J87 Flames Of Unrest

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Started playing this one on Wednesday....

Looking at the OOB, we just had to play this one! Sturmtigers, goliaths towed by SDKFZ 2's, a Tigger, partisans with Molotovs AND home made FTs, 838s with real FTs, blazes and rubble everywhere - what's not to like!? Who cares what side you play, plenty of toys for everyone.

The scenario's played on half of bd45 (the N board) and half of bd23 (the S board), the partisans setting up basically N of the bd23 canal and the Germans allowed to come on the North and East edges of bd45. The partisans get 3 HIPsters and 4 roadblocks, plus 5 fortified building locations and a bunch (13? 15?) 337s and a few 528s for good measure. The partisans set up fairly scattered on bd 45 with a few squads down near the canal ready to either reinforce or bugger off over the river at high speed. The roadblocks were set to channel the German advance a little, the HIP guys...well, can't tell you as we're still playing and the Germans have only found 2 of them.

Highlights so far - we're at the end of Turn 3 I think.

The biggie. A Tiger pulls up adjacent to an HIP 337 with MOL/FT capability. Ooh ooh! Hold fire. A sturmtiger pulls up in the hex next to said Tiger, also adjacent to the 337. OOH! OOH! Hold fire. An SDKFZ 2 towing a goliath pulls up in the SAME hex as the Sturmtiger! OOH! OOH! OOH! FIRE! Roll for a homemade FT. dr of 1. Got it. Choose target....hmmm, Tiger or Sturmtiger+goliath? Decide to take the Sturmtiger and goliath. Drop FT, roll snakes for resolution, Sturmtiger burns, goliath is destroyed. Shame I couldn't then find a MOL and drop it on the Tiger........

Firing a Sturmtiger. Didn't hit anything, not even a near miss, but by god it made me shift (yes, that did say shiFt) my troops pretty damn quick. Steve couldn't wait to fire it, didn't even wait until he had good targets, the urge was just upon him to do it. Psychological warfare!

Just about every flame we set turning into blazes and spreading......

To come

Partisans into the sewers.
The whole of boards 23 and 45 in flames!
Death and destruction from the Sturmtiger (or it'll break its MA without firing another shot, guaranteed) and goliath.

Who'll eventually win? Who cares? We've had too much fun just playing with the toys so far to even think about VCs, but I think we're pretty even. The Tiger's in position to cause havoc, but the Germans have to be careful about losing many more VPs - they've lost 12ish and can't lose more than 23. They're a long way off the required 44 CVP against the Partisans, but they've got a huge amount of FP to bring to bear......

Fun fun fun, I'll update once we finish it next week.

Cheers

Ian