J8 scenarios -most likely to succeed?

Which scenario of this magazine will stand the test of time as a tourney favorite?

• Total voters

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If MMP feels that they wish to republish a TPP scenario, with the approval of the scenario owner. Then I am all for it.

I missed many of the early TPP items, due to many "real-world" missions. But since late 1999/early 2000, I have been trying to catch up in the ASL world.

Yeah, real world things are a major hassle, but quit complaining when MMP tries to do the "Right Thing".

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If MMP feels that they wish to republish a TPP scenario, with the approval of the scenario owner. Then I am all for it.
I'd say it also helps with the playtest schedule, as much of it is done already. Thus 'new' scenarios can have more playtest resources devoted to
them.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe a better question would be which NEW scenario will stand the test of time. I think both the FrF reprints are already tourney favorites, this release in a Journal will only solidify that.

As an aside, I myself, don't really like all the reprints in the Journal. As I purchase all the better TPP products already, I don't like paying for a product/scenario twice. A small gripe really in the grand scheme of things, but a gripe nonetheless...
I agree, re-purchasing scenarios which I have played two or three times in tourneys and own in TPP isn't cool.

Rich

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
at least certifies at the eyes of the more lealist *official products only buyers* that also TPP can create scenarios that sometime are better than those coming from the MMP staff. A fact should encourage even the most skeptical to give them a try.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Although in the last few years I have been able to buy more of the TPP like FrF, LFT and SP, for a long time I had no practical source for those. I have less of a problem seeing some of those rehashed in Journals.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
at least certifies at the eyes of the more lealist *official products only buyers* that also TPP can create scenarios that sometime are better than those coming from the MMP staff. A fact should encourage even the most skeptical to give them a try.
I'm not sure what you mean by "lealist" (elitist maybe?) but historically the Journal has always been a "presenter" (if you will) of good TPP scenarios. Part of the reason they go into the Journal in the first place is to introduce them to people who would otherwise not know anything about them and thus would miss their value as high-quality scenarios.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure what you mean by "lealist" (elitist maybe?) but historically the Journal has always been a "presenter" (if you will) of good TPP scenarios. Part of the reason they go into the Journal in the first place is to introduce them to people who would otherwise not know anything about them and thus would miss their value as high-quality scenarios.
I'm for it. I've just started buying TPP stuff (in addition to MMP) in the last year or so and one of the reasons I did was that I realized I'd played half the scenarios from Hell on Wheels...and they were awesome (Canicatti is a particular fave). So, having been an "official only" buyer who was converted to buying TPP stuff largely by the Journal, I'm still going to be more than happy to buy a few scenarios twice. The TPP word will be spread. By MMP. :):):)

S

PS I think ecz meant "legalist"

Reactions: ecz

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think ALL the scenarios from J8 will be played at least ONCE this year by someone.

I will have a few that I am looking forward too (saw the draft versions during the proofing).

BTW, I deleted all my draft J8 files once Chas Argent said they were for sale at WO.

Last edited:

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I mean " loyalist " sorry.
I know the Journal is the place where the best of the best of the TPP is given to the vast majority of ASLers. I think is a good thing and also has the side effect to show the good value of certain TPP products. Mine was just an answer to those would see brand new scenarios only.
If I can add a further detail I would say that a lot of good designers have a fair better chance to see their works published by MMP via a previous publication elsewhere than asking directly to MMP. So, in conclusion, I hope TPP continue to create some good stuff and the Journal continue to select the best for publication.

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It also shows that MMP is not as 'Anti-TPP' as some on this board and elsewhere would like everyone to believe.

A healthy third-party market shows a healthy hobby. Even MMP can't fill every niche (see 'Deluxe Action Pack'), but all parties benefit from quality products.
IMO.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This was a tough one. I really like the looks of Elphants Unleashed (J118), but I went with Cobra Kings (J124) for the simple reason that I like the deluxe boards and I am glad to see them getting some use in a new product. The Jumbo Shermans are also a cool toy that I haven't had much chance to use in the past so I'm looking forward to using them in this one

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm hoping, that in about 2 weeks, I'll have an answer to this question...
Well, it was longer than 2 weeks but its finally in my hands.

Best Scenario(s) MaCzek Fire Brigade and the Marketplace at Wormhoudt look hard to beat. I also want to try The Triangle and the Bloody Bois.... But I don't have board 52 yet.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Well, it was longer than 2 weeks but its finally in my hands.

Best Scenario(s) MaCzek Fire Brigade and the Marketplace at Wormhoudt look hard to beat. I also want to try The Triangle and the Bloody Bois.... But I don't have board 52 yet.
Well its April the 7th and I've just got my J8. I think this contest is a close call between Everything Is Lost, Schloss Hemingstein and the one I finally chose; Sovkhoz Haystacks. I think this armor heavy scenario is going to be hard to resist because of its 6x KV-85 and 7x TigerI contest. Plus it is a nice big playing area suitable for dynamic play and a variable VC to keep the players guessing. Looking good.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Gonna give Cobra Kings a wirl today and see how it pans out. If it was not for the ASL Open, I would more then likely have passed on this one. The scenarios that do look like ones I want to try are the Mareket Place at Wormhodt, Last Push to Mozhaisk, Everything is Lost, thise seem to be the most interesting scenarios in this Journal plus they dont have questionable SSR's which is always a good thing I guess.

Scott

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got mine Saturday. These are all new scenarios to me.

Brigade Hill jumps out at me, but given the ongoing playthorugh of the Op Watchtower scenarios ('coz of the Pacific on HBO) and the Blood and Jungle stuff, i probably won't get to ti for a while. Elefants Unleashed will probably be the first one I play, and since Kursk is an area of interest for me, i can see myself playing this one multiple times over the years....and breaking it out again in 2015.