J38 Bitter Defense at Otta set up question

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This scenario has Board 7 in the west, 2 in the middle and 5 in the east. 7 and 5 are oriented the same way and Board 2 the opposite way. The defenders set up: "...east of the river on/north of hexrows 7I-5I." There is no mention of board 2; its row in line with Row I on Boards 5 and 7 is row Y. So can the defender set up on Board 2 or not?

The scenario description states the defenders positioned on the high ground which is only on Board 2. The set up seems to say that they can only set up on boards 5 & 7 but the intent may be to be able to set up on all three boards. But wouldn't the set up then say "...east of the river on/north of hexrows 7I-2Y-5I?"

Last edited:

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you please quote the entire defender set up instructions word for word?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't have the scenario in front of me, but if they set up east of the river I wonder can they set up on board 2? Or would that put them west of the river?

Fred

buser333

Reaction score
This scenario has Board 7 in the west, 2 in the middle and 5 in the east. 7 and 5 are oriented the same way and Board 2 the opposite way. The defenders set up: "...east of the river on/north of hexrows 7I-5I." There is no mention of board 2; its row in line with Row I on Boards 5 and 7 is row Y. So can the defender set up on Board 2 or not?

The scenario description states the defenders positioned on the high ground which is only on Board 2. The set up seems to say that they can only set up on boards 5 & 7 but the intent may be to be able to set up on all three boards. But wouldn't the set up then say "...east of the river on/north of hexrows 7I-2Y-5I?"
Yes, they can setup anywhere in between the coordinates you speak of. Board 2 lies in between them.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since the Scenario states 7I to 5I that means everything between those hexrows is the setup area. If it had said something like, on/north of hexrows 7I, and 5I then board 2 would not be included.