John Wayne

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can remember watching alot of John Wayne movies as a kid.
God bless him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiF3Ri1FysI
I will always like him as my favorite actor, then Jimmy Stewart and Bruce Willis.....

There are many other actors that might have more awards and recognition, but these three play very good characters in the movies they made......

kent9002

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I will always like him as my favorite actor, then Jimmy Stewart and Bruce Willis.....

There are many other actors that might have more awards and recognition, but these three play very good characters in the movies they made......
I guess I would have to aggree with your post. Thanks for the input.

Ruarigh

Born-again Viking
Reaction score
Country
llPeru
I used to like John Wayne's films a lot when I was younger, but I respect and like Jimmy Stewart more now.
[video=youtube;-uv_WGEHr4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uv_WGEHr4I[/video]

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used to like John Wayne's films a lot when I was younger, but I respect and like Jimmy Stewart more now.
"you don't like to watch your buddies screw? I know I do."

Repo Man, a very good movie with a great soundtrack.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Whenever someone mentions John Wayne, I always think of Repo Man too. It's all part of the underlying lattice of coincidence.
I lost any respect I had for John Wayne when I found out how hard he pushed other people to go to war but never quite got around to signing up himself. There was always some excuse. Jimmy Stewart was worth 100 John Waynes, as an actor and a human being.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still a fan of the Duke's after all these years. He's more nuanced than people think - give a close reading to Red River and the Searchers and see how dark he coudl play, when given the chance. Ford got teh best out of him, but I like some of Hawk's and Hughes movies as well.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For a one dimensional actor he was great at playing the same guy every film. At least he was consistent, everybody knows where John Wayne stands. Wayne never cried, lied, cheated or stole. He was always brave, violent, slightly buzzed but never drunk and self assured; qualities of the prototype American alpha male. I had this cardboard cut out of Wayne I used to put in my window. I just burned it 3 days ago. He no longer represents any 'ideal' to me. Hey, I don't mean to rain on anybodies John Wayne Parade, I appreciate his good qualities.

Stewart could kick his a$$ any day, lol,
Bob

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For a one dimensional actor he was great at playing the same guy every film. At least he was consistent, everybody knows where John Wayne stands. Wayne never cried, lied, cheated or stole. He was always brave, violent, slightly buzzed but never drunk and self assured; qualities of the prototype American alpha male. I had this cardboard cut out of Wayne I used to put in my window. I just burned it 3 days ago. He no longer represents any 'ideal' to me. Hey, I don't mean to rain on anybodies John Wayne Parade, I appreciate his good qualities.

Bob
You apparently never saw the The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance then, Pilgrim.

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Liked him most in The Longest Day - can hear him now "alright move out" - in that memorable John Wayne voice of his. Immediately as soon as you hear that voice you imagine his face. One of the most famous voices in the world and certainly the most famous in Hollywood. Must have the record for the most movies ever made. What a work horse. Worked hard and often even when he was dying. Never hear that about todays stars.

Last edited:

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder why Hitchcock never made a film with him :)

I think his best performance was in True Grit...in which he played a crotchety, old SOB...pretty much what he played his entire career, but it made more sense in that one.

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I lost any respect I had for John Wayne when I found out how hard he pushed other people to go to war but never quite got around to signing up himself. There was always some excuse. Jimmy Stewart was worth 100 John Waynes said:
I have to agree with this. Loved his movies as a kid, then found out about all the other Hollywood types who actually put it on the line while he managed to stay out of it.Too bad, another childhood illusion down the drain.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
John Wayne is the best! My favorite movie of his is The Searchers.

There are too many good moments when he acts like the way a man should act in a lot of his movies.

"Somebody oughtta belt ya, but I won't do it. The hell I won't!"

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to agree with this. Loved his movies as a kid, then found out about all the other Hollywood types who actually put it on the line while he managed to stay out of it.Too bad, another childhood illusion down the drain.
The Left loves to make up crap about prominent conservatives. Even a little digging soon uncovers than Wayne did volunteer for duty, and more than once....and not just with John Ford's movie unit.

You're making a mistake judging Wayne by what some leftist hack wrote with malicious intent in a book that has not been fact checked at all but used to tarnish Wayne's character without possibility of personal rebuttal.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whenever someone mentions John Wayne, I always think of Repo Man too. It's all part of the underlying lattice of coincidence.
I lost any respect I had for John Wayne when I found out how hard he pushed other people to go to war but never quite got around to signing up himself. There was always some excuse. Jimmy Stewart was worth 100 John Waynes, as an actor and a human being.
You found out from where?

Some leftist "author" with an axe to grind and a conservative target unable to defend himself.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He is great in Red River as well, though i agree with paramarine that teh Saerchers is his best work. In btoh movies he plays dark, ambivalent characters, removed from the Wayne icon he usually is.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is a mast see as well. And the cavalry trilogy - Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande...man: I will always love the Duke.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Wayne was at his very best in his last film, "The Shootist".

Yeah, it helped Ron Howard to learn how directing a film and what it really took to see a "true professional" at his finest.

John Wayne will never do anything wrong in my book.

And for those that think he was a coward and not go to war..... His college days in football disqualified him from being drafted or volunteered. Even though he could ride a horse better than most men, he was too old and physically unable to endure the hardships of the life of a combat soldier.

Jimmy Stewart is second in my list of GREAT actors.

Bruce Willis is 3rd.

Fort those "Left leaning" writers that slurred the facts to write their fiction, they can all go crawl back into their holes and expire.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
All that horseshit about John Wayne being boo'ed or being a coward is a bunch of horseshit, propagated by chickenshits. You can google "John Wayne boo'ed" and a bunch of stories come up from different times and places that tell the same story, except they have no actual boo'er to quote who was at war himself.

You know, I've been to war a few times, and if in fifty years people are calling Leonardo Dicaprio a coward or something, I'll call them a damn idiot. He's a great actor and sometimes we need actors.

kent9002

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Benzidoid
Re: John Wayne

Bob

The good qualities is are examples to follow.
We should follow the good examples and reject the bad.

Last edited: