J98 Lend Lease Attack

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After my game with Bud in "Kempf", Mike and I set up J98 to play in the remaining time.

Lend Lease Attack is a tight little scenario, and the second one of the evening that I played designed by Ola.

The Russians are attacking down the length of boards 4 and 19 with two groups. Both are nearly identical groups: one with two 458 squads, a leader, 2 lmg, one SU-85, a truck and two lend-lease Sherms (IIIa's), the other group differing only in a exchange of a Half Squad for the LMGs. Their objective is to accumulate 28 or more VP by enemy casualties and exit off the west end of board 4. He's got 5.5 turns to get it done.

Trying to stop them is a small force of Germans, made up of 3 467 squads, a half squad, 2 leaders, LMG, PSK, and most importantly, 2 Tiger Is.

The Sherms have Gyros, the Trucks must enter with at least a squad of passengers each, +1 LV for dusk, walls are hedges and the Germs get 1 HS of HIP.

Diced for sides and I got the Russians. Mike set up concealed on his end of board 4 (had to) since I entered from off board. The Tigers were set up in a strong position between two large woods areas, able to support each other without getting flanked from one side. Infantry peppered the woods on both sides.

My groups came on very carefully, the Trucks merged on the central road, and drove halfway across the length of boards, unloading their infantry cargo adjacent to the central woods area. My left flank tank force (board 4) had more cover than their board 19 counterparts so made good time closing with the enemy. The Su-85 stayed out of LOS to the left of the Tigers, and the Shermans carefully threaded their way down the center, making sure not to give Mike any easy kills. On my right, (board 19) all my AFV moved on and stopped short, as Mike had some tricky LOS's from board 4 all the way across board 19. I acquired some hexes in anticipation of smoke shots with my Shermans, one shot generated the German sniper which made me mondo-nervous since my AFV were all CE. My tanks survived, but my newly disembarked infantry paid a price, killing a leader and taking the whole stack with him. Half of my infantry down on one sniper roll. Mike shifted some infantry in his half, one of which would prove pivotal on my left.

For reasons which I am still trying to figure out, I abandoned my attempt to get some smoke down but managed to get my tanks by on board 19, which was nice, but I was going to have to challenge the Tigers eventually with this group, because to win I had to exit on board 4. On the left, I tried to sneak the SU-85 around the corner of the woods protecting one of his Panzers, but the squad he moved over there was toting the LMG and put a 6+2 on my CE crew. I failed the check and buttoned up.....stunned. Not good. The 85L has the punch to kill a Tiger, but a match up of 2 *75 Sherms vs. one of those big guys is not a good one. I needed to protect that SU till he came back. Unfortunately, my Shermans on that side couldn't get close enough to prevent the Tiger from turning his attention that way. My SU had rcovered and got the +1 marker so Mike went CE and challenged him with a Gun Duel, getting the first shot, but missed. After turning, the SU missed his shot also. And Mike backed the Tiger up one hex to avoid my Prep. On the right, in his half, Mike move the other Tiger around to the other side of woods nearby, to get a bead on my other SU, who was coming up behind a hedge.

Next turn, I smoked in the Tiger on the right with a Sherm, and moved the SU up, now it was Mike's turn to be in trouble over there. Seeing an opening on my left, I drove a Sherman up to get a rear shot. I should have known better, Mike would never just let me do that. It was an Ambush, nicely set up. The HIP HS/PSK put a quick end to my plan and left a burning Sherman.

Mike tried to extricate his Smoked Tiger, giving me two shots, one with the SU, and one at the rear target facing from the Shermie, they were good shots, needing a 7 and a 5, but I couldn't make 'em count, and he got away. In Mikes half, he burned another Sherman, and K/O'd the left side SU, effectively ending the game. My three tanks were'nt going to be enough to take on two Tigers working in tandem, and supported by infantry with a 'shrek and PFs. My infantry was never effective.

This is a FANTASTIC scenario, and even though the small force of infantry played a part, it is without a doubt, an armor scenario. The forces are nicely matched.

I do however believe that it is a competitive scenario for experienced armor players, or a nice scenario for novices to work on armor tactics. Mike showed his superior armor knowledge in a couple of places, most notably with the Gun Duel.

I do feel though, that the loss of even one Tiger is enough to give the Russian a significant advantage, so the German has to be very careful and get as many of the Russian tanks as he can before losing one of his own. The loss of a Tiger before any Russian AFV are taken out, and I think you should probably start over. :D

This was a tense, fun scenario, with each of us taking a lot of time between moves, thinking about where we needed to be, getting down to table level to look at LOSs before moving a tank, and that sort of thing.

I will play this one over and over and over, anytime, with anyone.

10 out of 10 stars for "Lend Lease Attack" for me. :D

:salute:

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the AAR. I had a look at the scenario and thought it looked like fun too. I don’t think that it would make a good tournement scenario, what do you think?

You know how things can turn in ASL will a whole lotta what ifs in regards to rolling.

What if one of your TK rolls was low enough to kill the Tiger when you had those two rear shots. What if his PSK rolled a 10? What if one of the Tigers malfed his MA. That why I like scenarios just a little bigger in tournaments.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jack,

Completely agree. Being a tournament vet, I try to avoid Armor scens at tournaments. But then, to be completely honest with you, there are some guys at the tournament I go to who I would love to try my hand against with a scen like this.

If I'm 1-2 and it's 10:30 at night, I would definitely play a scen like this at a tournament. I've never been "in the running" at a tournament, so I can only say I wouldn't play an Armor scen if I was in that situation.

Otherwise, this one is top-notch. Could have gone either way with a couple of dice pips, the way Armor scens are supposed to be. :D

Trezza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tell Mr. Rose that I will knock out both of his Tigers in this one in Austin this year.

Mike768

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Naaah - I don't want to play that one again. It's a good scenario, but I've got some others I want to play. I've got this monster Korean scenario that's played on 40 copies of board 9, but I'll never get a chance to play it. I mean - c'mon, 40 copies of board 9?

Mike

ON TOP ASL

Play J94, J98, J110, J111
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Thanks Roy for the nice AAR!
thebigbad said:
it is without a doubt, an armor scenario.
Yes mostly, but in one of my play-testing the opposing russian infantry actually took my PSK and schrecked my own Tiger, huh!!!! :-(

Otherwize I see scenario has turned 6-1 in favor german on ROAR! For myself i think it's actually a slight pro-russian, given the time, CVP -AND- Exit points.
Also I hope players remember the German setup restriction on/between O-G. So not using the board edge hexes for initial setup.
I am not going to worry to much about the statistics for now as I know about 3 Russian wins that have not been reported to ROAR (on the other hand there should be some unregistered german wins to).

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ON TOP ASL said:
Thanks Roy for the nice AAR!
You're welcome Ola. The time factor is deceptive in most armor scens, and no different here. I got in a bit of a hurry. No need. Tanks have plenty of time, 5 or 6 turns is forever.

6-1 German huh? A recent AAR on the St Louis mailing list wondered about balance, as the guy thought the Germans have to be rather lucky to win! :D

I have to disagree there. But it does take some skill.

You've got a gem here Ola, one of my new faves. The best armor scenario I have played since Uncommon Occurrence came out of DB.

See ya.

ON TOP ASL

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
thebigbad said:
6-1 German huh? A recent AAR on the St Louis mailing list wondered about balance, as the guy thought the Germans have to be rather lucky to win! :D
Yeah, I also witnessed play were the *75 Sherman Gun were mistaken for the 75* and thus give the Russian basic ToKill 10 instead of 14. I think the scenario can be wrong played by this.
IMO, it shouldn't be 6-1, I have to play this again.

KevinG

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played the first half of this via live VASL on Saturday. I think it is another fun, if a little dicey, scenario from Ola. I have really enjoyed both your designs in J6.

I had the Russians and advanced the Southern group cautiously while the Northern group flanked the 2 Tigers. The German player backed up his Tigers to try to avoid the flanking attempt but i was ablt to get some AFV in behind him. One Tiger malfed his MA on an IF shot and the other surived 3 Point Blank Sherman hits on the rear before whacking 2 Shermans in DF on lw odds shots.

It is the bottom of 3. The one survining Tiger is surrounded but could easily knock out 2 more Shermans in Prep and make it real tough on the Russians.

As i say a little dicey, but great fun nonetheless. Keep up the good work Ola!

CKS04

Grenadier Tournament
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Played this Scenario some days ago on the Russian side. I can see why this is 6:1. If the German players is a little bit comfortable with armor i would say that the Russian loose 8 out of 10 games.

The Shermans are "walking death", while they even with a side shot need <= six for a kill (not thinking about a turret hit which would made it even worse). The German HIP Psk (stacked with the 8-1) and the German PF capability will normally prevent easy rear shots against the Tigers.

Neverless a fun scenario because Tigers a so cool.

CK

ON TOP ASL

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Christian and others.
Well, this perhaps turn out to be one of those classic were people agree that scenario is unbalanced, but cannot agree to what side. ;-)
As I stated before I think, it's slight Pro-russian (and I have read other comments, AAR suggesting this) but Christian here (and perhaps others) have the direct opposite opinion.
We will see as time move on and ROAR stat coming to higher values.

I'm going to play this myself soon as the russian, it will be interesting to test again.
My general tactic will be;
1. Not to engage German AFV's too early, wait for turn 3-4 for shoot-outs and by this time russian inf can also help threaten AFV's (it's a long scenario, too many times I seen scenario-defining AFV duels on Turn 2).
2. Place as much SMOKE as possible with the Shermans. Those Tigers should have +Hindrance to fire out.
3. Threat to move out troops of board 4 (to make German a bit jumpy on EVP points).
4. Depending on what happens, swarm german tanks (possibly with inf, support and CC). If swarming shots not result for Shermans, move them towards exit area, and move up next sherman to shoot.

Well see, perhaps it will be disastrous! Anyway it will be fun to play it again.

Last edited:

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah Ola, I think looking for a balance in this one is going to be tough. Armor heavy scenarios tend to go one way or the other quickly and usually end in a flash.

I also believe people who don't normally play Armor heavy scens will go into it with unreal expectations as to how it should play out. With infantry, they rout and come back. With tanks, one mistake, and it's all over.

I think it's going to have its lovers :love: and its haters :mad: .

I think its very good. A nice balance of forces. I personally think the pressure is on the German player. The loss of one tiger too soon will spell disaster. For the Russian, relying on smoke numbers can be hazardous to your health

I'm a fan Ola. :)