J167 - Hart Attack

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[FONT=&amp]Played J167 -Hart Attack versus Jon Cole in Enrico's VASL League. Random Selection gave me the attacking Brits versus Jon's defending Germans. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Thirteen Brit squads, supported by five Grant tanks must gain 7 VP against 9.5 German squads supported by three turn three PZIIH tanks. There are seven buildings worth 1 point each to the Allies; additionally the Allies gain 1 VP for the first AFV exited off the East (German defended) side of the board and and additional 1 VP for every two tanks also exited (max 3 VP for all 5 tanks exited). The Germans also gain a point for each of the three PZIIIH tanks eliminated.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I like Gary Fortenberry's scenarios and this would be no exception.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Attached is Jon's setup (with support weapons shown as best as I remember after they unconcealed). Hindsight shows a well-balanced defense, with a few speed bumps to slow down my rush forward. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The central hedges are Cactus hedges, which require Infantry minimum move to cross, no effect on AFV movement. The orchards are olive groves, +1 Tem and +1 MP/MF. Since this this took place in Djedeida, Tunisa all surrenders had to be accepted.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Setup [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My thoughts when I first saw Jon's defense were:[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]A. The defense intended to fall back to the three wooden hexes and keep them in German hands with the addition of the three PZIIIHs. I suspected that all five 238s (one obviously deployed) were up north and five 548s were south. The Achilles heal of this defensive scheme is that the Brits can take the four Northern buildings and exit all five tanks for 7 VP and a win. So I figured the 40LL Brit gun (APCR only) must be up North to pop up, kill a Grant tank and force the Germans, to get at least one point in the wooden complex.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]B. I could easily eliminate the central two "pickets". Also threatened the southern 548 by running an AFV along the curved red arrow, getting behind the southern 548 and blasting him with both the AFV and the 9-1 stack which doubletimed/Advanced along the smaller red arrows. Additionally the Grant could follow the red arrows to M19 and threaten the village by the end of Brit turn three by passing two "11" Bog checks. The 9-1 led platoon would move along the same route and reach the outskirts of the village by my turn three. Unfortunately, I could not break the southern 548, eventually pinning him and forcing a self break escape. A 457 broke in the process (he failed 4 self rallies) and the net result was a +2 squad pickup for the Jerries.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]C. I thought that the Gun was on the northern hill and sent some deployed scouts with an 8-1 to check out the scene, with a couple of 458/Lmgs for fire support should the gun emerge and secondarily, to deal with the 548 on the hill. This all ended when the Gun emerged as shown and destroyed my AFV as shown on turn two.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Jon moved his Northern units south as shown on his initial turns. A synopsis of turns two and three follows.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]With the 40LL gun revealed, my remaining three northern Grants had free reign and the southern Grant passed his two Bog checks and threatened the town.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Mr. 9-2 (with his 8-0 sidekick) led a few squads, the HMG and MMG through the central woods and broke/Elr'd a few Germans retreating to the wooden village.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I trapped a 548/Mtr in the central olive grove and he obliged by failing his first MC badly. I paralyzed the J3 hill 548 with fire and a motion Grant.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Life was good, Jon's "8" morale guys had obviously been out whoring and drinking, failing a bunch of morale checks.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The law of averages is a nasty reality. The paralyzed, pinned and CX, 548 on hill hex J3 rolled CC snakes against the motion Grant, generated an 8-1 leader, thus destroying the Grant without a subsequent dr. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I saw a golden opportunity and ran the southern 9-1/457/457/248/Atr past the marsh hex in a stack, thus cleverly avoiding a Lmg firelane while taking an 8+1 548/Lmg shot. They all broke, save one brave 457 who then pinned at the sight of his sniveling commander.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Jon coalesced his defense nicely in the northern stone buildings, with 2.5 548s, a 9-1 the 238/Mtr (in the road between the two buildings) and the 40LL guarding their backdoor. A 238/Mmg stood over-watch on the large central Olive Grove hill and his three PzIIIHs entered as shown on the following picture (start of Brit turn 4).[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Suddenly, I caught a glimpse of that little bastard "defeat is an orphan" smiling from one of the wooden village buildings. My southern Grant took revenge on the 548/Lmg that tormented my 9-1 and Cr'd/broke and Eld'd him.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I knew that I would eventually take the three stone central buildings, and probably protect the single northern stone building after dispatching a much needed 8-0/447 to help the 247 custodian. My southern Grant would be able to exit if he made an "11" Bog check in O20 with all MP on turn five.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]That would total 5 VP of the seven needed. So I needed to kill some PZIIIHs and/or take some wooden buildings after rallying the 9-1.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I swarmed the central buildings as the infantry up there was expendable and if things went my way, some could CX down to help the wooden village assault- no time to dally.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My I8 tank with two broken MGs, survived a placed DC, moved to I10 to duel the PZIIIH in L11, didn't survive that as Jon's PZIIIH smoked him with APCR.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Below is the result of the Brit turn 4.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The central buildings were devoid of Germans, save the 9-1 who ambushed a 247 and found himself encircled in an upper floor location. Most of the other German infantry failed morale checks, those that didn't died in CC.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My southern good order 457 and 248 headed to the wooden town and my Grant moved to B20 to use all his MP in O20 on turn 5, made his Bog check in turn 5 and exited on turn 6 for a VP.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Brit Turn 4[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Turn 5 saw the German forces stream back to the wooden buildings leaving a 238/Mmg in an over-watch position. My stone build Brits skipped their tea break and ran towards the wooden buildings.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The southern 9-1 rallied himself, a 457 and the 248/Atr and also sprinted for town, Jon's AFVs eliminated the former southern 247 Mtr halfsquad in D'fire.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The most significant turn 5 event was a running tank battle between the northern Grant and PZIIIH. Each side missed shots, the Grant malf'd its 37L on an IF shot. The duel ended when the Grant's B75 rolled a bounding fire snakes from M8 at the motion PZIIIH in O8, luckily blazing his prey.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]That gave my Brits 6 of the required 7 VP points (4 for stone buildings, 1 for Grant exit and 1 for the blazing PZIIIH).[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Brit turn 6 (after prep and some movement)
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The following is the battle after my turn 6 Prep fire and successful smoke grenade placement/assault move by 9-1/457. The 9-2/458/Lmg stack would survive DFire, overrun the 8-0/Atr, eliminating him and grabbing his Atr with its last MP for style points.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The southern 248/Atr assault moved for a better side shot on a PZIIIH, but broke as would the O17 Prep fired 457 to a series of shots from the PZIIIHs. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Everyone not breaking moved in for CC.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]German turn 6 before advance[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The CC/melee results were that I captured building N15 with a 228/228/CX237.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]That group withstood a hellacious amount of German turn 6 Prep/Bounding fire with only the CX 237 and one 228 pinning.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My 9-2/457/Lmg broke his 8-1/548 in D'fire and two German 238s advanced into N15 for CC.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]They ambushed but rolled a "6" on their 1-2 CC attack and I maintained my 7th point to win by the skin of my chinny, chin, chin.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Denouement[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Well played by both sides, really a tense scenario. You should play it.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Rich[/FONT]

