J157 Rage Against the Machine SSR question.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We're about to start this scenario but looking at SSR#2 it begs a question. Concerning the German leaders and optional PF usage. I assume that the German leaders all will begin with PFs. But they can carry only one, and the SSR states that these are deducted from the total PFs allocated. 21 PFs are allocated due to date and Squad equivalents and MMCs aren't permitted to utilize them by SSR I believe. So, my take is that MMCs can fire PFs in the normal fashion. Are they simply deducted from that same total? Also, can a leader get another PF from a MMC that might be carrying extras? How did you handle this SSR? Thanks in advance for your help.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
We're about to start this scenario but looking at SSR#2 it begs a question. Concerning the German leaders and optional PF usage. I assume that the German leaders all will begin with PFs. But they can carry only one, and the SSR states that these are deducted from the total PFs allocated. 21 PFs are allocated due to date and Squad equivalents and MMCs aren't permitted to utilize them by SSR I believe.
Correct.

So, my take is that MMCs can fire PFs in the normal fashion.
Correct.

Are they simply deducted from that same total?
Yes.

Also, can a leader get another PF from a MMC that might be carrying extras?
No, when a MMC find a PF it has to fired it, C13.31: "...If the final PF Check dr is a 1-3, the unit has a PF and an opportunity to fire it and must attempt a To Hit DR on the C3 To Hit Table...."

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Klaus, so there is no way for the SMCs to huddle with an MMC and trade for another PF?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, because the PF for MMCs never take counter form. Like Klas said, you roll for it, get it and it must be used immediately so it's not hanging around ready to be traded for a bar of chocolate or girlie mag. That being said, I played this scenario recently with @shirlfactor and I burned three AFVs with the inherent PFs and a leader rolled for another one in desperation later in the game and burned another one. That scenario was a blast. We took it down to the last Russian MPh before it was decided that the victory conditions couldn't be met.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Thanks Klaus, so there is no way for the SMCs to huddle with an MMC and trade for another PF?
No. I think the PF recorded at the start can be transferred between different leaders though.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now, as Klas stated they can't get a PF from an MMC, but a leader can always roll for a PF. In this scenario, a non-CX SMC firing at an AFV can get a PF on a dr of 1.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right, so after the initial PF is shot, German SMCs can then go for normal PF usage? This is my take.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could be wrong, but I don't think the usage of C13.311 precludes the SMC from making additional PF checks later in the game.