J197 Death on the French Coast

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We played it as HIP since the gun is offboard "somewhere". The chosen board edge hex is for LOS purposes only.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was what I was thinking also. It would make sense until it comes out to keep the Germans a little off balance.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whether the Gun is HIP or not has no effect on the scenario. It's offboard, so it cannot be fired at. I think as soon as the offboard Gun fires, the German player can ask for a LOS check, so the SSR2 secretly-recorded hex for LOS purposes will be revealed.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
absolutely agree with your comments. I just do not want him to know before it fires.

thank you

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SSR2 says you "secretly record" the LOS hex, so your opponent won't know until the Gun fires. If I were the Germans, I'd let my opponent check secretly, and only learn the hex if there is LOS to the target. A SSR like this giving an offboard Gun isn't covered by the rules, so the scenario designer needs to be clearer as to when that secret hex is revealed.

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One more question on this SSR: does the +12 added to the range also affect the number of blind hexes for LOS purposes, or is it just on the TH#?