J2.31 Hand to Hand CC

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hand to Hand CC (J2.31)

I reread the Close Combat rules. At the end of the 11.11 Resolution paragraph the rule mentions the Hand-to-Hand CC (the red numbers on the CC Table). I don’t have the rule (it is given with the Japanese isn’t it ?). Could someone summarize me how it works, just for information ?

La Palice.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Comes with the Deluxe rules (Chapter J). Unfortunately, they're in my ASLRBv1, which is currently out on loan.
The Attacker (or Ambushing Defender) can declare HtH when they declare CC attacks (step 8.21B of the ASOP). As you say, the red Kill Numbers are used when resolving attacks.

From memory, I believe it's not possible to declare HtH once a Melee exists, unless there's a new unit entering the Melee. CCs tend not to last long when HtH is involved.

You can only declare HtH when it's permitted (ie, by SSR or in Deluxe ASL, or when using Gurkhas, Japanese, and Dare-Devil Chinese).

Think that covers it.

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Chris Milne said:
Comes with the Deluxe rules (Chapter J). Unfortunately, they're in my ASLRBv1, which is currently out on loan.
The Attacker (or Ambushing Defender) can declare HtH when they declare CC attacks (step 8.21B of the ASOP). As you say, the red Kill Numbers are used when resolving attacks.

From memory, I believe it's not possible to declare HtH once a Melee exists, unless there's a new unit entering the Melee. CCs tend not to last long when HtH is involved.

You can only declare HtH when it's permitted (ie, by SSR or in Deluxe ASL, or when using Gurkhas, Japanese, and Dare-Devil Chinese).

Think that covers it.
Thank you. In fact hand to hand is when soldiers fight with their bayonets, their knifes…, corps à corps in French. In fact I thought that Close Combat simulated that, hand to hand, but it simply simulates fights in the same location.

La Palice.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Bruce Probst posted (on the ASLML) this handy summary of when HtH can be declared...

That's a subtle distinction between HTH as per
Chapter J (where it's permitted by a non-Ambushed ATTACKER only) and Chapter
G (Japanese) where it's required by a non-Ambushed Japanese ATTACKER *or* a
DEFENDER Japanese who wins an Ambush (G1.64). A25.43 gives the Gurkhas the
"Japanese variant" except that with them HTH is optional.

Priest

Reaction score
Volkswagen said:
Is there a chart for that?
Mark Pitcavage has made a CC flowchart, it can be obtained at his Desperatiom Morale website, check it out to see if it is what you are looking for.