January 2005 Dispatches/Top 10 War Movies

JD Morelock

ACG Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Spr

Lance, as usual, has made some very perceptive comments about SPR, particularly when he noted the performances of cast members like Tom Sizemore and Barry Pepper who were excellent. Even the veteran actor, Harve Presnell (as George C. Marshall) did an outstanding job in a small part. All in all the acting in SPR was top notch.

Great discussion by everybody on this thread and such thoughtful comments are always appreciated.

Anyway, I expected to get thoroughly 'beat up' for knowingly leaving SPR off the list and you haven't disappointed me!...and since my son works at the SHOAH Foundation for Steven Spielberg at Universal Studios in LA, I expect the worse is yet to come...

Thanks again for the great discussion.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JD Morelock said:
Great discussion by everybody on this thread and such thoughtful comments are always appreciated.

Anyway, I expected to get thoroughly 'beat up' for knowingly leaving SPR off the list and you haven't disappointed me!...and since my son works at the SHOAH Foundation for Steven Spielberg at Universal Studios in LA, I expect the worse is yet to come...
JD, I don't mind that SPR was left off, but leaving off ZULU!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Sacrilige! It was one of the first and best colonial wars film ever made! You should be ashamed! :cheeky:
:flag:

JD Morelock

ACG Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RichardS has brought up another excellent film. Not only did 'Zulu' introduce Michael Caine, it also featured Nigel Green's outstanding Color Sergeant character, one of the most memorable roles in any war film. I believe this was Stanley Baker's (LT Chard) first effort as a director.

OK, so I'll accept three whacks from the broad side of an Assegai and a devastatingly stern glare from the Color Sergeant for leaving it off!

Reaction score
RichardS said:
JD, I don't mind that SPR was left off, but leaving off ZULU!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Sacrilige! It was one of the first and best colonial wars film ever made! You should be ashamed! :cheeky:
:flag:
ZULU, ZULU, ZULU

Not only is "Zulu" everything Richard says it is, it is also one of only a few war movies that have been made on the actual ground the battle was fought on. "Gettysburg" is the only other one that comes to mind, but I'm sure there are at least one or two others........

Reaction score
J.D.,

You included two POW films, "The Great Escape" and "The Bridge on the River Kwai". Both are based on historical events, though neither is really true to history. Although I like them both, personally I think that "Stalag 17" is better than either of them. Did it just miss the cut on your list?

ALOHA RONNIE

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lance Williams said:
ZULU, ZULU, ZULU

Not only is "Zulu" everything Richard says it is, it is also one of only a few war movies that have been made on the actual ground the battle was fought on. "Gettysburg" is the only other one that comes to mind, but I'm sure there are at least one or two others........

NEVER FORGET

September 11, 2001 Tower 2 Airstrike, 1993 World Trade Center Bombing & 1965 Battle of IA DRANG Life Saving Hero RICK RESCORLA's favorite Movie was "ZULU"..!!!

See:

911 Remembered: RICK RESORLA was a Soldlier

http://www.Freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/978534/posts?page=22

NEVER FORGET

ALOHA RONNIE

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Doctor said:
Thanks Ronnie, for the info - and for being there back in '65. Never Forget.

NEVER FORGET

Actually, "WE WERE SOLDIERS" had a very special purpose all its very own in GOD's Plan, it seems.

MEL GIBSON became so inspired, while filming our real Vietnam War Story, that he felt he had to finally make his ultimate story of Love and Sacrifice titled:

.."The PASSION of the Christ"

See:

MEL's -PASSION- sparked by -WE WERE SOLDIERS-

http://www.TheAlamoFILM.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39081

NEVER FORGET

JD Morelock

ACG Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
POW Films

Lance has brought up a real gem of a film when he mentioned Billy Wilder's 1953 "Stalag 17", based upon a hit stage play. Star William Holden won a Best Actor Oscar and the excellent character actor, Robert Strauss ("Animal") was nominated for Best Supporting Actor. In fact, if you want to know why Holden, an American, was in "Bridge on the River Kwai" (about British/Commonwealth POWs) a few years later, it was because he had won the Oscar for his POW portrayal in "Stalag". David McLean probably also wanted an American star to boost box office in the states, I suspect. Robert Strauss also, in effect, recreated his "Animal" character in one of the Honorable Mention films, "Attack!" starring Jack Palance, Eddy Albert and Lee Marvin.

