Japanese on Defense?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Once you've deployed those half-squads, what do you do with them? You don't want them manning crucial weapons, like knee mortars, because they can easily be taken out of the action. And if they break, they are not holding your defensive line anymore--as opposed to a squad, which is guaranteed to stick around for a while (unless, like me, you roll 12s a lot) and maintain your line.

There are reasons to deploy Japanese squads, just like there are reasons to deploy other nationalities' squads, but the Japanese player gives up a lot by deploying, so there shouldn't be a rush to deploy as much as possible.

I don't think people should try to transform their Japanese forces into something that they can play the way they can play other nationalities. I think they need to understand how Japanese can be played as they are. The key to Japanese defensive tactics is managing attrition. Attrition will occur. That shouldn't bother anybody. It doesn't matter if you win the game with only a half-squad left, as long as you win the game. The key is that attrition occurs at a rate you are happy with, and that it occurs in service of your objectives. Sometimes there are reasons for Japanese to stand and fight until they disintegrate. Sometimes there are reasons to constantly withdraw and minimize attrition as much as possible. Sometimes there are reasons to sacrifice a lone unit. It all depends on the situation. Typically you are either in a situation where you want to delay or a situation where you need to protect something at all costs. In the latter, you just have to manage your disintegration such that it is slow enough that you will win out the scenario. In the former, you have to trade space AND bodies for time, which is what you really need.

On the defense, the depletion of firepower by striping is often not much of an issue, because the shots you'll be taking will tend to be short range shots with no or negative modifiers, often at pointblank range. That's if you're firing at all, and not trying to keep your concealment, etc. Even a 2(-1) shot isn't bad and will make your opponent think. The depletion of firepower is only a major problem, really, in two situations: 1 ) those relatively rare scenarios where there are a lot of stone buildings (such that the enemy can get adjacent to you in one), or 2) in close combat. And as for the latter, you will have to hope that the Japanese's other advantages will pull their asses out of the fire.

In fact, in line with that last point, striping rarely at all concerns me as the Japanese defender. What really scares me is ELRing. When you ELR as the Japanese, you REALLY degrade, especially from 1st line to 2nd line and from 2nd line to conscript. Since, obviously, ELRing occurs at the same time as striping, the consequences are doubly nasty. So I don't mind failing a morale check, I just don't want to fail it too bad.

Daniels

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jazz said:
HIP a HS on top of the PB to ambush the guys trying to CC the PB.

I think with this fact in mind the first thing to do to a reveled PD is try to put some WP on it if you got it?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Daniels said:
Jazz said:
HIP a HS on top of the PB to ambush the guys trying to CC the PB.

I think with this fact in mind the first thing to do to a reveled PD is try to put some WP on it if you got it?
Given adequate resources that can give you WP, and enough time, sure, that would be a good idea. There are a number of ways this, like any tactic in ASL ,can be countered. Indeed, prodigeous use of WP vs potentially HIP Japanese is always a good plan. Of course, using WP means somebody is either not moving (Prep Fire) or taking up MP (Infantry WP).

It is the nature of ASL scenarios to limit resources and/or time for one side or the other to make it a worthwhile scenario. Anything I can do to make you use up resources and/or time is all to the better, even if I may not get the opportunity to execute an incredibly satisfying ambush/HTH CC kill.... :D

ASLgord

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Japanese as defenders

This has been a great thread!! Picked up so good pointers.

I must say that I would rather play as a Japanese defender than anything else, it's probably my favourite theatre.

Gord

"Japanese don't die, they just dwindle away!"

Daniels

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wp

I got it. PBs usually have something big and scary in them with a good field of fire. I try to smoke them quickly as a rule (blind them kill them, move on), but with a HIP unit in the same HEX you could get a twofer…

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Daniels said:
I got it. PBs usually have something big and scary in them with a good field of fire. I try to smoke them quickly as a rule (blind them kill them, move on), but with a HIP unit in the same HEX you could get a twofer…
Then, you can mix it up....HIP a HS *behind* the PB (possible/probable avenue of approach?) and ambush'em as they try to enter the PB hex for CC (prefered and most reliable method of killin'em). If the Japanese has done a good job of placing the PB, it will be difficult and time consuming to get to (I just love swamps screening the fronts of my PB....).

The secret in being the Japanese (or any nationality in ASL actually, but particularly with the Japanese) is to not be predictable. You can make an opposing player whig out trying to counter *every* possible thing you might do. Do I HIP a HS on top of every PB? No, but I have done it at least once and may decide, depending on the scenario and who I'm playing, to do it again. If I did it to this opponent in the past, I'll try think of something else.

