J87 Flamethrowers

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am just starting J87 "Flames of Unrest" and I have a question about the special FT's the partisans have. Since they have only 12FP and a 1 hex range, basically half of a normal FT, do they still have an 8 TK# vs AFV's or is that halved to a 4 since they are modified fire extinguishers and not real FT's?

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dang....

I'd say they have the same TK number as regular FT, but I can see the possibility that they "should" be halved....

You might want to put the question to "He who knows" - AKA Perry.

Sam

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

When we played this one, we treated the partisan FT's at firing at long range for AFV to kill possiblities. Kinda makes sense but who knows, your best bet is to e-mail ken dunn, the designer or MMP.

Great scenario BTW!

Scott

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The way I read it, at one hex, they have full To Kill properties. Rules don't say otherwise, so I don't see a reason to assume anything differently.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To treat the TK# has halved would treat the FT as firing at long range, which this unit does not have. Since the rule does not give long range capacity to this FT, you should not treat it as long range for any purpose.

Recognizing that reality plays no or very little role in rules interpretation, halving the TK# for this FT would treat the ability of this unit to kill a tank worse than a MOL. The TK ability of this FT (as well as the FP) is dependent on the ability to push flammable fluid. Velocity and arc determine distance. A homemade FT is certainly more lethal than a MOL to a tank.

Neither the rules as written nor logic support the halving of the TK# in this instance.

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can see it from both sides, halved and not halved. I have sent the question to Perry and will await an official verdict. I will post his response here when I get it. Thanks for all your help.

pzkfw5g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SamB said:
but I can see the possibility that they "should" be halved....

Sam
Halving the TK is not the same as halving the probablility of a kill. Example: P(TK=4) = 6/36, P(TK=2) = 1/36. You are probably already aware of this, but it points out the importance of being careful when chosing the die numbers required to do something.

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As promised I am letting everyone know what the official "Perry Sez" ruling was on this issue. The TK# for the FT's remains unchanged at 8.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I presume that what is not modified by a SSR remains as it is.
TK modification is not specified among modifications, thus remains 8.
I try to apply that principle to all the SSRs I meet...