J8 scenarios -most likely to succeed?

Which scenario of this magazine will stand the test of time as a tourney favorite?

• Total voters

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which of the scenarios from Journal number eight is most likely to become an all-time classic?

Of course Elephants Unleashed has a lot of momentum going , but I think my Schloss can stay with it over the long haul.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm hoping, that in about 2 weeks, I'll have an answer to this question...

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Yeah, what he said.
Yeah, what he said. :)

I PT'd a few of them but only remember a couple, plus one or two which didn't make the cut.

The Triangle - bit of a snoozeathon I thought.
Charging Chaumont - nice bit of deluxe action.

Last edited:

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have any of the previously published scenarios undergone any changes?
Brigade Hill was modified slightly from its original version (the VC were tweaked). Otherwise the reprints are unchanged, save for some language which was altered to be in "official" format.

Arlecchino

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I see now that some scenario in this Journal was previously published by other TPP. There's a list of non-original scenario that are official re-released by MMP? (journal, AP, Core module etc...)

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, I know of no comprehensive list. But going back well into the 1990s, a number of "official" ASL scenarios were originally published by third party producers.

ON TOP ASL

Play J94, J98, J110, J111
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
J119 Sovkhoz Haystacks
OK. Scenario Designer race is on :)
I put my vote to own scenario J119. I think it's a good design with split VC which is always good for scenario. As it is a late war scenario it will be hard to reach the top, but... Given the really good feedback from JR Tracy and Steven Pleva during playtest it might well be a "winner".

Anyway the Shelling design machine and the proven Maczek scenario is likely to top this list.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marketplace at Wormhoudt was a Dispatches scenario from 1998. That sounds like a time-tested veteran to me.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe a better question would be which NEW scenario will stand the test of time. I think both the FrF reprints are already tourney favorites, this release in a Journal will only solidify that.

As an aside, I myself, don't really like all the reprints in the Journal. As I purchase all the better TPP products already, I don't like paying for a product/scenario twice. A small gripe really in the grand scheme of things, but a gripe nonetheless...

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's understood that some will feel this way. But it's also the hope that the folks who haven't been exposed to Friendly Fire or Dispatches From The Bunker, for example, will discover some really great scenarios through the Journal. Not everyone is exposed to what most tournament-going ASL players are exposed to.

Also, any TPP scenario that is published in the Journal gets there because the original creators have gone out of their way to submit them for official publication. We don't go to them asking if we can use them. The scenarios are offered.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
As an aside, I myself, don't really like all the reprints in the Journal. As I purchase all the better TPP products already, I don't like paying for a product/scenario twice. A small gripe really in the grand scheme of things, but a gripe nonetheless...
I'm diametrically opposite as I don't buy much TPP stuff - it's good to see them getting the airtime they deserve :)

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really don't care for the "stand the test of time as a tourney favorite" proviso; as if tourney play and the artifice of "tourney scenarios" is the bedrock of ASL play.

Just saying...

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really don't care for the "stand the test of time as a tourney favorite" proviso; as if tourney play and the artifice of "tourney scenarios" is the bedrock of ASL play.

Just saying...
Well it's kind of like this, then..

Which will guys still want to play 5 years from now, even over some of the new stuff coming out at the time?

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Just saying...
I agree - I prefer large meaty scenarios (not that J8 has them, as I don't have it yet to confirm). So, smallish scenarios might see a play for me, but it's the large ones that I really enjoyed that I remember that I'm likely to try again (well, except maybe Guards Counterattack which I seem to be on a roll with playing - mostly for teaching new players, though).

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like seeing the DftB scenarios. They have contributed some classics in previous journals and am glad to see them back in there as this forces Jim Mehl to finally add them to his "official only" playlist.

Bill

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well it's kind of like this, then..

Which will guys still want to play 5 years from now, even over some of the new stuff coming out at the time?
I'm really not trying to be ...snippy...but I think a good scenario is just that, a good scenario, regardless of size or tournament 'suitability'. I understand the time and date restraints of tournaments, and yes, some scenarios are a better fit than others if you need to get more than two scenarios in during any particular day, but I don't think *that* should be the default scenario template. We'd be far worse for the wear without Hill 621 or The First (or -Last) Bid...