J139 Ride of the 200th

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NRBH, but except as stated otherwise, huts are treated as wooden Single Story Houses. I don't think this prohibits routing to them. However, I'm often wrong.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
NRBH, but except as stated otherwise, huts are treated as wooden Single Story Houses. I don't think this prohibits routing to them. However, I'm often wrong.
No it doesn't.

But unfortunately now that they are huts, they are hindrances and not obstacles, which means the IJA can see enemy units in all directions.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I always liked the looks of this one on the card, and your playing seems to bear out my hunch. Whether it is balanced or not, it looks to be FUN, and that is my first criteria! So it will be on my table this weekend! Pulling the pieces and noticed there are only two L3/35(i) in the official countermix, where four are actually needed. I know you can 'create' a division of them on VASL, or actual Italian ones could be substituted, but situations like this always make me glad that I have two punched sets of each nationality. o_O [The vehicular dust rules are such a neat twist in this one.]

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I always liked the looks of this one on the card, and your playing seems to bear out my hunch. Whether it is balanced or not, it looks to be FUN, and that is my first criteria! So it will be on my table this weekend! Pulling the pieces and noticed there are only two L3/35(i) in the official countermix, where four are actually needed. I know you can 'create' a division of them on VASL, or actual Italian ones could be substituted, but situations like this always make me glad that I have two punched sets of each nationality. o_O [The vehicular dust rules are such a neat twist in this one.]
Thanks for the headsup about L3/35(i) .. this is going to be one of the scenarios at Angkorfest. Good thing I have a spare set of Chinese counters as well (or your Italian counters :) )!

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Jackson, after setting up, I have a couple of questions to pose to you [assuming there was no errata for this scenario]. It would appear your game has GMD units entering from the north, whereas the entry instructions for the GMD specify entering only on the east edge. Those two L3/35(i) in the northwestern portion of your top pic don't seem right. Am I missing something there?

Also, did you guys play using the following guide:

A2.5 At what level are off-board hexes treated to be at?
A. For boards, those hexes are generally at level zero; some SSRs modify this

Although one could enter an AFV on HOBI-P5, it would cost 5MP [4+1]. Entry of P6 southwards would not be possible due to double/triple-crest lines. Considering everything northwards of HOBII-P7 is double/triple-crestlines as well, this leaves a very limited, and vulnerable, entry area for the GMD. Barring an SSR to deal with the level of the off-map hexes, I wonder what the designer's intentions were?

Just curious how you gents are playing it.....

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Jackson, after setting up, I have a couple of questions to pose to you [assuming there was no errata for this scenario]. It would appear your game has GMD units entering from the north, whereas the entry instructions for the GMD specify entering only on the east edge. Those two L3/35(i) in the northwestern portion of your top pic don't seem right. Am I missing something there?

Although one could enter an AFV on HOBI-P5, it would cost 5MP [4+1]. Entry of P6 southwards would not be possible due to double/triple-crest lines. Considering everything northwards of HOBII-P7 is double/triple-crestlines as well, this leaves a very limited, and vulnerable, entry area for the GMD. Barring an SSR to deal with the level of the off-map hexes, I wonder what the designer's intentions were?

They all came from the east. The L3/35 crossed the hills from the east.

Our TD decided to assume that offboard is at the same level as the joining hex. But you made a great point about the entry hexes. Lemme double check.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Heya Chris - just heard back - entry hexes are at ZERO level. Thanks much and have fun! Rgds Jack

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Very fun scenario, Jackson! GMD had just managed to Control 11 Huts by the end of their final 1/2 turn, but the IJA took two back in their final 1/2 turn for the win! The power of the Banzai is very strong in the final IJA 1/2 turn! Got my first Hut OVR in this one as well.

Attachments

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You put your IJA forward. The Chinese did try to come thru on the hills on the right flank. I am guessing that's where your infantry gun was?

Look at all those huts on fire - point blank fire? Niiiccce

Very fun scenario, Jackson! GMD had just managed to Control 11 Huts by the end of their final 1/2 turn, but the IJA took two back in their final 1/2 turn for the win! The power of the Banzai is very strong in the final IJA 1/2 turn! Got my first Hut OVR in this one as well.

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
You put your IJA forward.
In the hill-huts, yes. A small leader-led reserve was kept back to react to the direction of the GMD entry.
The Chinese did try to come thru on the hills on the right flank.
All of the GMD entered in from about the middle of the valley to the level one hill at the south of it. L3/35(i) out in the open as they were the hardest to hit on the move (+2 Motion, +2 Very small target). One big, multi-layered blob using as much Armored Assault as possible. HOBI-P5 was the crucial entry hex, hard for the IJA to fire on and plenty of orchard hindrance to go forward from.
Look at all those huts on fire - point blank fire?
Only two were caught fire with PBF, the rest spread quickly from those two eventual blazes. Seemed like 75%+ of the Spreading DR were '9' or above!