Jon's COD rant

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jon@lbc said:
Yup there is a latch on the side that normally holds the follower down while the clip is inserted. When the follower reaches the top of the clip (i.e. no ammo) it springs the empty clip, well you can do this with just a full clip in there.

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx There is a video right on that page about field stripping a Garand. I had to find when I was cleaning mine because I couldn't get the bloody stock off, turns out its GI'ed you need to give it a good smack on the ground and it detaches (the fact that none of the metal that contacted the wood had been greased or oiled has something to do with it). Anyways, as he field strips it he shows how some of the parts work. Now that I see the rifle, it works on a really simple, visible system. And the trigger mechanism is essentially like a pistol hammer.

Viking67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marines said:
:D

Want a game that challenges the mind, as opposed to your twitchy finger?

Pick up a copy of Brothers in Arms.
Well, somedays my mind doesn't like being challenged, especially after math tests, but it's still a great game.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was discussing linearality or whatever you want to call it with my gaming friends. I can understand what Doc. S wants but his main buff was how linear the game was. It turns out when you look at it all FPS have to be linear even Far Cry and Half-Life 2. Now Far Cry gives you a lot of freedom, but its still linear and there are reasons for it we decided. First is that it would take a ton of money to image an entire map full of scripts and then put it into an engine that your computer can handle with all that stuff going on and allowing it to happen it would eat up PC resources for the average player and would cost a ton of money considering the time that goes into it. Now this isn't a defense for CoD its moreover for the entire genre. Now Squad A.I. happens. Not too many games have the NPC AI that everyone wants. Its unachievable and I believe the best shot right now is Brothers in Arms. </rant>

halloween jack

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
1.) Gun sway was over the top except on the sniper rifle which was basically point and click.

2.) Didnt really feel like you were accomplishing anything at the end of the mission. It also didnt feel like you were part of a bigger conflict. It was just you and a few mates taking on a few germans every now and then. Would have been nice to see a lot more allied soldiers even if they weren't actually involved in your mission.

Or perhaps a mission debriefing that put the action into its historical context during gameplay.

3.) The AI was still poor: German soldiers would be facing you when you were flanking them as if they somehow knew you were coming. The AI also didnt react to you, instead it mostly tried to just hide. Armoured AI was even worse, i mean how many times are you going to let that infantry man pop out from behind a corner and shooting you with a panzerfaust??

4.) Still no destroyable terrain.

5.) As far as i could see, walls were unscalable.

6.) I was often getting shot through cover, yet was unable to do the same to the enemy.

7.) No prone !!!!

8.) Grenades were awful

9.) The best bit of the game - The acting between missions.....its the ONLY reason i wanted to complete the game.

Viking67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My main complaints are that

1) It is very hard with the Garand (I haven't had much experience with other rifles) to hit anything further than 100 feet away, even though the effective range is listed in the manuel as something like 1,300 feet, and

2) Machine guns are practically invincible. It took two Sherman tanks, working together, a full 5 minutes to kill a single MG42 gunner from a range of about 50 feet. Also, you can't suppress machine guns. Yes, their indicator turns grey, but they still keep shooting at the same rate.

But for someone who's used to CoD, it's nice to be able to tell your teammates to make themselves useful.