Journal 11 Update

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Volk, FYI:

We got J11 from the printers last week, but were not happy with some production issues that cropped up; so we've asked them to re-print both the magazine (to solve some poor cutting) and the scenarios (some of which had ink smearing issues). We gave a single copy away to each Winter Offender so they'd have something to play, but the printer will be re-printing everything. Once we're happy we'll be able to start shipping pre-orders.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Volk, FYI:

We got J11 from the printers last week, but were not happy with some production issues that cropped up; so we've asked them to re-print both the magazine (to solve some poor cutting) and the scenarios (some of which had ink smearing issues). We gave a single copy away to each Winter Offender so they'd have something to play, but the printer will be re-printing everything. Once we're happy we'll be able to start shipping pre-orders.
Yanks? i know too soon to ask about Korea.

Scott Hasson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chas,

Thank you for the update and, more importantly, maintaining the high standard and quality control. That is one of the many things that sets MMP above so many other companies out there (not just for ASL either).

Scott.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Edit: Upon reflection too harsh on the printers

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Edit: Upon reflection too harsh on the printers
I don't think so. Otherwise, imagine the ****-storm that MMP would have likely faced not even being responsible for that.

There is a saying in German that would roughly translate to this: "Do it right from the start even if it needs a bit more time. Otherwise you will have to do it over and lose yet more."

von Marwitz

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think so. Otherwise, imagine the ****-storm that MMP would have likely faced not even being responsible for that.

There is a saying in German that would roughly translate to this: "Do it right from the start even if it needs a bit more time. Otherwise you will have to do it over and lose yet more."

von Marwitz
I think that saying is commonly translated to English as "Slow now, fast later", although maybe that's another saying.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
More haste, less speed :)

Great to hear J11 is so advanced.

Last edited:

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amen, quality is worth the wait.

Chas,

Thank you for the update and, more importantly, maintaining the high standard and quality control. That is one of the many things that sets MMP above so many other companies out there (not just for ASL either).

Scott.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz
Our saying for that is measure twice, cut once.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Never mind the quality, feel the width.

Too many broths spoil the cook.

More waste, less haste.

Slow and steady wins the race, but nice guys finish last.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Our saying for that is measure twice, cut once.
I think this one hits the nail on the head concisely with regard to what I wanted to express.

My thanks to all those who have provided collocations. I am always fond of those and wordplay.

von Marwitz

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Good quality, highly appreciated. Is it on glossy paper?
From previous posts it is on basically matte paper that has a slight sheen. So I would not expect anything like the last journal.

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From previous posts it is on basically matte paper that has a slight sheen. So I would not expect anything like the last journal.
I received my copy at WO and can confirm this. Personally, I liked the choice made for J10 a lot, especially since the colors were terrific, but this seems like a good compromise. The cover is much heavier, about the same thickness as 32-weight cardstock from Kinko's. The whole magazine feels like a brochure. It is certainly less glossy, less so even than recent Schwerpunkt covers. With the scenarios inside, it is about as heavy as an issue of GMT's C3i, less the latter's countersheets. But don't freak out by this comparison, it is much less glossy than an issue of C3i. One thing that struck me while reading the articles is that the editor seems to have a made a conscious nod to those of us who have recently acquired reading glasses. A good portion of the counter graphics are blown up to > 5/8" proportions.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lots of conscious choices in image and text size. The magazine is now in 2-column 10pt font (J10 was 3-column 9 pt) and I did indeed intentionally enlarge as many images as I could. The paper type also makes the text pop a little more.

In short, I figured we could all use some eyeball ergonomics.

Peter Quant

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Lots of conscious choices in image and text size. The magazine is now in 2-column 10pt font (J10 was 3-column 9 pt) and I did indeed intentionally enlarge as many images as I could. The paper type also makes the text pop a little more.

In short, I figured we could all use some eyeball ergonomics.
Perhaps ASL is entering its terminal phase: phase one was the AH days, when players were young. Phase two was the final days of AH and the early years of MMP, when said players were "busy". Now we have entered the terminal phase, when players acquire reading glasses before they join the Great Rules-master for an infinite loop of Red Barricades III games. Personally, I am about to acquire a son-unit, upon which I may impress the duties of counter-shifting when such duties have become too onerous for myself.

dr dull

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes eyesight definitely gets worse, i gatherad some friends to play (age 40-50) and we all sat squinting trying to read the small text, vehicle counters frpm avalon hill days are especially bad, need magnifying glass, maybe deluxe boards with corresponding counter size is the next normal? :)