JFK Reloaded

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
Overseer said:
Hey now, no messing with GTA:SA. That game is great. :p And actually in terms of the actual story and such, the main character (CJ) of GTA is actually a pretty good guy (sure, he kills a lot but the majority of people he's motivated to kill in the story are extremely crooked cops, drug dealers, "gangstas," etc.)
The "majority" you say? Who are the others he kills?
Overseer said:
In fact, the whole game he refuses to touch any drugs all of the times they're offered to him and if CJ says no, I can say no! :D :laugh:
That is funny. :laugh:
Overseer said:
I don't have a problem with extreme violence or nasty subjects in a game. I don't complain about it in books or movies, why would I complain about it in games? However, my problem with this game is that it doesn't seem to have a purpose other than, "Hey look at us, we made a game where you shoot JFK and that's it! We're bad, oooohhhh! buy our game"
Yeah, you have a point about violence in movies and media. I guess I don't have a problem with extreme violence either as long as it is in an appropriate context. But this one just seems to be inappropriate.

What's next? A game where you have to hijack an airliner with a box cutter, slit the stewardess' neck, and crash the plane into the Twin Towers in just the right place to cause it to collapse? Do you get extra points for each firefighter and police officer buried in the rubble?

Again, violence I can deal with. I think it's the subject matter in this case that I have a problem with.

- Rick

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But to compare wargames with this concept has no merit. Granted, I have not played nore heard about every game out there. But, I have never heard of any game that puts the player in a position like the JFK game. Yes, we go out and kill the "bad" guys. But, they are anonymous, and only generally represent anyone. This game recreates a real event, with the emphasis on recreating the event as closely yo history as possible. Quite different than playing any of the "sniper" games on the shelves.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
purdyrc said:
The "majority" you say? Who are the others he kills?
That is funny. :laugh:
Yeah, you have a point about violence in movies and media. I guess I don't have a problem with extreme violence either as long as it is in an appropriate context. But this one just seems to be inappropriate.

What's next? A game where you have to hijack an airliner with a box cutter, slit the stewardess' neck, and crash the plane into the Twin Towers in just the right place to cause it to collapse? Do you get extra points for each firefighter and police officer buried in the rubble?

Again, violence I can deal with. I think it's the subject matter in this case that I have a problem with.

- Rick
Haha, yeah majority is about right. :D Well, honestly, the GTA games aren't terrible if limited to their story missions, it's the free form part of the game where most of the controversial violence comes from, the stuff the player has to CHOOSE to do.

And as for your "what's next" game, give it about 10 years or so...

And I agree completely, context is very important when it comes to the violence.

Oh and apparently CSpan can show nudity. They showed topless women on a video about sex and violence in video games. No censoring. :hush:

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overseer said:
Oh and apparently CSpan can show nudity. They showed topless women on a video about sex and violence in video games. No censoring. :hush:
CSPAN? Can you imagine tuning into watch the House of Reps. or Booknotes and seeing "College Girls Gone Wild" instead? Maybe I need to watch more CSPAN.

Reaction score
CSPAn or no, it is a cable channel, and therefore a lot more flexible in its content choices then regular broadcast TV.

I can see it now, "Congress Goes Wild: What really goes on behind session doors."