J182 Belgium Blitzkrieg

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this scenario as the Belgians recently versus my regular opponent Dave.

My Belgians had 7.5 squads, Mmg, 50mm Mtr, 47AT gun and 8 dummies. They are opposed by 13 German squads, Mmg(2), Lmg (3), 50mm Mtr, Atr in 1940. The Germans can choose up to five squads... to (instead of onboard setup) enter on turn three (actual entry shown).

The Germans win by controlling the upfront stone building by the end of turn two or by controlling two multi-hex buildings at the seven turn game end. The Germans get two 37L guns as reinforcements on/after turn 2, while the Belgies get a platoon and two 1940ish AFVs with a 9-2 to boot. The Belgian turn five reinforcements have the ability to kill the game should they reach the second VC building quickly.

The picture shown is at the end of German turn one.

I put two squads, three HS, the 47AT gun and an 8-0 in the front buildings to be sure to keep them for two turns. I feared an all out German blitz to the buildings, foregoing the turn three entry option. As it was, Dave entered the squads shown on turn three and aided by a ROF tear by the 47AT gun, I busted up his initial assault on the front complex.

The Germans rallied, recovered and re-assaulted the village with great success, capturing the entire upfront complex by the end of turn three, aided by a one sniper breaking the 47AT gun's crew and some bad MC checks by my low blood sugar chocolate eaters.

Turns four and five featured the Germans running their sausage like legs off towards the N4 second VC building hex. A vicious fire fight followed in the O4 woods complex. The Germans had numbers, but were often CX and the CCs swung back and forth.

I was able to prevent the Germans from enveloping my two flanks and this allowed the Belgian reinforcements to pedal the bikes ala Tour de France to the front. My two AFVs ran ahead to support my four HS, 457, 9-1 holding the besieged N5 building/rubble complex.

I thought it would be a nail biter, but Mars interceded on my behalf. I won one CC with snakes generating a 7-0 for a one pip survival/infiltration back to VC building, a 457 tied up and CR'd four HS/hero, a 248/9-1 ambushed a 468/Lmg in the rubble hex and withdrew. The best was my T15(b)/9-2 which overran and killed in CC two 468s/Mmg/Lmg/8-1, then broke the Adjacent Atr in VCA turn Prep, retaining rate and breaking the 228/37L AT gun two hexes away in yet another rate shot.

Enough to make grown men weep!

My other OT AFV stunned, but the reinforcements were going to flood the VC building on my turn 6, and it was over.

Fun scenario, several cat and mouse tactical options, should be a tourney option for years.

Rich

Last edited:

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rich,

Did you eat before posting this AAR? What's with all the food metaphors?

Think this is one of the best scenarios in the new Journal, may be one of the best Allied Minor scenarios ever. Good options for both and I would gladly take either side in it.

I noticed you didn't have a dispersed smoke counter in hex V6 from the at start Blaze in S8. There should be 3 Drifting Dispersed SMOKE counters = to the Hindrance DRM emanating from the Blaze source (+3 Terrain Blaze)-A24.61 Lines 7-12.

This is important for the Belgian and how he plans his fall back defense. Good AAR.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rich,

Think this is one of the best scenarios in the new Journal, may be one of the best Allied Minor scenarios ever. Good options for both and I would gladly take either side in it.

I noticed you didn't have a dispersed smoke counter in hex V6 from the at start Blaze in S8. There should be 3 Drifting Dispersed SMOKE counters = to the Hindrance DRM emanating from the Blaze source (+3 Terrain Blaze)-A24.61 Lines 7-12.

This is important for the Belgian and how he plans his fall back defense. Good AAR.
You are correct as to the missing dispersed smoke, forgot it was a building and somehow (age?) thought it was a blazing wreck.

Yes, I had eaten a huge plate of carnitas at a good Mexican restaurant with a friend (that is we ate, not that I also ate a friend along with the carnitas).

Note, the Tour de France is not a French dessert, but a bicycle race :).

Rich

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this one recently and lost as German. After the first playing I would prefer the allies.
It is going to extremely difficult to take the building in 2 turns , although it will eventually fall.
I brought in 3 squads as reinforcements and in retrospect I would have used 5.
I will try again with 5 to see how that goes.
The overall scenario allows for a lot of replayability in choices for attacker and defender.
I am not sure the best strategy to utilize the towed ATG as the german.
they are extremely vulnerable while towing.

Stan

Arch71

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Rich,

Actually, shouldnt there only be 2 x drifting smoke, A24.4 states that in a mild breeze terrain/wreck blazes are a level two hindrance.

[EXC: in a mild breeze it is a two level LOS Hindrance]

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Actually, shouldnt there only be 2 x drifting smoke, A24.4 states that in a mild breeze terrain/wreck blazes are a level two hindrance.

[EXC: in a mild breeze it is a two level LOS Hindrance]
The number of Drifting Smoke counters is not determined by the height of the Smoke from the Blaze, it is equal the +DRM Hindrance of the Blaze Smoke.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
one thing that I wonder.. what is the role for the 2 rubble counters?
From the Intro text:
"...German Heinkel bombers had severely punished the village, destroying the church and rubbling or setting fire to much of the rest...."

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If asking from the point of game play, I would propose they are for taking away level 1 stone locations from which the Belgians can place fire from over hedges/grain etc. and yet be in control of a building. Probably best use in the first multi-hex building in the village (the one adjacent to the large patch of woods), JMHO though.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some playtesters tried to get rubble to fall onto to the road to slow down the cyclists.
Certainly not a given, and not a game breaking strategy when successful.

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If asking from the point of game play, I would propose they are for taking away level 1 stone locations from which the Belgians can place fire from over hedges/grain etc. and yet be in control of a building. Probably best use in the first multi-hex building in the village (the one adjacent to the large patch of woods), JMHO though.
This was my approach on this one. I put the rubble in J7 and M6 for exactly that reason; to deny LOS over the hedges. I guess it worked out since I won the game, but I don't think that choice was decisive.