JASL thoughts...

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
Greetings,

My ASL rules and SL games are on their way, and I recently discovered JASL which is the vs a computer type interface system.

I've installed it, and since there isn't anyone nearby thats into the ASL system, I thought it might be a way for me to learn the game as I go along.

Has anyone else experienced it, and what are your thoughts about it ?

Cheers,

R.S.

da priest

Reaction score
JASL is a neat, hmm can't say beta, gamma program. There are many rules missing, and the last time I messed with it there were some problems with move and fire actions.

Fun thing, but not for a new guy. You need to know the rules to figure out whether the program is following them.

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm hesitant to download VASL because personally I detest online gaming - and to be honest - I'm betting few people want to mess around with teaching a newbie how to play the game through a proxy online interface.

Anyways, thanks for the post. 8)

Priest

Reaction score
R.S. Barker said:
Greetings,

I'm hesitant to download VASL because personally I detest online gaming - and to be honest - I'm betting few people want to mess around with teaching a newbie how to play the game through a proxy online interface.

Ron is right, I have played JASL and it is fun...if you already know how to play the game. To learn ASL I to would advise either ftf or VASL, JASL will not teach you the game.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
R.S. Barker said:
I'm hesitant to download VASL because personally I detest online gaming
If you have a laptop, VASL can be a convenient way to transport "maps and counters" with you.
And VASL can be played in bed, or in the train, etc. - of course in solo... But you can also easily play SASL Missions with it...
It is not only there for online gaming.

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the contrary, lots of grogs on vasl love nothing better than helping the hobby grow teaching the newbies. It's how I started playing ASL and I've returned the favor helping out folks....you might be pleasantly surprised by how many helping hands you'll find.
Victor

R.S. Barker said:
Greetings,

:D

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to pile on the responses ... VASL is a great place to learn and play the game. It is not traditional online gaming like RTS. Is is ASL using a different interface, the computer.

In addition, you can watch others play. While less interesting than actually playing, it is a learning tool. Most games would not appreciate an explanation of the rules or tactics to someone just watching. Playing on VASL for an hour or so once or twice a week will finish games, avoid the hassle of keeping boards set up, and allow you to play the game. Don't make a decision about VASL until you have tried it ... kind of like eating peas. :smoke:

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seems to me there are some who play ASL in Ohio :D

come on, fess up; it's for a good cause!

Alan

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Another positive for VASL:

You can download and run through some games, which may well help explain a few things. There are some on this site.
You can also pick up some email opponents. That way, you get the chance to read the rules thoroughly without time pressure to respond, plus you can ask questions as you go.

Still not as good as learning from an experienced player ftf, though.

larth

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
JASL for learning ASL

Hi,

as already said JASL is not the easiest way to learn ASL. The biggest advantages over VASL currently is that it plays with just the computer, you don't need an internet / network connection and that it automatically shows the error of your ways with a rules reference.

That being said, the best way to learn is from face to face, and next best is from VASL online FtF. If you don't want to play online you can use VASL for PBEM, you create a log of your moves and email that to the opponent. IMO this is better than online for learning the game (or just new rules) as you have time on your own to check rules and think about your moves. The 2nd distinct advantage of PBEM VASL is thet you can play several games at the same time.

cheers,
Lars

P.S. an updated version of JASL is close. The final beta is at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/jasluser