J19 - Merzenhausen Zoo (Crocs and King Tigers, oh my!)

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been 3 months since our last AAR after a bit of an ASL break...

After six days of fighting, XIX Corps believed they were ready for a quick push to the Roer. Merzenhausen was the key to the enemy’s defenses west of the Roer River. The 246th Volksgrenadier Division was undergoing a relief in place. TF 1/66 with Crocs attacked before the relief occurred and ran into elements of the 246th Volksgrenadier Division and LXXXI Corps.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Another well produced episode, welcome back.

I've played this years ago and its a tough haul for the Yanks. One thing to remember with later war US armour are the S#, sM# WP# (on 75mm armed Sherman tanks) that can help screen an advance or cover gaps in terrain.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys. I agree this looks like a tough one for the Yanks. All the Germans have to do is delay enough so their two King Tigers can rumble on with re-enforcements to secure the village. The Yanks have to push hard and fast to get into a least the outskirts of the village before that happens.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great special effects on this AAR. Well done. I analyzed this scenario in the pages of Banzai (http://www.texas-asl.com/banzai/banzai4_1.pdf). The Americans should make ample use of smoke. It should be top of mind every turn. Ordnance smoke, smoke dispensers, and infantry smoke grenades. I had one game where I rescued a tank from likely death by King Tiger by running infantry up and throwing smoke grenades in 3 hexes to block LOS. In general I'd avoid confrontations with the German armor, and use my tanks to hammer the enemy infantry, and otherwise help the American infantry forward. I'd also try to get some flanking going. Then, be opportunistic in taking out the armor.