J182 - Belgian Blitzkreig HtH

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We just finished our head to head playing of Belgian Blitzkreig.

In the first game, I took the Belgians. I anchored my defence around the woods in the center of the board, leaving only a few squads up front in the Z6 multi-hex building. Unfortunately, I underestimated my opponents skill and aggression in attack, and he was able to do some pretty nifty encircling moves that killed my guys and gave him the building and the win at the end of T2.

In the second game, Neil set up very heavily up front, with over half of his strength in and around the Z6 building. I set up to try and pull off the same thing he had done to me, but realized at the beginning of turn 2 that he had set up very effectively to stop me from easily encircling him. So I decided to set my sights further down the field. Keeping a few squads back to keep some pressure on his troops around Z6, I moved the lion's share of my troops, plus all my reinforcements, down the flanks and into the town. Neil mistimed his withdrawal by one turn, and a couple of decent MCs for my guys moving around the sides meant that by turn 4 I was gaining lodgement in the town, had encircled what troops he had between the town and Z6, and was on the way to capturing that. Neil decided at that point to concede.

This is a funny scenario. ROAR has it almost 2-1 in favour of the Germans, admittedly with only 23 playings, and two of those are the ones I just described. It seems to me that the Belgian player must set up pretty much perfectly to avoid losing. Too much in the back, and he loses Z6 and the game right off. Too much up front, and he is in big trouble if the Germans bring the maximum reinforcements on either or both flanks, because he then has too little to stop the Germans occupying two or more of the multi-hex buildings in the town.

An interesting scenario, at any rate.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just wanted to check on this, which came up in my recent win as the Germans in this scenario.

My opponent believed that it was necessary for the German to take 2 buildings
to win in the end, with Z6 NOT one of the two possibilities. Your write up seemed to
agree with this ( "in the town" ). I don't see anything on the card that excludes Z6
as one of the 2 buildings required for victory.

What say you?

Thanks,

Corporal Leoce

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not that I am an expert by any means, but we certainly played it that Z6 counted. As you mention, it is a multi-hex building, and there is nothing in the VC that excludes it as a VC building after Turn 2. I just bypassed because I was planning to go for three buildings in the town, figuring that I could capture them by the end of turn 5, still giving me two turns to roll up Z6 at my leisure, while maximizing the amount of troops I had forward. My plan was to hold one of the three very lightly, forcing him to try and recapture 2 in the town, and hold Z6 to win. My opponent roundly criticized this, saying that once I controlled the open ground I should have stormed Z6 in force in turn 4, then taken and held the central building in force. I thought it smarter to spread out and give him too much to take with two turns, two AFV and 3.5 squads. We shall never know, as he conceded after I broke both his remaining leaders in turn 4.

Last edited: