J90 - Time of Humiliation Question

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is PTO in effect for this scenario? It is quite confusing and sends mixed signals on how to play it.

1) It does not say that PTO is ineffect, but the setting is in Indochina.
2) The scenario writeup mentions three times the dense terrain.
3) It uses the large Rice Paddy overlay (#3) and those rules are in Chapter G.
4) It uses the large village with huts overlay (#1), so either huts are in effect due to PTO or all those the 'huts' on the board are Wooden Buildings (non PTO).
5) Without the restricting features of Bamboo and Kunai it is too easy for the Japanese to move around and the French have too much ground to cover making it highly balanced toward the Japanese.

We played it PTO.

This worked well and it was a close game. Hope we played it correctly, but I would like to be sure on the PTO question.

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No PTO

Wolk,
Doc P and I asked at WO and no PTO for this scenario

bob o

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robert Wolkey said:
5) Without the restricting features of Bamboo and Kunai it is too easy for the Japanese to move around and the French have too much ground to cover making it highly balanced toward the Japanese.
As BobO indicated - no PTO.

The last version we playtested we felt was perhaps slightly pro-French & I believe that's what was published. The French really don't need much to cover their right flank as a single squad or two covering the rice paddies will lock that flank. The vast majority of the defense should be on the left hand board.

It's a tricky fall-back defense for the French as they need to contest entry, but then get well back from the emRR before the IJA get there. What the French ROF weapons do & the armor battle will go a long way in determining who wins. The IJA will see some blowout wins & all the French wins will be by the skin of their teeth, so it'll be interesting how this one is perceived balance-wise over the long haul.

Overall it's one of my two favorites from this Journal, along with the SturmTiger scenario.