J83 Bloody Nose

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Bloody Nose had a great buzz at WCM this past weekend, so Paul Simonsen and I decided to give it a whirl.

It's Germans and Rumanians, with German armor support, attacking Russians across a railroad. Goal, take 11 of 16 multi-hex buildings. There were lots of options for both sides.

Paul decided to cede the up front buildings and put half of his eggs in fighting for the central 3-hex building, and the other half of his eggs in guarding the rear/flanking buildings. His intuition was pretty sound, because all the games I kibbutzed saw an intense fight for that 3-hex building.

Paul didn't make it any easier for me by pulling 3 straight black chits on his OBA. The dancing SR is crucial to the Russian defense, and really makes the German advance cautiously.

The crucial play of the game was on turn 3 when, in the face of a SR in my path through the woods in front of the 3-hex building, I broke his 9-1 stack on a lucky shot. I siezed the opportunity and rushed into the 3-hex building before the OBA could cut me off behind me. The battle in there was fierce, but some tank support I was able to take the building. Then, it was a matter of mopping up the flanks and hoping for the best against a determined Russian counterattack. I held out for the win, with only one good order tank left in play.

This is an excellent scenario. Balance seems just right. It's exciting and fun. The endgame is a rarity in ASL, in that there are about 2 extra turns beyond what the Axis should need to take the buildings... plenty of time for the spread-out Russians to focus on retaking a building of his choice. This forces the Axis to attack on a wide front, and leave sentries behind to secure the buildings that have been taken.

All and all, this received a big thumbs up from the SoCal crowd. I think it went, like, 4-3 Axis-Russian.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
the two 81 mtrs are good at placing smoke, to cover the Axis approaches.
I find the Romanians quite brittle... and the Russian OBA can win the day... or lose it.
But the scenario is real fun to play - and offers a three gamer possibility.