J 160 Bienen Burnout

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My long-time friend and ASL conspecific Dave Haasl and I have been working our way through all the scenarios in Journal 10, starting with the Grinding Mill and concluding with this one, J 160 Bienen Burnout.

BB is a late-war German vs. Canadian action which features a collection of 4-6-7s, 4-4-7s, and 5-4-8s squaring off against a large, well-equipped force of 4-5-8s who are backed by some Shermans and two Wasps. You can tell who's going to draw the bulk of German fire, should the little monsters close for a shot.

The Germans also get a Panzer IV, and two JagdPanzer IVs, plus a Field Phone with HE-only access to a battery of 80+ OBA.

The Canadian objective is to take 5 of six multi-hex stone buildings from the Germans, and do that by the end of 6.5 turns.

Per a rotation worked out when we started playing the scenarios in this Journal, I am the defender and Dave will assume the role of the attacking Canadians.

Turn 1 started with Dave attempting to Smoke German forward assets. This is a smart move on the part of the Canadians; between their mortars and their Shermans they have a wealth of SMOKE assets. Dave's dice don't seem aware of that fact, as he Depletes Smoke twice in two placement attempts. He does find WP, and places it in the hex with my 9-2 and the HMG team he's directing. Fortunately the NMC does nothing.

Dave does however manage to light up my Panzer IV on something like the first non-SMOKE shot of the game. I'd thought it'd be safe where I'd placed it, between the usual needing at least a couple of shots to get a hit and a reasonably decent chance of shrugging off the hit, if hit. Wrong. Hit, kill, burn.

I should point out that Dave doesn't miss very often, and that on this outing he was wont to roll a lot of 3s.

No matter, I have that OBA battery which is going to flummox the advancing Canadians but good. If you look at the attached imagery, you'll note the wealth of OG and Plowed Fields that the Canadians have to cover in order to get at the Germans and into Bienen. You may rest assured that my Observer is overwatching the preponderance of that terrain.

Dave's Wasps both go into action, with one of them scoring big on a 12 straight FT shot on an MG nest and getting something like a 2 MC. I counter by rolling HOB with the 8-1 leader directing the stack, who both Battle Hardens and goes Heroic as well. One of the squads breaks, but the other also rolls snakes, and BHs as well. Elsewhere, Canadian fire has broken a 7-0 leader, but has also instilled a sense of blind fury in the squad stacked with him as they roll a 9 on an HOB MC. Yes, you read that correctly, before the end of German Defensive Fire on Canadian Turn 1, I have rolled 3 HOB results, generating one Berserk squad, one Heroic BH leader, and one BH squad.

German Final Fire sees the Germans drawing a red chit for their OBA, natch. All those Canadians out in the open... But no matter, there's still Prep Fire. Meanwhile, a JagdPanzer nails a Sherman, and the HMG enveloped in WP succeeds in breaking a squad toting a PIAT, and a leader as well. One of the Wasps is tagged with a Stun, from the MMG that was part of kill-stack it shot at.

Advancing Fire brings little in addition, and the game progresses to my half of the Game Turn. All those Canadians are still either amongst trees or in the open, just begging for OBA to smite them. I'm too happy to deliver, and then...

You guessed it. Red chit. My second. No OBA for the Germans, not for the rest of the game. Sigh...

Meanwhile, the Canadians kill a squad outright when Dave rolls very low on an IFT attack, and kill another when Dave -thinking he's shooting at Dummies- scores a 3 on a 4-1 attack. Dave is right, he is shooting at Dummies, the Dummy being me for forgetting to move or attack with the 8-1/5-4-8/LMG in that hex. The squad dies and the leader breaks, and the LMG is left for some Canuck to scoop up. The Berserker -who was also holding a Light- also buys a dirt-nap courtesy of Dave and his positively-glowing dice.

I should be thankful for what HOB has given me, and I am, but I'd sure like to have gotten off a shot with my OBA. It's going to be a long scenario, without it.

BD

Attachments

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You guessed it. Red chit. My second. No OBA for the Germans, not for the rest of the game. Sigh...

I should be thankful for what HOB has given me, and I am, but I'd sure like to have gotten off a shot with my OBA. It's going to be a long scenario, without it.
That's why we use the following at Albany:
"Pleva OBA Rule – Every time you draw a red card (including the first red card), put it back along with another red card. The battery is never lost due to drawing two red cards. Extra card draw mechanics remain the same."

Getting no OBA is bad enough, but the opponent knowing there will be no OBA is too much. It can ruin a scenario with OBA. Also, radios repair on a 1-2 and a 6 will not X it out...
Steve

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This one give the Germans a Field Phone, which will X on a 12. Not that it matters, for reasons enumerated.

I am probably going to lose this one, I was really counting on OBA to rough up some Canadians and either disrupt their attack such that they couldn't quite get to the last building, or maul them and leave Dave with too few Canucks to make a go of it.

I still have an intact force, though; and we all sport a fulgence of PF. There are also a couple of PSk lurking about. Dave's attack will depend a lot on how many Shermans retain their capacity to make SMOKE of some sort. If I can kill or render hors d'combat a couple more of them, and the Wasps, and if I can keep the Canadians on their collective back-foot, then maybe...

Given the bipolar mood swings the dice have shown us both, I'm not expecting a lot of love. Then again, given how impartial the mood-swings have been maybe getting lucky will be good enough. No, I don't mind winning because I was lucky.

BD

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think the Germans are still in the game without any OBA. The loss of the Mk IV for no gain is less encouraging. (I like to place it in a stone building at start. I also like to defend the AA building with two or three concealed units with LMG. His WP hit spoiled the fun. Otherwise SMOKE in that building is your friend.)

Fun scenario.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tough luck on the OBA, but good luck on all the snakes. I love the Pleva OBA rule. We've taken to using it here at home. I played a scenario with my regular VASL opponent and I suggested it, even sent him the rules in a PDF, because I knew the OBA was key to the scenario we were playing. He declined to use it. You guessed. He drew two straight reds to start the game. :D

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the Germans are still in the game without any OBA.
Agreed, it's just going to be tougher.

The loss of the Mk IV for no gain is less encouraging.
I was counting on that one taking down a Sherman, and that a Sherman would need a couple of PT before it got a hit. Still, lots of PF and a couple of Psk to deal with.

I need to keep my head in the game, though. I've made two significant mental lapses. Dave usually punishes me severely when I do that.

BD