J43 3rd RTR in the Rain - AAR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
J43 3rd RTR in the Rain - AAR

After a couple of years I played this one again when one of my opponents proposed the scenario, once more as the defending Germans. Also in this second playing, the game was fun.

In the early game, I was quite lucky to inflict some breaks on the British advancing on the northern flank. In the south, the Germans were more hard pressed, but the ATG managed to kill two tanks (one of them due to a very close and tricky but clear LOS) before being taken out by the British MTR.

Around Turn 3, the British pressure mounted and my 1.5 squads and 8-0 in the central building were in dire straits: the 8-0 died due to fate, the 468+ATR was broken and the HS found it prudent to withdraw while still able to. Furthermore, the British had moved into a strong position in the south in the westernmost woods and behind the wall. In the north, however, I managed to keep a couple of British squads under DM that were stuck in the woods hexes on the board edge, which took out significant pressure from the British attack.

I committed my tanks in German Turn 3, which cost each side one tank. British Turn 4 saw a limited armored attack by the British, which again cost each side one tank, so only one PzIII and the best British tank were left. However, the German infantry in the central building did recover and was reinforced.

Despite being pushed back in the southern woods and a HS and the ATG Crew being captured, the Germans were still lodged in the buildings. A British HS poised to take one building had to pass a 1MC but rolled boxcars for Multiple Casualties. Another squad with ATR was broken. With only two movement phases remaining and numerous British units broken, my opponent conceded as the Germans were still in good positions and the remaining British would have had a tough time getting close to some of the buildings. Again, a fun playing.

Here a picture of the final situation at the start of British Turn 5:

RTR.jpg

von Marwitz

Last edited:

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
one of my favs. I prefer :
a) give the German the balance
b) place the AT gun in P4 building (or in N0 to have possibly two fire phases to hit the British AFVs on the side)
c) as British avoid the woods on the right because it's easy to defend that side and it's the long way to the buildings.

but I have lost more often than not this scenario, thus is probably better the opposite I have said.

Bismork

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
It was great fun indeed. I played this one before many years ago, also as the Brits and also lost. I think it’s tough for the British if you have a competent opponent with a decent setup. Both was the case here. Thanks again to Herr von Marwitz for beeig such a good sport and also putting up with me being a bit rusty.