Japanese squad with captured LtMtr

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If a Japanese squad picks up a U.S. light mortar, does it pay the +2 for captured SW & +2 for unqualified use (as the Japanese aren’t qualified to use their own LtMtrs)?

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks HKWGer
So, if the SW was a U.S. MMG, a Japanese squad could fire it with a +3 on the malfunction (+2 for captured, +1 for unqualified)?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A21.11 says captured Gun/SW "has its B#/X# decreased by two due to lack of familiarity with the equipment". A21.13 Non-Qualified Use says "Non-qualified enemy MMC may use these special weapons by doubling these penalties."

That means a 4 reduction in B#/X# .. plus
Twice x A21.12 Performance --> ROF reduction . which means ROF goes down by 2 (to nothing for MMG).

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I do not believe non qualified use penalties would apply.

MMG/HMG/ATR: A Japanese ATR/MMG/HMG (including .50-cal) SW being fired by a Japanese squad/HS has its B# and Multiple ROF lowered by one (A.11 applies).

This indicates the penalty is a property of the Japanese MG. It does not say Japanese squads suffer non qualified use penalties.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

MMG/HMG/ATR: A Japanese ATR/MMG/HMG (including .50-cal) SW being fired by a Japanese squad/HS has its B# and Multiple ROF lowered by one (A.11 applies).

This indicates the penalty is a property of the Japanese MG. It does not say Japanese squads suffer non qualified use penalties.
Good point ~ so we are saying Japanese squads have issues with Japanese MGs but doesn't have issues with other people's MGs (apart from Captured Use).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However the post was about a captured U.S. Lt Mtr and there is NO requirement whatsoever that a crew Japanese or otherwise has to man such a weapon system, so only captured use penalties would apply (keep focused o_O).;)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Nice one! ?

I might have missed that in the past.

von Marwitz

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No it doesn't. The Japanese pay a penalty to use their own weapon but thst is less than the penalty they pay to use a captured weapon.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No it doesn't. The Japanese pay a penalty to use their own weapon but thst is less than the penalty they pay to use a captured weapon.
And it doesn't seem ridiculous to you that a squad of Japanese soldiers has more dificulty effectively using their own nation's mg or atr than that of every other nation? I mean I accept the rule, just sayin.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
And it doesn't seem ridiculous to you that a squad of Japanese soldiers has more dificulty effectively using their own nation's mg or atr than that of every other nation? I mean I accept the rule, just sayin.
The penalty for the Japanese squad or halfsquad to use a MG of their own nationality is B# lowered by one and ROF lowered by one. The penalty for any Japanese unit (SMC, squad, halfsquad, crew) to use a captured MG is B# lowered by two and ROF lowered by one. On what basis do you say the first is worse than the second? What does not happen is that the Japanese squad or halfsquad does not pay a double penalty for a captured MG, i.e. the two penalties are not combined to make B# lowered by three and ROF lowered by two.

JR