John Wayne

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have become of recent a huge John Wayne fan. I know the gentleman was before my time. But after watching quite a few of his movies, I have come to realize that he stands for an America that once was and that we should strive to be again. So I am asking this of y'all, what is your favorite John Wayne movie? I have about 30 or so on DVD and am trying to find all of them. I just want to know your opnion of the man and your favorite movie

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm.... toss up between Horse Soldiers and Sand of Iwo Jima... probably Horse Soldiers. I never much watched his Westerns, only his war movies.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
I have become of recent a huge John Wayne fan. I know the gentleman was before my time. But after watching quite a few of his movies, I have come to realize that he stands for an America that once was and that we should strive to be again. So I am asking this of y'all, what is your favorite John Wayne movie? I have about 30 or so on DVD and am trying to find all of them. I just want to know your opnion of the man and your favorite movie
Horse Soldiers
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Fort Apache
Rio Grande
El Dorado
Rio Lobo
The Longest Day
Donovan's Reef

If pressed for ONE movie: Horse Soldiers

Scout Out

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Wayne movies :bowdown:
Difficult to pick just one, so i picked my top 10.

These four top my list for war movies with the DUKE.
Flying Tigers
Green Berets
Sand of Iwo Jima
Fighting Seabees

These two are great westerns among many to choose from.
Hondo
Searchers

John Wayne is Rooster Cogburn IMHO!
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn

These two i just like alot, even though there not western or war movies.
Hatari
McQ

:horse: :horse: :horse:

michammer

Reaction score
Country
ll
My favorite would have to be The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
Excellent movie! I also liked him in True Grit, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and the Sands of Iwo Jima. The 2 Rio's and El Dorado were also good.

Also, The Searchers.

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stagecoach (1939) without a doubt. He looks almost like a teenager, but still adopts the 'tough guy' persona he became so well known for. I offer one prviso against John Wayne (in fact, his real name was Marian Morrison), and that is thus - in every one of his westerns, Native Americans are universally portrayed in a wholly negative light, generally as ravening, barbaric, bloodthirsty savages. Such stereotypical views would today be nearly universally decried, and both Wayne, the director, producer and studio faced with a strong and determined campaign to change these negative portrayal.

P.S. 'The Shootist' is a close second. This was, I believe, his last film before he died of cancer.

Otherwise I have enjoyed every one of his films I've seen.

Leatherneck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have seen some movies of John Wayne in WWII and here the lists i have watch:

Flying Tigers
Reunion in France
The Fighting Seabees
Back to Bataan
They were Expendable
Sand of Iwo Jima
Operation Pacific
Flying Leatherneck (Best one I ever see)
The Sea Chase
Blood Alley
The Wings of Eagles
The Longest Day
In Harm's Way

Army

viking370

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like Green Berets but the best movie I saw with him in it was Cowboys. It showed that he could play a bad guy. it's also a more truer..sp.. depiction of cowboy ranchers in the 1880's and 1890's.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Horse soldier

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just bought the movie but have not been able to see it yet. Suprised no one has mentioned the alamo. It hold a special place. In since that I am a Texan.

Gepard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Favorites

I would have to say the original Stagecoach was a great movie. I think Horse Soldier might be my favorite.

Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo, and El Dorado are all movies I can sit and watch at a moments notice.

The Rooster Cogburn series may be some of his best work.

He did a great turn in the Longest Day.

The War Wagon is a very different kind of movie for him.

I also liked the Kentuctian (sp?). Look for Oliver Hardy in that film.

Reaction score
Re: Re: John Wayne

Originally posted by hogdriver
Stagecoach (1939) without a doubt. He looks almost like a teenager, but still adopts the 'tough guy' persona he became so well known for. I offer one prviso against John Wayne (in fact, his real name was Marian Morrison), and that is thus - in every one of his westerns, Native Americans are universally portrayed in a wholly negative light, generally as ravening, barbaric, bloodthirsty savages. Such stereotypical views would today be nearly universally decried, and both Wayne, the director, producer and studio faced with a strong and determined campaign to change these negative portrayal.

P.S. 'The Shootist' is a close second. This was, I believe, his last film before he died of cancer.

Otherwise I have enjoyed every one of his films I've seen.
That's not completely true. In "Big Jake" the Sam Sharpnose character is Jake's old friend..........but of course Sam was played by a Caucasian, Bruce Cabot.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So many great choices. So little room! My favorites are when he's teamed up with Ben Johnson.

For me it would have to be one of the following: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Searchers, and The Horse Soldiers. But don't forget Chisum and Fort Apache and The Alamo and...:rolleyes:

Brad Ritter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I haven't seen all his movies, I'm sure I've seen most of em and one of my favorites is The Cowboys.