JFK Reloaded

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Priest said:
I agree that the idea is not only sick but stupid aa well, man, talk about limited game play.
Yeah I think that's one of the biggest parts of why this is a joke of a game. There's really not much of a game to it. It's just a get attention and a quick buck kind of thing.

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
Deltapooh said:
The developers can't be serious about the purpose being to strike down conspiracy theories. The clear motive is to make money, not end debate.

While I do believe the game is inappropriate. Then again, North Korea was offended by the upcoming Ghost Recon 2 theme. I also recall how the Black Hawk Down veteran community had a fit over Ghost Recon modders attempting to replicate that incident. (I wonder how they felt about Nova Logic's Black Hawk Down FPS game.)

Having said that, I feel this game goes too far on such a sensitive incident. Granted the incident occured over forty years. It remains a very emotional period in American history.

I know I won't be buying it.
Actually, this was originally designed to settle the "conspiracy theory" debate once and for all. The developer made an exact e-replica of the Plaza and then made appropriate scale models of the limo, Kennedy, and Connelly. Using the information from the autopsy, the developer was able to show that the so-called "Magic Bullet" theory was a joke. Not only could one bullet have caused all the damage to both Kennedy and Connelly, but the wounds match up perfectly on the computer model.

This simulation figured prominantly in the History Channel's special on the Kennedy assassination the other night.

Unfortunately, the developer decided at some point to release this simulation as a computer game. It is inappropriate as a game, but I think it was an excellent investigative tool for those interested in studying the assassination.

- Rick

Patrocles

Reaction score
purdyrc said:
Actually, this was originally designed to settle the "conspiracy theory" debate once and for all. The developer made an exact e-replica of the Plaza and then made appropriate scale models of the limo, Kennedy, and Connelly. Using the information from the autopsy, the developer was able to show that the so-called "Magic Bullet" theory was a joke. Not only could one bullet have caused all the damage to both Kennedy and Connelly, but the wounds match up perfectly on the computer model.

This simulation figured prominantly in the History Channel's special on the Kennedy assassination the other night.

Unfortunately, the developer decided at some point to release this simulation as a computer game. It is inappropriate as a game, but I think it was an excellent investigative tool for those interested in studying the assassination.

- Rick
good observation!

I think what I find disturbing is the use of a point system...try, try, try to beat the high score! :(
"Traffic Games said the objective was for a player to fire three shots at Kennedy's motorcade from assassin Lee Harvey Oswald's digitally recreated sixth-floor perch in the Texas School Book Depository.

Points are awarded or subtracted based on how accurately the shots match the official version of events as documented by the Warren Commission, which investigated Kennedy's assassination.

Shooting the image of Kennedy in the right spots in the right sequence adds to the score, while "errors" like shooting first lady Jacqueline Kennedy lead to deductions.
[my emphasis]"

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
purdyrc said:

- Rick
See, when I first read Jim's post title, I thought they were just talking about a game being used to prove to some extent what happened. What I didn't expect was to make it playable.

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
Patrocles said:
good observation!

I think what I find disturbing is the use of a point system...try, try, try to beat the high score! :(
"Traffic Games said the objective was for a player to fire three shots at Kennedy's motorcade from assassin Lee Harvey Oswald's digitally recreated sixth-floor perch in the Texas School Book Depository.

Points are awarded or subtracted based on how accurately the shots match the official version of events as documented by the Warren Commission, which investigated Kennedy's assassination.

Shooting the image of Kennedy in the right spots in the right sequence adds to the score, while "errors" like shooting first lady Jacqueline Kennedy lead to deductions. [my emphasis]"
I agree that it is a repugnent premise. The documentary I saw did not make any mention of it as a game at all. As a learning tool, I thought it was first rate (although I was wondering why a game developer would take all that time and effort to make this simulation up). I guess whatever he was paid by the History Channel wasn't enough.

- Rick

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
purdyrc said:
I agree that it is a repugnent premise. The documentary I saw did not make any mention of it as a game at all. As a learning tool, I thought it was first rate (although I was wondering why a game developer would take all that time and effort to make this simulation up). I guess whatever he was paid by the History Channel wasn't enough.

- Rick
Well, games are used constantly as simulation tools by lots of groups. Most recently, Half-Life 2 is being used to teach people how to read lips (that's how good the facial expressions in the game are).

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the current world of FPS games, is this really that bad? In a world awash with bad taste does this game really stand out?

How is it any worse than Oliver Stone's "JFK'?

Reaction score
The Doctor said:
In the current world of FPS games, is this really that bad? In a world awash with bad taste does this game really stand out?

How is it any worse than Oliver Stone's "JFK'?
Stone tends to re-write history to make it fit his premise. This "game" is intended to recreate history.

If the publishers took the modeling tool, as originally used, and added all of the dissenting forensics and opinions, and provided those options, then the "player" could use the tool to do their own investigations and make up their own minds. Then this would fall within the traditional "what if" premise needed in games that claim to be historical. But, to try to do the same as, or better than Oswald just crosses the line of decorum.

I am sure I speak for many that this transcends bad taste to poor taste or worse.

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Iron Mike,

I'm not arguing otherwise; it just seems to me the 'decorum' line was crossed a long time ago. I'm afraid the genie is already out of the bottle in this area.

Doc

purdyrc

Duke Nukem
Reaction score
The Doctor said:
Iron Mike,

I'm not arguing otherwise; it just seems to me the 'decorum' line was crossed a long time ago. I'm afraid the genie is already out of the bottle in this area.

Doc
I agree. My personal "favorite" is for Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas. The commercials for this game just strike me as bizarrely inappropriate.

(Hikes up pants, runs wrinkled hands through gray hair, pushes tri-focals up on bridge of nose) Of course, back in MY day, we used to play fun games like Pong and Asteroids and Pac-Man. We didn't kill the President or the police and we LIKED IT!

I think with this game, the boundary is being pushed out just a little bit farther than before. The idea of being awarded points for successfully shooting the President of the United States in the head is right up there with ripping your opponent's spine out and showing it to him before he dies (Mortal Kombat of course). I think these kinds of games need more than a "Mature" rating on them. They should come with a full battery of psychological tests, inkblots and all, before you're allowed to play them.

- Rick

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...the good old days. When we only killed Germans, Japanese, American Indians and mobsters with vaguely Italian names...

If there's a market for this stuff, let them produce it. Provided the games, movies, music are clearly marked that they are intended for Mature Audiences (leaves most of us out) - of course that depends on parents paying attention to what their kids are doing.

Reaction score
The Doctor said:
Iron Mike,

Doc
I agree. I just felt that this one went way over.

Raising three kids, I am all to aware of what they are exposed to. And, to manage that without being the tyrant is difficult, at best.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
purdyrc said:
I agree. My personal "favorite" is for Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas. The commercials for this game just strike me as bizarrely inappropriate.
Hey now, no messing with GTA:SA. That game is great. :p And actually in terms of the actual story and such, the main character (CJ) of GTA is actually a pretty good guy (sure, he kills a lot but the majority of people he's motivated to kill in the story are extremely crooked cops, drug dealers, "gangstas," etc.) In fact, the whole game he refuses to touch any drugs all of the times they're offered to him and if CJ says no, I can say no! :D :laugh:

I don't have a problem with extreme violence or nasty subjects in a game. I don't complain about it in books or movies, why would I complain about it in games? However, my problem with this game is that it doesn't seem to have a purpose other than, "Hey look at us, we made a game where you shoot JFK and that's it! We're bad, oooohhhh! buy our game"