J114 Marketplace at Wormhoudt SSR OBA question

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An SSR-specific clarification is needed before we start this game tomorrow.

Re OBA SSR3 states "...place an SR (battery access is automatic), roll for accuracy (treat the observer as an observation plane: E7.6); Accuracy occurs on a dr of 1, and extent of error is halved (FRU); this converts automatically to an FFE1 (correction is NA)."

Question: is this the sequence per the SSR such that the OBA comes down strictly per the SSR OR is a sighting task check required for this sequence since it is an observation plane (meaning the Germans may end up with NO OBA)?

Thanks in advance!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since the SR placement (and Battery Access) is automatic there is no need for for a sighting TC per E7.61 as the Sighting TC is made to request Battery Access. At this point he is governed by the provisions of C1.33-.337 which may preclude conversion to an FFE based upon the presence of known (to him) enemy units [NOTE special LOS & KEU definition for aircraft (E7.25)]. Therefore if the observer persists in placing the SR next to only unknown an unit(s) there is a chance it may never be converted to an FFE and thus he would in essence lose his OBA in that fashion as it must be accomplished during Turn 1 per SSR3 or he may cancel his OBA on his own volition.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, no sighting task check. Good.

So, once I do accuracy dr and it lands wherever it lands, it converts immediately regardless of what is there, I.e., a concealed unit, unconcealed unit or no unit(s) at all...correct? Since there is no draw pile, there is no extra chit to take since the SSR says it converts automatically, correct?

I am thinking the SSR language is the explicit method for bringing in the OBA versus having to draw an extra chit which would potentially cause the loss of contact/access.

Last edited:

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

So, once I do accuracy dr and it lands wherever it lands, it converts immediately regardless of what is there, I.e., a concealed unit, unconcealed unit or no unit(s) at all...correct? Since there is no draw pile, there is no extra chit to take since the SSR says it converts automatically, correct?

I am thinking the SSR language is the explicit method for bringing in the OBA versus having to draw an extra chit which would potentially cause the loss of contact/access.
The way I read the SSR the SR automatically converts where ever it lands (no LOS is needed) and whatever is there. You only need an LOS to the location with the AR.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

It sounds like a round about way using rules to accomplish a simple pre-game arty strike that actually doesn't use the all the associated rules anyway. The could have written an SSR any way they wanted and shortened up the thought process to arrive at the same outcome but it sounds pretty straight forward what they're after is a 1st turn arty strike. Sometimes I think it's better if the designer just states what they're after avoiding the rules manipulation which may obfuscate the intent and just uses the KISS (Keep it Simple Soldier) principal to explain how to go about it to arrive at what they want.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The way I read the SSR the SR automatically converts where ever it lands (no LOS is needed) and whatever is there. You only need an LOS to the location with the AR.
This was essentially my interpretation -- a simplified way to be sure to get an OBA mission down. I felt I was clear until I looked up the reference to the observation plane, then started to doubt myself. Tom cleared up the issue about the sighting attempt. So, at worse the observation plane's LOS is what is left to consider. In this case the initial placement of the spotting round.

Agreed this could have been written more clearly -- or maybe I just started to overthink it once I looked up the spotter plane reference.

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note: Vic confirmed the "simplified" interpretation in a private message. Thanks to all for the help!