"Stalag" has drama, comedy, pathos, mistaken identity, espionage and (moderate) action--ie the ingredients of life itself. It doesn't have any 'Hollywood' love story or romance (unless you count 'Animal's' desperate efforts to break into the Russian women POWs' shower room...). Other notable performances include: veteran director, Otto Preminger, as the Nazi camp commandant; comedic actor, Sig Rumann as the "Sergeant Schultz" of the film (and the prototype for the later John Bannen character on 'Hogan's Heroes'); Harvey Lembeck as "Animal's" sidekick (Lembeck's portrayal got him a role in the long-running TV series, "Sgt. Bilko"); and a very young Peter Graves (as the fake GI/Nazi spy).

I highly recommend "Stalag 17", since it was in many ways a prototype of the WWII POW film. It was another of the huge list of Honorable Mentions that there just was not room to print.

Thanks to Lance for bringing up this excellent film.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kelly's Heroes

Not saying that its an amazing historical movie, I think it and the Two Dirty Dozens are great but not totally accurate. BUT if you watch Kelly's Heroes you'll notice that the Tigers are as real as you can get (in fact JUST like SPR). My dad said they were Shermans with a boxed-in upper chassis and turret so they looked like Tigers. BUT if you look there is a scene where the Commander rolls his tank through the building and you get a side view of the Tiger. The wheels and suspension aren't that of a M4 Sherman but that of a T-34! Which leads me to believe that in the remotest though possible chance those two "Tigers" could have been re-restored for SPR since I think Kelly's Heroes got theirs from the Czechs!

Reaction score
J.D.,

I finally got to watch "Paths of Glory" (I had taped it a while ago...thanks for the heads up), and it is a great movie. Well worth the top 10 ranking you give it ..........., but I still think "SPR" is better. :laugh:

JD Morelock

ACG Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paths of Glory

Lance, glad you finally had a chance to watch "Paths of Glory".

I will agree that the special effects in SPR and the way they are used in that film to realistically stage the combat scenes, particularly the Omaha Beach segment, are without equal. In that area, POG can't match the same level of intensity.

Thanks for all your comments, etc, on the forums.

JeremyScott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paths of Glory is more in the lines of a court room drama based around a war movie. I think its one of Kirk Douglas's best roles along with War Wagon. How can you compare the two as far as special effects goes. One was made in 55 and the other in 97. But as for drama, I think POG is the better of the two. Yes SPR has the Beach sequence but as for when you think all goes well in POG there is another twist added. Especially in the meddling of the *shudders* French generals.

Reaction score
I just saw "Master and Commander" in high definition and I think I'd have to give it at least an honorable mention.........

doomonyou

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Being a Military history rookie, I have to ask. What about the "Lost Batallion"? Is this not a good recreation of WW1? As usual you guys are increasing my DVD collection as well as my book collection!

Reaction score
doomonyou said:
Being a Military history rookie, I have to ask. What about the "Lost Batallion"? Is this not a good recreation of WW1? As usual you guys are increasing my DVD collection as well as my book collection!
The "Lost Battalion" is a good, but not great movie. However, considering it was made by a basic cable network (A&E), it should be commended for the quality of the finished product considering the relatively small budget it was made on.......

Larkin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ZULU!!!! We need Zulu on the list. That is the all time best movie about a small force holding out against all odds. A little Brit Discipline and the perseverance of the welsh will win out any day!