J144 Three For The Third

ironmike1944

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Getting ready to play (J144 Three For the Third) tomorrow against a very experienced opponent as the Americans. I am torn as to what which AFV Group as should choose. My Options are as follows:

M21 MC Mortar Halftrack x 2 or M18 MGMC and an M8 Armored Car.

The Mortar Halftracks with give the American Player additional WP smoke capability, However, the depletion number is only a seven and are vulnerable to the German Aircraft.
The M18 MGMC Halftrack has an IFT Equivalent of 24 out to 16 Hexes, and can come in handy vs the German Aircraft, however it is vulnerable to small arms firepower and has no smoke capability,, exception vehicle smoking wreck.
The M8 Armored Car has a Cannister 7 Depletion Number and can possible take out a German Tank that gets careless with a Bounding Fire Shot. It also has a smoke pot usage number of 5.

Some tough choices indeed, just wanted to get your thoughts on this, BTW, I have never played this one. Wish me luck ?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good luck.

My Vehicle notes show the M21 having WP8 but they are not from the newer Yanks Module.

Depends on whether you have groups A, B or C available to add to your at start OoB.

The 80+ OBA has WP so you may not need the M21s. I'd go with the M16 MGMC and the M8 Greyhound in this case.

If you take the M4 (105) and the M21s you have lots of WP and HE ability. An M21 still has 8 FP with an ATT and a good ROF. They also have a 4 FP AA MG that can be used in AA mode while the Mortars fire.

If you have a FB available it may tie down a German FB in Aerial Melee. Then I'd go with the M21s again.

The more I see the scenarios with options or points to buy the OoB the more I like them.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The more I see the scenarios with options or points to buy the OoB the more I like them.
The hard part is to make the choices difficult. Add to that (in this case), the individual scenario choices must be balanced with long-term planning of the CG. Sometimes they are not as difficult if only playing the scenario alone.