Java is Missing

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
I recently upgraded VASL to 3.4.2, and I have since found that "OBA" button is not doing anything.

I then went looking for it, and so far, I am unable to find it.

Any suggestions? Help? Does anyone have a mint?

I am running VASL 3.4.2 under VASSAL 3.2.17, supposedly w/ Java /something

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Did the same: VASL v6.4.2 and VASSAL v3.2.17. But I encountered no problems.

1521490739608.png

Note: OBA Button is grey since currently no game open. But when I opened a test game it worked normally.

von Marwitz

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Yes, von Marwitz, but when I load up a game that uses OBA (BFP 26, to be specific), the OBA button goes from Grey to Black and White. This is as it should be, but when I select "OBA", no one is home.

Note: this is not a bug with 3.4.2; it is a personal issue concerning me & VASL, and I would like to get it straightened out.
Larry

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Did you add a module of OBA?

At first, if you click the button, there's really only a very mini window. After you have added modules by entering numbers for the black and white chits, then you see the cards and can click on them.

von Marwitz

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Never mind, I managed to find my problem, which has been corrected.

Larry

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You checked under the couch cushions, didn't you. Java slips between them quite easily.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You checked under the couch cushions, didn't you. Java slips between them quite easily.

JR
I have heard if you spill it onto your lap and sue the franchise company where you bought it, you get rich.

von Marwitz

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States

JR
As it turned out, I found Java under a pile of cushions, or rather, duplicate VASLs. Thx 4 the help, just the same.
I have heard if you spill it onto your lap and sue the franchise company where you bought it, you get rich.

von Marwitz
I have heard you don't get rich by doing this; no more than the other 7 people this happened to got rich. The money from the lawsuit (app. $400,000)did not do much more than cover the woman's medical bills, which were considerable. We also got treated to a lot of lies and propaganda from MacDonald's and other corporate lackeys were spewing on the TV machine. MORALE OF THE STORY: DO NOT TRUST CORPORATE MEDIA!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have heard you don't get rich by doing this; no more than the other 7 people this happened to got rich. The money from the lawsuit (app. $400,000)did not do much more than cover the woman's medical bills, which were considerable. We also got treated to a lot of lies and propaganda from MacDonald's and other corporate lackeys were spewing on the TV machine. MORALE OF THE STORY: DO NOT TRUST CORPORATE MEDIA!
I am with you on the 'Don't trust corporate media'-thing. But $400,000 just enough to cover the medical bills of a spilled cup of coffee? What the devil was she doing with that coffee?

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am with you on the 'Don't trust corporate media'-thing. But $400,000 just enough to cover the medical bills of a spilled cup of coffee? What the devil was she doing with that coffee
Spilling it. Severe burns could easily run into a lot of money for surgery to replace skin.

JR

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
I am with you on the 'Don't trust corporate media'-thing. But $400,000 just enough to cover the medical bills of a spilled cup of coffee? What the devil was she doing with that coffee?

von Marwitz
From a conversation with someone who did a college report on the media - and using this story in particular - the woman's burns were very severe ( hand, arm, and thighs ), the coffee was well over the temperature for a "hot" coffee (I've forgotten what temperature he told me) and she still hadn't recovered the complete use of her hand at the time of his report.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Buying hot coffee at a McDonalds drive through and drinking it while driving in city traffic, what could possibly go wrong?

Rich

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Buying hot coffee at a McDonalds drive through and drinking it while driving in city traffic, what could possibly go wrong?
Mrs. Liebeck was not driving. She was a Passenger. The car was also not Moving/In Motion. The coffee was delivered at a dangerously hot temperature, by the policy of McDonalds. The jury found that Mrs. Liebeck was partially responsible for the injuries (civil trials can decide partial responsibility split between multiple defendants and/or the plaintiff) but that McDonalds was also partially responsible. The claim by Mrs. Liebeck was for a relatively small amount (around $20,000) for medical bills but the jury awarded punitive damages because McDonalds was aware of (lots of) other similar incidents and continued on anyway. See https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts. So while on the surface the story sounds ridiculous, especially when given that corporate spin, to me the facts and result sound reasonable. McDonalds was aware it was serving dangerous product. Even if Mrs. Liebeck had not been in a car that spill would potentially have been very harmful. It continued its policy anyway. A jury decided to kick them in the nuts, "to get their attention."

I am sure that many people have tried frivolous or fraudulent lawsuits in order to win/extort money. This case is not the poster-child for such lawsuits.

JR

Last edited:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just hope when I am 79 years old, I can purchase a hot cup of coffee at a McDonalds drive through and not spill it on my sweatpants.

That would mean I made 79 years, which is now on the horizon.

But it also probably means my grey matter has atrophied a bit, my hands shake....

Rich