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the great AAR Rich! I like this scenario and was surprised it went 5-2 pro British at the St Louis Tournament. I have a nice German defense so I kinda like the Germans ( it's a secret). It's a good fight, glad you enjoyed it.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the Germans go for the board edge, in your face, stuff'em defense. Also, the SSR makes those hedges tougher than wire to cross it seems, this will channel the attack for sure. If you plan it,virtually every entry hex can be engaged with fire and a wall of resid and criss crossing fire lanes built up. This make life tough right from the get go. After the Brits enter the non engaged Germans retreat or attack/harass from the flanks.

Last edited:

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great AAR Rich, as I mentioned before I think this is the best scenario from Journal 11 and your AAR attests to it

Did you not bypass O20 with the Grant and risk bog because you didn't think it was bypassable? Think that's a big difference between the physical board and the VASL board for this scenario

Last edited:

MajorDomo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did not think O20 looked bypassable on the VASL board.

Just went back and used the VASL bypass tool (an nice extension) and O20 is not bypassable. If I had tried bypass and failed, I would have had to stop, backup and then crash into O20 with 1/2 MP and to make it off in time.

Rich

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
[FONT=&amp]There are seven buildings worth 1 point each to the Germans; additionally the Germans gain 1 VP for the first AFV exited off the East (German defended) side of the board and and additional 1 VP for every two tanks also exited (max 3 VP for all 5 tanks exited). The Germans also gain a point for each of the three Grant tanks eliminated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp][/FONT]
I think you mean "Allies" and "Pz III" here.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good AAR Rich, I ended up playing my local buddy (Steve Rogers) at the Chi-Town Open in this one with a forward defense, but was torn up when I couldn't seem to hit the broad side of a barn early. It turned out to be a good scenario though & I agree with Bob, I still think a forward-fall back defense is the best approach but would drift the better part of my German forces towards the stone buildings as they're harder to root a defender out of while the wooden ones are a bit harder to get to anyway for the attacker. The attack seems fairly standard (but then again, you don't have too many options anyway), but seems well executed. We had a good time with this one as well.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this earlier in the VASL league - it is an excellent scenario. I lost some armor early to the gun place in on the northern hill. That put a little too much pressure on the Brits causing me to make a few more mistakes. Resulting in a German win.

