J101 Ssr

da priest

Reaction score
With this SSR, is a yahtzee possible on turn one to let in all 4 of the Jap groups?:shock:

I think so..but doesn't seem right..:

5. Prior to Turn 1, divide the Japanese off-board reinforcements into four groups each with an equal numher of MMC and leaders. Each Japanese RPh, make one dr for each group and halve it (FRU). If a group rolls <= the Turn number it may enter in the upcoming MPh. Otherwise, the group with the lowest roll may enter each turn. More than one group may enter each turn.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The odds of rolling four 1's and 2's or four of the same number on the first turn seem low, but possible. Seems like war ain't as predictable as it used to be. :nervous:

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
da priest said:
With this SSR, is a yahtzee possible on turn one to let in all 4 of the Jap groups?:shock:
It seems so...

I think so..but doesn't seem right..:
I agree with you. The fact that it is very unlikely to happen, doesn't help very much when it actually happens and thereby unbalances a scenario.

Maximum two groups per turn or something like that would (IMHO) be a good way of balancing it.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maximum two groups per turn or something like that would (IMHO) be a good way of balancing it.
That would depend on the playtest results. Seems like you would have to play this one with four groups entering on turn one and then once with the minimum entering per turn to see if it remains balanced. I would hope that the designer considered all the relevant permutations.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Larry said:
That would depend on the playtest results.
But I would assume that the scenario is playtested to be balanced with the average number of reinforcements each turn.

And since the average will be between one and two groups the first turn, I'm pretty sure that getting more than two would be a great benefit to the Japanese, and thereby unbalance the scenario.

Seems like you would have to play this one with four groups entering on turn one and then once with the minimum entering per turn to see if it remains balanced. I would hope that the designer considered all the relevant permutations.
But it must be better to get four groups than one - unless there are some other factor that balances it (shorther number of turns, harder VC etc.), so the scenario cannot be equally balanced for 1 and 4 groups on the first turn without other balancing measures.

To me it looks like the scenario may be 70% pro-Japanese if all 4 comes on turn 1, and 70% the other way if only one group comes each of the 4 turns. Overall, it may be 50%, but that doesn't help the player who opposes a Japanese who gets all four groups at once.

(The 30-70 numbers were picked from thin air).

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A 13% probability of getting 3 or 4 groups on the first turn seems like an awfully high probability to ignore. Granted the chance of getting all four groups is less than 1%, but three groups is significant. :crosseye:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this twice and found that the biggest dice factor is whether the British get both OBAs in front of their force. If they do and the radios stay working, it is much bigger factor than when the groups enter IMHO.
Rich