JoeBob vs. Bruce

JoeBob

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stalingrad falls to Shermans and Stuarts!

Yes, Stalingrad fell to me on the last combat round of the turn with a brigade of Lend-Lease Shermans and Stuarts occupying the city (but no time to dig in). Confusion of both sides must be abounding...

Not likely to keep the hex, but maybe this will convince Bruce to start withdrawing from the Kessel. I also moved adjacent to Gumrak this turn, which may further help with the convincing process.

Vorosh almost fell this turn as well, with the crossing of the Don successful, and I'm now adjacent from two hexes. Strangely, Vorosh is empty, the Axis units now fled. Looks like I will gain the prize!!!

His PzD on the western edge of the board is still trying to come on, but I'm gradually surrounding it.

Looking good for the Ruskies!!!

:cheeky:

Of course, 1st PzA is about to arrive I believe...

:surprise:

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JoeBob said:
His PzD on the western edge of the board is still trying to come on, but I'm gradually surrounding it.

Looking good for the Ruskies!!!

:cheeky:

Of course, 1st PzA is about to arrive I believe...

:surprise:
Bruce is fighting an "interesting" battle. I'm not sure what he hopes to gain by keeping so many units in the kessel, especially when he lets Stalingrad fall! Looks like his attacks in the SE are losing steam.

The fall of Voro is great and the fall of Tatsynskaya even better. I swear that hex is an Axis supply point although sometimes no supply symbol shows.

On the western edge with that PzD, how did that work as far as trying to block the reinforcement hexes?

JoeBob

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WestPointer,

The PzD reinforcements starting showing up in the (0,7) hex, instead of the (0,8) hex. All the other hexes had been occupied by me previously, I just didn't have the remaining movement to occupy the other hex since it was hills, and then of course his guys started showing up.

Now I'm hoping I can keep him there, or even evap the stack if I get lucky.

I'm assuming the worst, so I've started diverting some forces to try and contain him if he breaks out.

One other note: It's a little embarassing but I can't figure out how to "cut and paste" other players quotes, which is commonly done. Can I get a quick tutorial on that.

Dohhhh!!! :eek:

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
JoeBob said:
One other note: It's a little embarassing but I can't figure out how to "cut and paste" other players quotes, which is commonly done. Can I get a quick tutorial on that.

Dohhhh!!! :eek:
You mean the "quote" button at every posts?? :nuts:

JoeBob

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
laszlo.nemedi said:
You mean the "quote" button at every posts?? :nuts:

Whoahhh! Think I may have discovered it...

Thanks!

:clap: :joy: :hail:

JoeBob

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
laszlo.nemedi said:
Clever boy! :D :p

Hey Laszlo, if you have so much time your hands (busy goofing on me...), then how about getting out your Sealion tourney turn?

Huh, huh? :bounce:

I'm just a glutton for punishment! :violin:

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
JoeBob said:
Hey Laszlo, if you have so much time your hands (busy goofing on me...), then how about getting out your Sealion tourney turn?

Huh, huh? :bounce:

I'm just a glutton for punishment! :violin:
So you would like to push me to get the turn out in a hurry??? No way!

(I can do the turn on Friday, sorry :D

JoeBob

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 16 - 1st PzA starts arriving...

Just sent off T16 to Bruce.

He managed to retake Stalingrad by getting a 3 round combat turn (haven't seen more than 2 myself, since Saturn). I took it back on an AV and reinforced. He'll need at least 2 combat rounds to retake it from one hex. By the way I had another infantry div EVAP on me last turn, the one guarding Stalingrad! Remember, in the Kessel, rules change, so break down those infantry divs and use them on defense ONLY. At least that is my experience.

I now hold Vorosh with some authority.

The Kettle is still hotly contested by 57 PzK and Sixth Army. But 1st Gds Cav Corps is starting to arrive. They were diverted from the north 4 turns ago to provide reinforcement. I am also getting a steady stream of reconstituted units moving on 2 or 3 at a time. I think I can keep him from breaking thru here. And when 1st Cav is ready they are going to go for Gumrak and take out his supply point. Then we'll see how bad Bruce wants to stay in the frying pan... How do I permanently destroy the supply point if I can't permanently occupy the hex?

Huge breakthrough toward the south from Valiknikov directly toward Marinskysys, which could cut off Sixth Army and friends from Rostov, if he doesn't divert some major units to try and stop.

On the west edge, his PzD(19th)is not moving on with too many units, and I am starting to wonder if he actually has a supply point there. IF NOT....his units could be destined to simply die there. Anybody know?

I am now pushing hard for hex (0, 30) to try and wipe out the supply point there.

Question, once an enemy supply point is overrun is it wiped out permanently? Do you have to occupy it for one turn, or more?

I'm starting to feel like Bruce has either put way too much confindence in 1st PzA, make a major strategic error in judgement, or underestimated me... :hurt:

Or, I am about to get a rude awakening!!! :whist:

Anyway, very intense game, great scenario, etc.!

Oh ya, and now that 1st PzA has shown up, now long until I get 44th Army? 28th Army would love to know!!! :skull:

Panzerpelle

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
supply points

You can´t destroy supply points by capturing them. The only way they can disapear by is if the designer have programed the Evil ed to withdraw them. In Wintergewitter there are three such events: The supply point at Zimovinki and the the supply point at Gumrak(The one with a distant hex around it). And the supply point at Pitomnik it OP Thynderclap is activated (deploying and withdrawing of a supply point).

JoeBob

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When does 44th Army arrive?

Just got off T17 to Bruce. Much remains the same from T16.

More panzer troops are heading north out of Rostov to try and stem the tide of Russian Guards armies moving south. I am also getting hit by the PzD on the west edge of the board, which is now coming on in full force. :-(

The Kessel continues to be hotly contested, with Bruce continuing to try and retake Stalingrad. I held him off this turn, maybe he will finally give up...

So, 1st PzA is moving out of Rostov, but still no sign of my 44th Army. Anybody know when it will be showing up? The reinforcement schedule shows no sign of it. Must be event triggered, I guess...

I've also noticed since the beginning of the game, that the Soviet air force is ALWAYS reorganizing except for 1 or 2 units. My airbases are not being attacked, so what gives?

Otherwise, I am feeling like I'm holding the edge here. Our casualties are tied at 17 each, so I think that's pretty good for the Soviets. :devious:

The game sits at a draw, with a total of 26 victory points for the Soviets.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
what combat setting do you have them on?

I find minimize losses helps units reorganize faster and allows for more ops for air.

Are you winning the air battle at the end of each round? or turn?

JoeBob

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:clap: :coolban: :clap:

When Bruce first informed me he was resigning I was actually kinda shocked and bummed out. All those hours of playtime and hard strategic thinking, and he quit before I even got the joy of surrounding and destroying him! :argh:

Actually I think he saw the big picture in "real-time" and saw how it was going to play out. I kept thinking he had reserves I couldn't see, or major reinforcements on the way, but apparently not. And with me scouting toward Rostov out of the WEST, and most of his supply hexes overrun, I guess I should have realized I had him.

It was a good fight! Bruce forced me to improve both my offense and defense, in order to withstand his attacks. Looks like it paid off. By not defending his left flank, and using all of 57PzK to hold on to (and even try to expand out of) the Kessel, I think he sealed his strategic doom.

Score one for the Ruskies!!! :joy:

My .SAV file below is the final Soviet move.

Game ON, boyz!