I would gladly play this one again as either side.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I played it on the weekend and won as the German.

Not sure on the up-front defense but there are many options on both sides and I agree that this is a very good, closely balanced scenario.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree this is a great scenario and would play either side.
Do not agree with an "up front" German defense though as the Brit should roll it up rather quickly. Any doubt: ask Rich Spilky how the first British turn went in St. Louis. The only way the German in an up front position could stop the British vehicles would be if they had PFs, which they do not. Just roll up, bound fire, break, and mop up the prisoners.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do not agree with an "up front" German defense though as the Brit should roll it up rather quickly. Any doubt: ask Rich Spilky how the first British turn went in St. Louis. The only way the German in an up front position could stop the British vehicles would be if they had PFs, which they do not. Just roll up, bound fire, break, and mop up the prisoners.
We'll have to play it then. I get the Germans.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We'll have to play it then. I get the Germans.
That is why I love this game.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played it twice and these were two very good games. Balanced and replayable as well.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played it twice and these were two very good games. Balanced and replayable as well.
I played it at the ATL Tournament. I won as the Brits but it was very close. I like Bob's idea of an upfront defense. My opponent did not choose to got that route--I think it cost him. Had I been delayed one turn I think he would have won.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doug,
I read both yours and Dave's post on your final at ATL. Saw that it was a very close game. I still don't see an upfront German defense working out very well however. I played Rich Spilky and he set everything but the AT gun as far forward as he could covering almost every entry hex on the left side of the board. He weakly defended the choke points on the right side of the board where the woods dominate.
I overloaded the Brit entry on the left side so as to face 75% of his force immediately. I ran the vehicles in his face, bounded, and broke 3.5 squads clearing an entry up the left road. I ran one vehicle up the left side and into his hex to cancel his fire lane on the left edge. With relatively clear sailing at that point, I was able to cx the 8-1 and three squads right up the road with the 9-2 and 3 elites right behind. By turn 2, I was already pressing the two hex stone building and inhibiting his retreat to the northern buildings.
On the weakly defended right, I was able to surround and kill for FTR one squad choking the road and was able to run 3 1/2 squads all the way to the back buildings before his tanks even entered.
I think with a timid attacker an up front defense may work as the delay will cost him. However, an aggressive attack, punching a hole in the defense opens up a quick route to the buildings and the Germans will have to scramble to get back, because if they don't beat the Brit back to the buildings, it will be hard for them to recapture them. Also, the German can't count on his armor for too much as the ami tanks far outclass them and they can't afford a trade due to the VC point condition.
I would still play either side in this one and consider it well balanced. But the German must hold the 3 southern buildings, not lose any vehicles, have maximum AT gun placement, and defend in force the northern buildings. Just sayin'......

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave,
Interesting thoughts, so if you were playing Bendis (a very skilled and aggressive attacker for those who don't know him) what would you be willing to give up as the Brits to get the attacker? For simplicity let's say how many turns or tanks or squads. So if the current scenario is 60/40 with an aggressive attacker how do you think the odds change if you gave up 1 turn OR 1 tank OR a couple squads? Look forward to your thoughts. Others are welcome to pitch in too.
Paul

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Granted my German setup is a bit gambity but it is possible for a board edge massacre if you pick the wrong spot to try a blitz. The Germans have a few dummy counters so the Brits would have to guess and risk or take a turn behind that wall. Actually, the defense I have in mind is a end game defense. I have a few choice spots for the German Tanks.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is my two fold answer to both Paul and Bob.
Paul: I would not give up anything to play the attacker. I believe the scenario is fairly balanced as it is, so I would have no problem taking either side. As the German, however, I would never set up forward or risk my armor. As for playing an aggressive attacker, I would expect no less from any player as I am very aggressive myself.
Bob: It seems that by your last post you are contemplating a more conservative defense. Wise thought. Although an up front defense will end the scenario quickly with a timid attacker, it will destroy you against an aggressive one. I, too, have a pretty good defense for this scenario, and have won with it. But I would not hesitate to be the attacker as there are many routes that can lead to success.
As with all good tactics, exploit the opponents weaknesses and play to your forces strong points.
Again: either side for me. The only balance I have conceded to an opponent in this scenario was to let my German opponent upgrade his MMG to a HMG. It had little consequence.

MajorDomo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Granted my German setup is a bit gambity but it is possible for a board edge massacre if you pick the wrong spot to try a blitz. The Germans have a few dummy counters so the Brits would have to guess and risk or take a turn behind that wall. Actually, the defense I have in mind is a end game defense. I have a few choice spots for the German Tanks.
The Germans do not have any dummy counters.

I think it is fairly close to even, so would not want to give up balance to get the Germans, even versus an attacking stud like Mr. Bendis.

ROAR has it 7-7.

Rich