It's a game of trade-offs and options. Every tactic/move has a counter move/option, which then opens other moves/options etc.... ;)

Oberst Balck

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
On the Japanese

I have recently re read the jap rules and was provided some excellent articles .

The main thing to win scenario's as the Japanese is the make the opponent RUN OUT OF TIME [ to achieve the VC].

With this in mind you can do all sorts of sick and evil things since all you are after is the most bang for your buck - you are not out to SAVE the Japanese force. In essence the only good defence is a good offence.

1) One of the best ideas is to infiltrate the enemy somehow. This can be a big swing that takes 3-4 turns to get there ( behind his lines) , sooner or later these " a@@holes" are going to be very disturbing.

KIA for failure to rout should be a priority idea. ALWAYS put HIP units in such areas, or create the defence so the same situation occurs.

2) Put some of your forces in high TEM areas ( buildings, trench) esp areas that have open ground to cross for the enemy. Make sure you have safe routs paths however. Cover these areas with Jap mortars and the opponent will have fits.

3) Japanese leader Commisar - like abilities are priceless. When youget back to normal ASL like troops ( one's that DM) make sure you have leaders around that area !!

The rest has been covered above ( did someone mention HtH CC). You are there for a good time not for a long time - get the best out of your troops to DELAY the enemy.

Do not get into a face off position with US forces. You are not built for that sort of grind...

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have been attrited to much, you will likely lose. This is particularly important to take into consideration because typically the U.S. is the opponent of the Japanese, and has huge firepower.

So how do you manage the attrition? First of all, the Japanese player does not want a stand-up fight. He wants situations where either he can manage a slow retreat or situations in which he can skulk like a maniac and avoid most defensive fire. Open ground is the deadliest enemy to the Japanese, because even a lucky 1 (-2) shot can cause a CR on a Japanese unit, bypassing the whole striping process. Similarly, *unsuccessful* close combat is tragic to the Japanese player, again, because it bypasses the striping process, so the Japanese player must make sure that close combat typically only occurs when the Japanese player has some sort of advantage.

You do not want a 6-6-6 squad successfully getting into close combat with you, especially a concealed one!
Another key point to remember in the attrition equation is FP range-- As the Japanese, you do not want to engage at the five- or six-hex range of the U.S/Australian player. A two-squad firefight at 5 or 6 hexes shows a difference as much as 12 FP to four, down from 12:8. Throw in couple hindrances from kunai or palm trees, and the inability of Japanese fire to gain even pin results is quite dramatic. A few good Allied prep shots can reduce the Japanese FP by half before they even get to fire.

So, your rikusentai should keep thier concealment until the enemy is closer; (Usually not a difficult choice in the Guadalcanal jungle, but important in some of the more open scenarios, such as those in BR:T. or on Okinawa)

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good point, Pete.
I think the range differential advantage is one the most overlooked tactical applications in ASL overall (guilty :upset: ), but its even more relevant with Japanese due to stiping away instead of breaking.

One of the things I'm trying to work on in my 'game'.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Currently playing Mayem in Manila as the Japs and giving my opponent a fierce time.

I just loved HIPing a HS with a DC upstairs and have the Priest pull up in the next hex. Out the window goes the DC and up in flames went the Priest! :bite:

Had a thought and did not do it but have a Set DC on aroad with a hidden THH as the unit set to detonate it. The THH can blow the DC and then maybe follow up with a charge at another enemy vehicle. Two bangs for the single buck. :joy:

Also, THH's that can be hidden can be set up to allow unconcealed Japs to fall back onto. The following enemy may then advance into the hex and get caught out with at least a -3 ambush mod versus maybe a +1 for jungle, nasty times.

:ciao:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is good stuff. I just started getting into PTO in the last few months and I enjoy it very well.

The rules for the Japanese and construct of the USMC squads show the strength of ASL in being an accurate game of WWII.

I just got one of the older Annuals (foregt which one) that has a long article onte Japanese in ASL. I'll have to read that.

capt kronz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings Kommeraden!!

One of the most devastating weapons in the Japanese small arms arsenal has to be their Knee Mortar. It can fling smoke, WP and HE at semi-long and short distances. A very potent tool on both offence and defense.

Also, if you have Elite IJA / IJN squads and those pesky Allies are adjacent to you, chuck a WP grenade and assault move back.

Capt Kronz

Oberst Balck

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ohh pleezzeee

This is good stuff. I just started getting into PTO in the last few months and I enjoy it very well.

The rules for the Japanese and construct of the USMC squads show the strength of ASL in being an accurate game of WWII.

I just got one of the older Annuals (foregt which one) that has a long article onte Japanese in ASL. I'll have to read that.

Ohh really.. Very hard to work out how/why you think that.. But I wont go into that ..... :halo: