J94 - Kempf At Melikhovo; where to put the Gun?

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
J94, Kempf At Melikhovo - where to put the Gun?

Played my first complete ASL scenario since April, thanks to a holiday week here near the equator and a 3rd Thursday Gamers Meetup. I met David, a National University student who had played several matches but was carrying a couple of years of rust. Nevertheless, he had a fine command of Chapters A - D, and he wanted a quick combined arms scenario that we could finish between supper and bedtime, so he chose this quickie from the selection I brought and asked for the Soviets. Since I had played and lost this once as the Ivans I was happy to oblige him.

I came fairly hard at David with the 9-2 and 2 x 467/LMG making an armored assault on the Soviet front at 4T9, with the MMG providing ineffective covering fire and a squad and half-squad flanking. The off-board PzKw IV (H), 8-1 and pair of squads entered on 4GG1 and proceeded to 3AA2, where I made the error of leaving the tank in motion. I pressed the infantry attack hard, perhaps harder than I should have, losing 1.5 squads by T3.

David got his KV on T1, but that was about the best luck he had all night, as he got no sniper opportunities, had two unfortunate HOB results (berserk & surrender/disrupt), and gacked his only fleeting ATG shot against the Mark IV (3Y6 - 3Y2) on an 11.

David made a couple of inexperienced player mistakes like DFF when maintaining concealment would have served him better, and placing his 7-0 with a 447/LMG in 3U1. I think the location of the Gun hurt him most. This is the only real weapon to protect infantry against Flammpanzer depredations, and I think it has to be in a place where it can cover at least 1 victory building, and also have LOSs that cover Red infantry lines of retreat from the pursuing tanks. The 237/ATR should be lurking nearby hoping for a butt shot as the tanks roll past.

So where to stick the damn thing? I can't recall where I had it when I played Malcolm Rutledge in 2005, but he should well remember surviving the side hit on his IV from my adjacent ATR, who hid in X5 if I recall. If I were to try again, here are my picks with pros & cons:

View attachment 38228

S4 - possibly a very unpleasant German surprise; far forward, early elimination likely
V4 - good 360 LOS; pretty far forward
V5 - potentially greater survival; poorer coverage to front
R5 - high TEM; restricted CA & LOS
U6 - dominates road, core for Alamo defense; restricted CA
U5 - good LOS to front & right; weak to left, loss of HIP once in LOS
T5 - covers all 3 victory buildings; loss of HIP once in LOS
T6 - core for Alamo defense; restricted CA & LOS
S5 - also strong Alamo position; most restricted LOS, loss of HIP once in LOS

Other candidates?

Discuss amongst yourselves. I'm ver-kempf-t. :smoke:

Last edited:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: J94, Kempf At Melikhovo - where to put the Gun?

Well, since you asked.

I would put the gun in S3 [S2/T2 facing]. The 237/ATR hips in Y6.

447s in R3, S3, Y3 (MMG/9-1), T4, T6, U6 (LMG/7-0).

IHMO, this scenario (107 - 91 russian on ROAR), depends on two things:

1. When you stop the PZIII FT tank.
2. When the KV appears.

The FT tank can win this scenario almost all by itself. The 45LL and the ATR should try to DI the PZIII ASAP, followed by a retreat out of FT range.

Provided that the PZIII threat ends after killing a squad (maybe two), the russian should win when the KV arrives to neutralize the PZIVH.

My .02 cents.

Rich

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Re: J94, Kempf At Melikhovo - where to put the Gun?

I would put the gun in S3 [S2/T2 facing]
Glad this was the first answer. Shows the variety of approaches to the game players can take, and also demonstrates the re-playability of this scenario. Thanks.