Japanese Scenario Recommendation

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation of a relatively recently published, Japanese scenario (PTO/non-PTO Terrain okay), that is "tournament"-sized that you really enjoyed.

Thanks!

Bill

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
"Buckley's Block" J189 out of Journal 12 is getting a lot of play, and looks like a nicely-sized scenario.
JR
"Buckley's Block" is nice. I played it at a tournament a few months ago.

A58 "Munda Mash" is one of my all time favorites. ROAR has it 58:36 pro Japanese, so it might need a little tweaking.

von Marwitz

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The scenarios in the new WO deluxe pack look interesting, All of them look like must plays ( very rare in most new stuff) with Dew of Death and Phoenix rising looking like real hoots to play. The KW scenario in the WO pack also looks very kool too.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation of a relatively recently published, Japanese scenario (PTO/non-PTO Terrain okay), that is "tournament"-sized that you really enjoyed.

Thanks!

Bill
I would recommend any of the scenarios from Dispatches from the Bunker's Bouganville series, especially DB136, The Block On the Trail To Hell. Definitely 'tourney sized', and very closely matched.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
"The Deadly Line" out of J12 also fits your criteria and is different for being Soviet against the Japanese rather than the usual American or British.

JR

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nunshigum [SP125] is a tournament staple and a really good little infantry only firefight. Playable in an evening, it is subtle for both sides and you need to maximize deception and PTO terrain as the Japanese to hold off the more numerous and really tough Gurkhas. Pretty sure this one came out around 2011 or so - thus realtively recent.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Contact Vic at DftB, they're looking for playtesters for a small scenario that seems to fit the bill (not to mention a good benni' to boot).

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played quite a few PTO scenarios in last month and enjoyed them all... but I'm a pacific slut . Mai Phu from BFP's blood and jungle - lots of tin can armour, maybe just a little on the big side. Breaking Bad from Friendly Fire pack 10 - needs some Dutch APCs from B&J. Die Ghurkha Die from Schwerpunkt 8 I think. Pro British according to ROAR but I didn't think so playing it and it was my fave of the ones I played. Buckleys block is good too.

dpabrams77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have Operation Watchtower, HS5 Restoration, HS15 Hill 27. ASL J166 Maximum Aggression and ASL 147 A stiff Fight. All great 2-3 hours plays.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Self-serving, I know, but can I recommend my scenario, Final Crisis at Blackpool, CH 97.
It's 25-25 on ROAR with a 7.08 rating. A lot of players like it and it's been on
a number of tournament lists. Most games come down to the final phases of the final turn.
There is official errata. I will send you the correct scenario card.
Joe Leoce

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I would recommend any of the scenarios from Dispatches from the Bunker's Bouganville series, especially DB136, The Block On the Trail To Hell. Definitely 'tourney sized', and very closely matched.
Played it, agree it's fairly balanced, but the Japanese are stuck being a bit static, so they can't get up to a lot of their usual shenanigans. I really enjoyed it because it was my first chance to play Carl N, but the scenario itself was not a standout, IMO.

BFP3 Melee Near the Coast
J116 Brigade Hill

.. but really .. Hugh Downing's Gurkha series ..
Errata: BFP30 Melee Near the Coast