J8 / Crosstown Traffic

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The subject article has to be one of the finest, if not the finest ASL article I have ever read.

The detail...the organization...it covered every thing in an easy to read format. The use of a summation at critical junctures of the rules reinforces the detail in a simplistic yet almost mnemonic methodology. The article was neither pretentious nor esoteric...it avoided being overly subtle about what is one of the more subtle set of rules/tactics. I would call it a "blue collar", "in the trenches" explanation of a very broad and hard to grasp topic.

Best of all, I learned something new...and I bet most will also. And that is the highest achievement that any article like this can hope to do for the readership to which it is directed.

This article alone makes J8 worth the cost.

Way to go Carl...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
What is the article about? I don't have my J8 yet.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Tate, glad you liked it. They wouldn't let me put my avatar on it though, the bastiges.

The subject article has to be one of the finest, if not the finest ASL article I have ever read.

The detail...the organization...it covered every thing in an easy to read format. The use of a summation at critical junctures of the rules reinforces the detail in a simplistic yet almost mnemonic methodology. The article was neither pretentious nor esoteric...it avoided being overly subtle about what is one of the more subtle set of rules/tactics. I would call it a "blue collar", "in the trenches" explanation of a very broad and hard to grasp topic.

Best of all, I learned something new...and I bet most will also. And that is the highest achievement that any article like this can hope to do for the readership to which it is directed.

Way to go Carl...

burniefox

Doomsower
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Way to go Carl...

Could not agree more. In fact I was going to post a message to that very effect when I read this.

Nice one, Carl.

B-

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Tate, glad you liked it. They wouldn't let me put my avatar on it though, the bastiges.
They wouldn't even compromise by letting you put just the most important parts of your avatar on it? :D

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even I could not be that cruel. Besides, the unbreakable lens does not live that could pull that photo off. Hope you burned your retinas out thinking that one up Crowe. You going to the Noreaster with the wife you bum?
Probably because the avatar you submitted was NOT Adrienne Barbeau, but yourself in a lacy purple mansierre...:scream:

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Spent the last two days reading through my copy of J8. Have to echo Tate's comments re this article. What struck me was that Crosstown Traffic was followed up by Pitman's thought provoking article. Nice one-two there - an indepth analysis followed by an article that forced me to look at where I am as an ASL player. I now have to go back through and re-read some of the earlier Journal/Annual articles on particular areas of ASL play that are weak areas for me. I appreciated the look at AP4 and TTT packs as well, as they're still relatively new to me (t3 in particular only hitting my mailbox in February).

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow! Something Tater and Bishop agree on!

As mentioned, both Carl's and Pitman's articles are top shelf. I'm still wading through the rest of the mag so may have other kudos to dole out as well.

BTW: Has everyone noticed the WA/HIP errata? Haven parsed it completely, but it appears to be a very well thoughtout solution to the obvious problem of HIP units and WA.

Especially love the simplicity of "HIP units are ignored when determing the WA status of broken units." Now, if only we had something similar regarding determination of hindrances, ;).

JT