Of course these copies are sold very fast, sometimes within minutes of listing. My suggestion is that you do an eBay search for "ASL journal 2" or some similar string, click the tab to display only the Buy It Now auctions, bookmark the resulting page (even if it's currently empty), add it to your hotlist or browser toolbar, and then make a habit of checking it several times a day, whenever you have a spare moment. No guarantees, but sooner or later you just might get lucky.

Zoetrope

Reaction score
First name
Adrian
Country
llAustralia
Thanks for the advice.

Even so, I'd happily pay $10 for a PDF version (or even full-price for a reprint) - money which would go straight into MMP's pockets... :)

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
you would think that any game company would jump at the chance to sell PDFs of old stuff. Cheap to make, good profit margin, etc.

But then again, that may be a lot of work, how do you make certain people do not just copy the PDFs and share, etc.

Peace

Roger

jserrano

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Several companies producing RPG books (including Wizards of the Coast, owners of the brand D&D and Magic and subsidiary of Hasbro) are now selling their books in the so called protected pdf format.

These ebooks can be printed of course but the pdf file won't work in a different computer unless it belongs to the same user. (A single user can activate up to six different computers and his "protected" pdf files will open on them all, but if he sends a protected pdf file to someone else, the pdf will just lock up. Acrobat Reader 6 is needed to open these pdfs)

Some companies only sell OOP stuff but others sell their new books first as pdfs, then they get feedback from the buyers, make an update and finally sell the printed version. Great way to eliminate errata from a printed product.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com

Watermarked eBooks

You may print your eBooks, and copy as many selections to the clipboard as you wish.

DRM Protected eBooks

By default, we package our books with rights that allow you to print unlimited copies, copy 10 selections of text (or 10 pages if a selection spans multiple pages) to the clipboard every 10 days. You can have your eBooks on up to 6 computers at once, so long as each of those computers is activated with your DRM account.

Note that you can only have 6 computers activated at any one time; however, the following is from Adobe Support: "If you have reformatted your hard drive or you have a new computer, you can call Customer Service at 800-272-3623 to get your activation reset. Press 1 for sales." We have used this number to reset activations with no difficulty.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
cujo8-1 said:
There is a Journal#2 for sale on ebay (#5955090135)and this is the description: "I bought this copy from someone off ebay and the map is a copy of the original. It looks exactly the same as my personal copy. The counters were not included with the magazine. I took my personal counters and scanned them onto some adhesive paper so you can cut them out and mount them yourself".

This is illegal..... :devil:

Get a rope, let's hang him from the highest lamp post.....:mad:

Naw, he's from Oklahoma..... Let's just shoot him instaed......:surprise:

Hangin's to good fer him.....:nuts:

Charley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
cujo8-1 said:

What is it that makes J2 command this price? Is the KR stuff that good or is it just a collector's thing?

CH

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"What is it that makes J2 command this price? Is the KR stuff that good or is it just a collector's thing?"

I'd say a little bit of both. KR is a solid product, the journal itself is pretty good and then add in the "collector" factor.

Peace

Rog

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
ASL Journal copy

Hello everybody. I am the guy selling the ASL Journal #2. The magazine is not a copy! I bought this from someone on ebay for the regular going price and when I received it there were no counters with the magazine but there was a map (6 of them in fact). I bought another copy (for about the same price) that had the original map & counters. I am just trying to get my money back by selling the magazine. I made a copy of the counters so the new owner will at least have them if he wants to do the work (and it will probably be quite a bit of work). If you read my description you will see I am not trying to hide anything from the potential buyer. I even revised it a bit after reading this to clarify for anyone just in case.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
hi!

So there were 6 color copies of the map with the Journal but no original map and/or counters (in the first one you bought)?

I understand you trying to get your money back, but, in the end, selling copies of copywrited material is against the law (and an illegal E-bay auction).

If you are selling a copy of J2 (whatever the reason), and are including color copies of the map and/or counters (instead of the originals), that violates copywrite laws and the holder of that copywrite (MMP) can complain to E-bay.

I do not think anyone here said you were dishonest in your description, on the contrary, that is why it stuck out (because of your accurate description).

I can sympathize with you trying to re-coup losses (its sounds like you got taken with your first purchase), but what you are doing does not seem to be allowed.

I am sure you know many people sell copies just to rip people off and the ASL crowd, for the most part, views selling copies in a negative light.

Peace

Roger

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roger is right. You cannot sell a photocopy of the map or counters. It is against the law.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I do feel for you, Psycho1943.

Firstly... did you try to get your money back from the original seller? He obviously deceived you in your purchase, so I'd have gone there first to get a refund. Plus, if you'd bought via a credit card funded payment you could (still could, but depending on when you bought) sought a chargeback from your bank.

Secondly... have you left him negative feedback so that we can avoid the same seller, who it would appear was attempting to deliberately deceive you (and others).

jasperdog3329

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think ebay itself comes down pretty hard on slimeball vendors like this, you might want to try that route as well.