J202 Down By The River SSR

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
So, SSR states the river is flooded. No mention of the stream depth. Flooded or not?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
As many have correctly pointed out, the letter of the Rulz dictates the stream is "Shallow" and the level of the stream is -1. Of course, this presents the ASL play with a geographically and hydrologically improbable situation with a flooded river at level 0 just a few hexes away from a stream at -1.

After a flurry of impassioned and emotional discussion, and careful consideration of the fact that the SSRs for this scenario reek of environmental moisture, we as a playing group have decided to reject what we have come to call the "beaver dam hypothesis" and play the stream as flooded, which is what we feel was the original scenario designer's artistic intent anyhow.

That's our story and we're sticking to it.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If the stream is flooded, it will cut part of the upper board from the other and prevent any advance along the streambed.
That would change the scenario's dynamics.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Water does not flow without gravity. The stream cuts across the board at level 0. We know that the stream has probably dropped inches to feet during a 500 yard traverse. But we play ASL physics and suspend reality ... kind of.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
If the stream is flooded, it will cut part of the upper board from the other and prevent any advance along the streambed.
That would change the scenario's dynamics.
<gasp!>

Kinda makes it like kinky sex?

FWIW there is a footbridge across the stream by SSR....just one more clue as to the designer's artistic intent....

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Klas has it correct (What a surprise there! o_O). as per B20.4 "If undefined by SSR, a stream is considered to be shallow."

BTW, I would have gone with your assessment as also flooded; but then again, what do I know! :unsure:🤐

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I think Klas has it correct (What a surprise there! o_O). as per B20.4 "If undefined by SSR, a stream is considered to be shallow."

BTW, I would have gone with your assessment as also flooded; but then again, what do I know! :unsure:🤐
Of course Klas had it correct....don't be silly.

Still, the SSRs for rthis scenario absolutely reek of water.....it's art man,,,,

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
We agree with @Jazz, et al and are playing it flooded. Anybody know the designer?
I have been in touch with him. The submission had the stream as Deep - never Flooded. IIRC, it was changed to Shallow during play testing.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
We agree with @Jazz, et al and are playing it flooded. Anybody know the designer?
Designer here.... what Klas says. The original design had the stream flooded, which was for realism reasons. That was changed during the playtests.