J76 Ultimate Treachery AAR

Adrian Carter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This game is set in Hanoi Citadel, French Indochina on 10 March 1945. The 21st Japanese Infantry Division is attacking the Brière de Isle Barracks defended by the 1er Battalion du 9er Régiment d’Infantrie Coloniale, du 1er Régiment de Tirailleurs Tonkinois supported by a Char Léger Renault FT mle 1917 (F T-17M) of the Détachement Motorisé de Hanoi on one half of board 21. The Japanese must capture 45 or more building Locations in the French setup area but not lose more than 18 CVP to the French, and have 4½ turns to do it. We chose this scenario to accustom ourselves to the Japanese without the complications of PTO terrain. Of note is that Banzai and T-H Hero Banzai were not available. It’s a small, straight city fight with Woods/Orchards designated as Palm Trees. It was a bit of challenge to convert Woods (Non-Inherent) to Orchards (Inherent). Our solution was a judicious use of draggable overlays, but we had to be aware that the VASL LOS checks didn’t work for the draggable overlays. The ROAR record showed 44 Japanese wins against 47 French wins. Johan attacked with the Japanese and I defended with the French.
  • French advantages: 12 MMCs, 3 MGs, many stone buildings
    French disadvantages: only 2 leaders, WW1 vintage tank
  • Japanese advantages: 16 MMCs, 3 leaders, 4 MGs
    Japanese disadvantages: Lots of building locations to occupy, only 4½ turns
Figure 1 shows the troop dispositions at the start of the game. The French used the doctrine of the Methodical Battle (Bataille Conduite) and the Supremacy of Fire Power (Le feu tue, literally Firepower Kills) for their setup. I know, it didn’t work in 1940, but maybe it would suffice in Indochina. My plan for the French was to use the weaker 437 MMCs as breakwaters to stem the tide of Japanese supported by the HMG and MMG on the first levels of 21Y4 and 21Z5, respectively. The HIP ACQ counters show the bore sighted locations. The FT-17M was set up at the back. This tank is pretty useless in ASL terms. It has only a 4FP CMG, 5 red MF and no Radio as well as pretty thin armour. The wooden building in 21AA2 is pretty important because it contains 18 building locations over 3 levels. The Japanese decided to attack mainly from the south with a small force in the west to keep the French honest. I really liked the French attack because it spotted my failure to setup any form of MG on level 1 in the 21DD7 building or 21Z8. This meant that the Japanese could run up the wall without taking any fire until they reached it. In retrospect, I think putting the tank 21FF5/6 or 21BB8 might have been a better idea.

Figure 2 shows the troop dispositions at the end of turn 2. The Japanese had made good progress on the south and eastern side of the barracks and had driven the French back. However, the Japanese forces in the west were still trying to work their way around the big building in the north. The challenge for the Japanese is their propensity to reduce rather than break, especially if there is a CVP cap for them. In contrast, the French were able to break and fall back ready to rally and fight again.

Figure 3 shows the troop dispositions at the end of Japanese turn 4 which also happened to be the end of the game. The French had destroyed 25 CVP worth of Japanese and therefore won the game. Although H-t-H combat is normally a big advantage for the Japanese, it is can be deadly for both sides. The French could afford to lose troops, the Japanese couldn’t in this scenario. By the end of the CCPh of Japanese turn 4 we had resolved 4 CCs and 1 Melee and the Japanese had hit 25 CVP (18 was their limit). Ultimately, it was a combination of French MMG fire and the H-t-H combat that finished the Japanese. And, by the way, the FT-17M really was next to useless. We both really enjoyed this scenario, although it looks tough for the Japanese if the French don’t make too many mistakes in their setup. Thumbs up!

Cheers, Adrian

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey now, don't dis the FT-17! In a scenario like this, getting the most out of that Beautiful Loser should be an important personal goal. The bar is certainly low; nobody will ever blame you for not getting much out of an FT-17, but if you DO... it's glorious, baby.

Here, the Japanese don't have tanks of their own and I didn't see any mention of ATRs, so the only things the FT-17 has to fear are MGs and CC. There ain't no HtH CC against AFVs (I don't THINK?), so that crappy tank has as much CC FP as your standard Sherman. Keep it in Motion, too, to benefit from the +2 CC DRM and maximize all of those 5 MP while avoiding red-MP Stall rolls.

On top of that, maybe use the tank to block Japanese movement through some important hex. Seems like W3 is a nice place; you're HD to MG TK attempts and you can claim WA over those hexsides and get some fire down on IJA approaches to the big wooden building. If the Japanese Banzai you, your infantry buddies in the building behind you can hose 'em down with PBF at a -2 DRM.

So don't grouse about this unwanted and unloved asset in your OB. Set the bar low, and figure out some small advantage it can give you. Sure, it'll probably go down ignominiously, but hopefully it'll buy you just a little time and space. For the lowly FT-17, that's all one can ask for.

Adrian Carter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I guess I'll need to love my FT-17s a little more. Nice ideas about keeping the AFV in motion and hunting down Japanese squads in CC. Thanks, Tuomo 👍 However, if I understand the setup restrictions correctly :geek:, I couldn't place the FT-17-M directly in hex 21W3 because the setup must be north of hexes 21W2 to 21W8 and not on. At least that was my understanding after reading the setup instructions. Now excuse me while I go and hug my FT-17M counter ;)

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Try to find the article "What to do with a Tin Can" (makes for interesting reading).

Adrian Carter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Good tip! I found the article in Journal No. 1 - "What to do if you have a tin can" by David Olie. Nice article, but it does put the FT-17 at the bottom of the pile of bad AFVs: 1. Sloow movement (5 MP), 2. weak armour (1/0), 3. -weak MA (4FP MG), 4. Low tech (no Radio, Mechanical Unreliability). Nevertheless, it is immune to small arms fire and has a CMG with a range of 12 hexes. I'll just have to try harder next time ;)

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When you consider that the FT-17 (in all variants) was the first AFV with a revolving turret, of course it will at the bottom of any AFV list.
But it did start the process of turreted armored fighting vehicles as weapons of war being produced. Since then, look what has been
produced in armories around the world since 1919.

Adrian Carter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Laurent, well designed scenario. Thank you!
It's a nice refresher for the Japanese without the complications of banzai or PTO terrain. I think that it is always good to have a broad spectrum of scenarios available that range from straightforward to more esoteric. J76 works well.